#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:12 PM

:covreyes:  Recirculated each line for 15 minutes with BLC mixed a little strong.  What I poured down the drain was not pretty.  Beer tastes good though.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53988 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

I seem to get some crud when the hot Oxi solution goes through the lines. Then a Starsan run after that. I just cleaned mine about a month ago but thanks for the reminder just the same... it needs to be done occasionally.

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:39 PM

I'm always pleasantly surprised at how much better a beer tastes after the lines get a good cleaning.

I need to not only clean my lines (thanks for the reminder, dj!), i need to post some pics of my pond-pump line cleaning setup, in case anyone's interested.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:56 PM

I'm always pleasantly surprised at how much better a beer tastes after the lines get a good cleaning.I need to not only clean my lines (thanks for the reminder, dj!), i need to post some pics of my pond-pump line cleaning setup, in case anyone's interested.

Please post!

#5 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:33 PM

It has been years since I've cleaned my lines. I know some of them are stained, but man, I am just too lazy to clean out that many lines.

I once tried to clean out my jockey box lines, but even after a lengthy recirculation, many of the stains didn't budge with BLC. I am tempted to try that color changing once, but those packets are expensive for how many I would need!

I am nearly to the point where I am considering just replacing the lines when needed rather than cleaning them. I never leave the lines empty, though I do know they are stained.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

I've done cleanings that expunged some seriously nasty crap from the lines.  If you've gone more than a few months you probably have some nasties in there.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:13 PM

I've done cleanings that expunged some seriously nasty crap from the lines.  If you've gone more than a few months you probably have some nasties in there.

I clean the lines every couple of kegs that go through.  I've never really gotten anything that nasty to come out.  I'm not sure if that means I'm doing a good job or a really poor one :lol:

#8 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:00 PM

I clean the lines on my setup every 2 months.  OxyClean and then BLC.  I also take apart the faucets and manually clean all the parts in the faucet.  Takes about 1 to 1.5 hours for the 4 lines, but it really makes a big difference. 

#9 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:47 PM

I feel like if I cleaned every 2 months, I'd be doing nothing but cleaning lines!

I am thinking more about cleaning lines now though. Maybe I'll try some PBW then star san through the lines soon.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:08 PM

How many taps are you running?

#11 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

14 in the walk-in, but I also have 13 through the jockey boxes - those are the ones that really need to be cleaned!

#12 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:24 PM

https://www.homebrew...=226497&page=10

#13 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

well, this thread has made me think more about how to easily clean my lines. I am going to look for a cheap 20 qt stainless pot, put a valve in it, and connect two beer lines together so that it can recirculate the solution back out the next faucet and into the pot, which I will see if I can rig to be on a burner to keep the solution hot. 

I was originally thinking of just using a spare keg and soaking the lines for a period of time, but I thought that a recirculation and high temperatures would accelerate the cleaning process. Then flush with star san, and then put beer through it.

Thoughts? Any good sources for cheap 20 qt stainless pots? (I want to stick with stainless because of the chemicals I plan on using)

#14 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:08 AM

Okay not to knock anybody's process. But Im trying to figure out the point for running starsan through the lines after they are clean? If you clean them with BLC or whatever and give them a rinse that would seem just fine in my mind. Maybe if the lines would stay empty for a long time I suppose. I could be thinking this wrong though.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:11 AM

Okay not to knock anybody's process. But Im trying to figure out the point for running starsan through the lines after they are clean? If you clean them with BLC or whatever and give them a rinse that would seem just fine in my mind. Maybe if the lines would stay empty for a long time I suppose. I could be thinking this wrong though.

likely would be fine.  but better safe than sorry I'd say.

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:38 AM

It looks as if BLC is KOH plus some additives.  I don't know the sanitizing power of the KOH, but I suspect it's good enough to negate the need for a SS rinse.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

It looks as if BLC is KOH plus some additives.  I don't know the sanitizing power of the KOH, but I suspect it's good enough to negate the need for a SS rinse.

but you then rinse it with tap water which has it's own stuff in it.

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:48 AM

I used the color changing stuff and it's neat. I don't think it works any better than BLC. I got some stuff from micromatic since they are local-ish and it works well. I clean most of my equipment with it. I just throw all the fittings and hoses in a bin for a half hour and then I rinse it with hot water. Don't get that crap on your skin though, you'll find every damn cut on your hands.

#19 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

I used the color changing stuff and it's neat. I don't think it works any better than BLC. I got some stuff from micromatic since they are local-ish and it works well. I clean most of my equipment with it. I just throw all the fittings and hoses in a bin for a half hour and then I rinse it with hot water. Don't get that crap on your skin though, you'll find every damn cut on your hands.

I used the color changing stuff on my last cleaning and it was pretty neat. At least you know when the lines are clean.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

I used the color changing stuff on my last cleaning and it was pretty neat. At least you know when the lines are clean.

Yeah, but it's an expensive cleaning if you follow the directions. Something like 3-5 packs per five gallons if I'm not mistaken?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users