Photo
- - - - -

Yet another chili recipe. This one is from Texas, though.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18673 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:21 PM

Copied (more or less) from the Homesick Texan website and scaled down for fewer people.

2 to 3 pound chuck roast

1 large red onion

6-8 garlic cloves

4 or 5 dried ancho chiles

1/3 cup chile powder

1 tablespoon Mexican oregano

Cayenne powder

Kosher salt

Beer (of your choosing, of course)Masa harina flour

1 lime

1 cup strongly brewed coffee

1 Tablespoon Mexican baking chocolate

Dice the onions and garlic and cube the chuck into bite-size pieces.

Slice the dried anchos open and remove the stems, seeds and veins. Set them in a dry cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until they start to blister. Remove them from the heat and place them into a blender with just enough hot water to cover them.

While they are soaking you can start to brown the meat. Cook it in a Dutch oven (with a splash of bacon fat, peanut oil or olive oil - your choice) over medium-high heat until browned on the outside but not actually cooked all the way through. After about 5 to 10 minutes you can begin to pulse the blender in order to make a purée of the chile-water mixture.

Remove the beef from the Dutch oven and add the garlic and the onions. Cook them, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Add the beef back to the Dutch oven at this point and follow it up with the coffee. Here's where you want to add the chile-water mix. Follow that up with about 1/4 cup of chile powder, a tablespoon each of the oregano, cayenne powder and the kosher salt. Mix well and put the lid on the pot. Let it sit for about half an hour.

After those 30 minutes have elapsed you'll want to test the flavor. Add more cayenne powder, salt, or whatever you think it needs at this point. Throw in an ounce or so of the Mexican baking chocolate, too. I realize that point is heresy to more than a few of you, but I decided to stick as close to the original recipe as I could in order to form a baseline example. Sue me. :P

Cook for another hour, testing the flavor (and adding liquid to prevent it from sticking if that looks like it may become an issue) along the way. While it's cooking you'll want to take about a quarter-cup or so of a decent beer ( ! ) and mix it with enough masa flour to create something just shy of library paste. Slowly add the beer/flour mix to the pot and simmer for another 15 minutes or so. Squeeze the juice and the pulp of the lime into the mix at the very end and stir it into the mixture very well.

Remove from heat. Let the pot sit untouched for about 15 minutes before tearing into the results.

===============================================================================

That's essentially what I did. I did throw in some garlic powder, white pepper and ground cumin to pep up the flavor profile, but by and large I was able to stick to the original recipe pretty closely.

To compare my recipe to the original, go here:

Part 1

Part 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users