#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:49 AM

Fellas, I seldom dry hop my corny's but have a batch of Pale Ale that I want to add about an ounce and a half to the corny. I typically use a woman's nylon footie and sink it about 2/3 way down the corny and tie off.How long do you think it is necessary at ambient temp for the oils to do their magic before I place the keg into the keezer? Also, I read from one of you's guys that dry hopping in the keg prevents clear beer. Although I don't remember that being the case from past dry hops.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:06 AM

I seem to be getting vibes from brewers that a shorter time (than previously thought) was enough. One local commercial brewer told me 5 days was enough... although it could depend on how large his hop addition was. I seem to stick to a 5-10 day timeframe for fear that I will pull overly-grassy flavors from the hops. Others have mentioned leaving the hops in the keg for weeks or even months without that issue. I prefer a shorter time as long as I get what I want from the hops. I use a muslin bag that you can get at the LHBS (like a sock made of cheesecloth) and tie a piece of thread to it which comes up out of the hatch and that way I can retrieve it when I want. I just added an ounce of Citra and an ounce of Amarillo pellets to a pale ale (in secondary) on 4/25. I plan to let it go for about a week before I send it to a keg to chill and carb. My dry-hopped beers seem to have a bit of haze but not bordering on cloudy.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 27 April 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:13 AM

Thank you Sir. Have you ever left a bag in the keg for the duration?

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:24 AM

I have a pale ale that was dry hopped in the keg cold.  the hops have been in there for months now and it's still awesome.

at cold temps it takes longer for the hoppy goodness to get to a good level but there is def no problem leaving the hops in there.  there is an initial period where some of the hop sediments gets through your filtration device and makes the beer cloudy but after this it gets nice and clear.

this beer is actually pretty damn clear now and still very hoppy.  if I think of it I'll try to get an updated picture tonight.

httpss://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PHCvmyvfRBI/VIHKMzQVaSI/AAAAAAAARYA/Lo1IEt6H8bs/s720/162.JPG

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

actually - this beer (pliny clone) was dry hopped in the keg with A LOT of hops.  it's pretty clear.

httpss://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kyagXJHBSNM/VSW1htmoXXI/AAAAAAAASLA/Y14q8dpmMio/w493-h739-no/DSC_0001-002.JPG

damnit - getting thirsty now!

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

Thank you Sir. Have you ever left a bag in the keg for the duration?

I have done that. But I also think it depends on the variety and freshness of the hops you throw in the keg too. I once had some sort of English Pale Ale or a bitter, ESB, etc. in the keg and I thought it could have used a hoppier punch so I added an ounce of EKG to the keg. It went in the right direction for about a week and I was marveling at how nicely the beer had improved. Then it went downhill. Fast. All of the secondary stats on hops (beta numbers, myrcene levels, this or that oil concentration, etc) might tell us which hops are good for dry hopping and which ones are not. I admit that I don't pay much attention to those numbers.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:33 AM

I swear that on my next hoppy batch I will let the hops stay in the keg!  I normally let them go 5 days warm and then I move the beer to a "serving" keg and chill the beer down.  I have tried beers that Evil_morty has left the hops in the keg and I have to agree there is no off flavor there.  The one reason I like to keep the hops out of the keg is because I hate moving a keg around and having the beer get cloudy.

httpss://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Siro05emN-E/VMmxhekIymI/AAAAAAAAIRo/-W7UDu1CvpI/w486-h864-no/0128151847a.jpg

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:35 AM

I swear that on my next hoppy batch I will let the hops stay in the keg!  I normally let them go 5 days warm and then I move the beer to a "serving" keg and chill the beer down.  I have tried beers that Evil_morty has left the hops in the keg and I have to agree there is no off flavor there.  The one reason I like to keep the hops out of the keg is because I hate moving a keg around and having the beer get cloudy.

this def does happen.  typically it's clear again within a few pints.  I'm lazy so I generally try to not move my kegs :P

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:43 AM

Once my kegs hit the keezer, they stay put. All my questions are stemming from a Pale Ale I made with Magnum and Cascade. I did a gravity yesterday and the taste from the beaker just did not have that Cascade pop I was hoping for. I think the beer will be quite enjoyable once carbed but I intend on hitting it with more cascade in the keg. All great advise fellas.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:46 AM

this def does happen.  typically it's clear again within a few pints.  I'm lazy so I generally try to not move my kegs :P

I sometimes have no choice as a keg blows and I want to get another one in there, sometimes the hoppy one needs to move.  My process now just means there is no concern if I do move it.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:11 AM

I just stumbled upon this from a different forum but may fit in with some of the discussion here  https://thirdleapbre.../dry-hop-bible/

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:45 AM

Recently dry hopped a keg of Rye IPA w 2 oz. of Columbus. It sat at room temp for 24 hours to carb and there was already a nice hop aroma at that point. I put the keg in the fridge and the dry hop will stay in until it's gone, 2-3 months. I've never experienced the fabled "grassy flavors" from doing that.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:55 AM

Not to mention, as you might put it, you "chuck em right in." Do you use a bag or free float?

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:06 PM

Not to mention, as you might put it, you "chuck em right in." Do you use a bag or free float?

you need some way to keep the hops from going up the dip tube or they will clog up that path. 

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:37 PM

I use nylon. IIRC Denny throws them in...

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:42 PM

I use nylon. IIRC Denny throws them in...

surprising.  one time I got a lot of hops into the keg with some not so great racking and that was enough to clog up the poppet.  I had to pull the PRV, take the post off, clean, sanitize and reassemble.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:05 PM

I have a pale ale that was dry hopped in the keg cold.  the hops have been in there for months now and it's still awesome.

at cold temps it takes longer for the hoppy goodness to get to a good level but there is def no problem leaving the hops in there.  there is an initial period where some of the hop sediments gets through your filtration device and makes the beer cloudy but after this it gets nice and clear.

this beer is actually pretty damn clear now and still very hoppy.  if I think of it I'll try to get an updated picture tonight.

httpss://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PHCvmyvfRBI/VIHKMzQVaSI/AAAAAAAARYA/Lo1IEt6H8bs/s720/162.JPG

updated pics:

httpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MaSqirkiNSU/VT6kTyAQpcI/AAAAAAAASY4/4eaB0nj2YOY/s800/DSC_0007-003.JPGhttpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jNo3MuThLzY/VT6kU-PppmI/AAAAAAAASZA/GLD74hL7iGc/s800/DSC_0002-004.JPG

#18 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43068 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

I hop the keg, but I put a "sure screen" stainless steel mesh sock over the out tube on the corny.....

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:12 PM

I hop the keg, but I put a "sure screen" stainless steel mesh sock over the out tube on the corny.....

link?

#20 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43068 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:13 PM

Why do I have to do the work for you? Google search sure screen :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users