#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:14 PM

Just made my annual grain order from the LHBS:  3 x 55lb bags of Weyermann Pils malt, 2 x 55 lb bags of Weyermann light Munich, and 1 x 55 lb of Weyermann pale wheat malts.

This ought to hold me over for the next year-ish.

The goal: to not have to buy beer at the store for the next year or so.

The background: I've gotten fed up with how much store-bought beer has jumped in price over the last few years, and to me, when SNBC, Great Lakes, etc., started hitting the $10/sixer price point earlier this year, that's too much.

12-packs of bottles are also up to ~$17 for SNBC, and I've been buying at least one 12-pack of bottles a week during our weekly shop, for the last 2-3 years, which is getting to be a bit spendy.

The grain order was a little pricey, but I'll make it up before too long by saving $$$ at the grocery store every week.

And I get to brew more often, and that is awesome.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

Sounds like a completely reasonable plan to me. Your beer is probably beer than most of it anyways. I have been let down by so much commercial beer as of late.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

I spend so little time buying liquor/grocery beer anymore I am about out of touch.  Maybe a few pints out and about - but that's more for selection and atmosphere.  I hardly ever buy store beer when in town.

Oh, not enough grain.

B)

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:47 PM

I ordered 2 more Vittles Vaults from Amazon.com, for a grand total of 6, so I've got enough storage for each sack of grain.

Yes, I too have been rather disappointed in a lot of commercial beers in the last 2-3 years, so making more of my own is a good thing.

I agree in principle :lol: (about not enough grain), but in practice, I think I'll be able to maintain a decent pipeline of beer with 330 lbs of grain.

My LHBS grain guru was rather surprised when I ordered 6 bags of grain (I usually order 4 for a year's brewing); when I told him I was brewing to cut out store-bought beer, not only did he understand, even he suggested I buy more grain.  :frank:

Edited by Bklmt2000, 20 April 2015 - 06:48 PM.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

The goal: to not have to buy beer at the store for the next year or so.

I am right there with you.  I made the decision earlier this year and I have bought very little commercial beer this year compared to what I would in previous years.  A few here of there for parties or to try something interesting but for the most part I am just drinking my own and really loving it.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:33 PM

I spend so little time buying liquor/grocery beer anymore I am about out of touch.

That's me. You guys are always talking about this or that commercial beer and I generally have no clue what you're talking about. Bklmt2000, I agree that your plan sounds totally reasonable. I almost NEVER buy commercial beer anymore... I brew what I drink and drink what I brew!

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:11 AM

I don't buy commercial beer but I still have 6 or so in the fridge.  people keep giving me stuff.

had a ballast point sculpin the other day - that was great.  think I'll be making something with Amarillo and simcoe soon...

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:19 AM

I don't buy commercial beer but I still have 6 or so in the fridge.  people keep giving me stuff.

had a ballast point sculpin the other day - that was great.  think I'll be making something with Amarillo and simcoe soon...

Not sure you can go wrong with that combo.  One of my favorites

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:21 AM

Very inspirational thread. I still buy what I like to call R&D beer :) Then there's certain beers I'd hate to make a 5 gallon experiment/mistake with such as a porter or stout. My wife and I love to split a 10%'er in the evenings so I usually pick up some; Palo Santo, Narwal etc...... I guess I should find a good recipe for a porter/stout and give it a go.I too will start making more and buying less.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:23 AM

Very inspirational thread. I still buy what I like to call R&D beer :) Then there's certain beers I'd hate to make a 5 gallon experiment/mistake with such as a porter or stout. My wife and I love to split a 10%'er in the evenings so I usually pick up some; Palo Santo, Narwal etc...... I guess I should find a good recipe for a porter/stout and give it a go.I too will start making more and buying less.

Stouts have never been something I made much of.  I think for the same reason you cite.  I could bottle a batch but that is way too much work for me.  I am sure the porter I have on now will last until the fall, summer is not really porter weather to me.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:34 AM

it's always porter/stout season at my house :chug:

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:41 AM

It's almost never Porter/Stout weather in the sweltering spirit crushing heat and humidity of SFL. But at night, there's something just right about it with the Miss'us to end the day :)

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:42 AM

yeah - even when it's hot and humid in the summer I still enjoy it.

#14 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:42 AM

I've been buying a lot of ipa and session ipa this year. My local grocery store has stocked a lot of fresh stuff. I scored sixers of less than 2 week old Two Hearted for $8 per. Sweetwater just entered our market so their beer was fresh and on sale, same with 21A. Down to Earth session ipa is ok but no where good as Pinner or Easy Jack. The selection of fresh ipa is pretty amazing.

My first three kegs of the year are carbed up and ready to go. Hopefully I'll stop bleeding cash for commercial beer.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:53 AM

yeah - even when it's hot and humid in the summer I still enjoy it.

I guess I could try a foreign extra stout.

My taps right now are 2 hoppy, porter, smokey brown and then 2 on the kegerator for a sour and brett beer.

#16 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:02 AM

My plan for this brew year is to brew more batches of moderate O.G.'s, to not only stretch my grain supply, but also to moderate my consumption.

I generally have a couple pints a night, and when those pints are the more spendy, store-bought beers, (and sometimes higher-octane beers at that), things get pricey and fast.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

I guess I could try a foreign extra stout.

My taps right now are 2 hoppy, porter, smokey brown and then 2 on the kegerator for a sour and brett beer.

I have a toned down version of the foreign export stout on tap right now.  came out nice.  porter would fulfill a similar need for me though.

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:29 AM

I've always felt like brewing your own beer to save money is like buying a fishing boat to save money on fish.

#19 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

it's always porter/stout season at my house :chug:

Oh yeah! Here, too.I make 3-4 times as much brown to black beer as I do yellow beer. I buy yellow beer more often than that, mostly because that's most of what's out there, sometimes because I stumble on a good Lager, but also to have an occasional IPA, since I don't bother make those.

#20 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

I've always felt like brewing your own beer to save money is like buying a fishing boat to save money on fish.

If you already have the boat and are buying a couple of sixers of fish per week and you like fishing then you might as well drink your own fish. Or something  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users