Photo
- - - - -

Okay so let's have *THAT* conversation...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:11 PM

I was at my weekly bowling league (where everyone drinks beer except one of our guys who drinks O'Douls) talking about beer, homebrewing, etc. The guy who drinks O'Douls said something like, "So all of these homebrewers you know are alcoholics, right" which made me think that homebrewers probably respect the drink a little more than most other people. Turns out he drinks O'Douls because he used to light it up when he was younger and stopped. He went to an all-inclusive place in Cancun last year and I asked him what beer he drank and he said, "O'Douls of course!" and I was all, "Whaaaa?". Anyway, I drink a couple of beers pretty much every day. Out of a 30-day month I would say that I have at least one beer 25 of those days. I drink beer on Sunday at noon if I'm in the mood. My home office is directly above my basement bar but I never hit the taps until after 5 o'clock on a weekday. I will occasionally have some sort of mixed drink (vodka-lemonade, margarita, etc) but I do not crave those drinks. When I see or smell beer, that's what makes me tick. I don't pretend to know the definition of an alcoholic but who here wants to describe how often they have a beer? I also don't really like the concept of getting "drunk". I like to drink beer and be 'buzzed' but I really don't like being 'overserved'. Thoughts?

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:27 PM

Im very similar to you Ken. Throw in the occasional glass of red wine.

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:34 PM

I drink in spurts. I may have a beer a night every night for a month then not drink anything for a month. Just matters how much I'm brewing and making recipes. Doing homework. Most people who know I brew think I'm drunk all the time. I've told them I rarely drink more than 1 beer at a setting but they dont believe it.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

1-2 pints a day.  maybe once a week nothing.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:00 PM

I'll have one when I feel like it.  Work hours are totally out of the question.

That O'Douls guy doesn't sound very pleasant.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

I'll have one when I feel like it.  Work hours are totally out of the question. That O'Douls guy doesn't sound very pleasant.

I don't know if I would call him pleasant or not but I think he's a good guy. One week when he was not there, I asked another guy on our team (who is close to him) why he drank O'Douls but nothing else. He said that he wasn't quite sure but that the guy used to drink A LOT. If they were going out for the night starting at 7pm, Mr. O'Douls would start drinking at 5pm and if everything ended at 1am, he would keep going until 3am. He clearly had an issue and realized it so I suppose I admire his ability to stop it but I don't admire his situation at all. For someone who loves alcohol to not be able to have it... that's torture. For me, I am relatively responsible with my drinking. I do not drive if I have been drinking. I might hit the taps on a Saturday afternoon when the Cubs game comes on and continue to drink until midnight but I am hanging out in the backyard and just chilling. I would never light it up like that if there was something else to do, I had to drive, etc.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

I've only encountered one craft beer/homebrewer that may actually be an alcoholic. I drink a beer or some sort of mixed drink maybe once a day at the most, but I'll go about a week without any alcohol sometimes and not think twice.

Your friend may have a problem and that's fine for him to drink Odouls. If he insists on putting down homebrewers then he needs an attitude adjustment.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:26 AM

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." ~ D. MartinMe? The ex-bartender? I'm cursed with liking it all. After work or chores etc I like a couple beers. A martini at night is right (too).

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

My wife said something the other day along the lines of, You drink beer every single day. Do you think that's a problem or are you okay with it? My wife likes her beer, wine, prosecco, etc. and she does not drink it as often as I do. But when she drinks, she gets pretty tipsy. Like noticeably tipsy. I don't do that. Again, I don't know what that says about the intake of alcohol but there are certainly varying ways to enjoy yourself. I don't care for wine and if I'm having something other than beer it's because there is no beer where I am or maybe I'm at a wedding or something and I would rather not walk around with a bottle of beer so I have a mixed drink instead. But if I walk into a place and I haven't had a beer and I just SMELL beer, I want a beer. I remember going to a Cubs-Brewers game at Miller Park and it was me and 5 kids so I wasn't drinking. We sat down and a group of guys behind us were swilling something and it just smelled great in the warm sun, etc. I better stop talking or I'll want a beer right now!! :D

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

I have gotten the comments that you make your own beer so you must drink a lot.  Like many here I go in spurts, some weeks I will have a beer a day, maybe a couple, but other weeks I have nothing.  It has been some time since I was really drunk, I will "feel good" but that is about as far as I take it these days.  I just do not have time for hangovers anymore!  There was a thread in teh PH a few months back about monthly consumption and after seeing that I though I really needed to step my game up! :D

#11 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

Reached a point that I can't drink much more than a pint or two at a sitting, so I don't over do it with beer.  Drink more wine these days.  Spirits usually are consumed in the winter and only where I am spending the night.  Been making beer, mead and cider for more years than I can remember but I've never had any one draw the conclusion that because I make stuff, I overindulge.

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

There are usually a couple times a year where I'll just let loose and get good and drunk. It's always a safe situation though where I'm definitely not driving and the worst that could happen is a really nice hangover.

#13 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

There are weeks when i don't have any drinks and there are weeks when I go to town, on average I would say I drink 2 maybe 3 days a week and most of those days I may have 2 to 3 drinks.

#14 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

I am the same as many of you, and my drinking varies depending on life. I stopped making 10 gallon batches because I couldn't finish the first 5 before the second 5 was on the downhill.

I think in terms of what differentiates an alcoholic, is what consumes his/her thoughts. If all you can think of is the next drink, and when you can drink next, or how you can afford the next drink. If those are the questions you think of, then you need to evaluate if your appetites have become your master.

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:23 AM

I don't know how you guys go multiple weeks without a beer. Only time I don't want a beer is when I am super sick.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

I don't know how you guys go multiple weeks without a beer. Only time I don't want a beer is when I am super sick.

I am kind of like that as well. If I'm sick I have no desire to have a beer. I generally don't go a week or weeks without a beer. Nights where I would not have a beer would be if I had to work in the evenings or if there was some sort of school event I had to attend, etc. But I like to tap a couple beers while making dinner and then I may stop or I may continue depending on what's happening.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:32 AM

My FIL decided to go all of April without alcohol. It's killing me. All my taps are at his house. I go over there at least 2x a week. It's nice to have a drinking buddy. If I drink and he doesn't I feel bad.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63971 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

During the week I have one with dinner, usually that's it.  If I'm feeling extra chipper I may have a second, but I need to plan ahead for that and have lower alcohol beers available.  Two IPAs and I might as well just curl up in bed, cuz I'm done.  It's seasonal for me, too.  Often times in the winter, during the week, I won't have anything.  During the spring/summer it's almost always.

On the weekends, barring some type of event, it's 2-3 per day.

I can't escape the fact that the alcohol really slows me down nowadays.  I don't remember it being like that years ago.  If I drink too much I'm just a blob, unless I'm out somewhere with other people.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:45 AM

My FIL decided to go all of April without alcohol. It's killing me. All my taps are at his house. I go over there at least 2x a week. It's nice to have a drinking buddy. If I drink and he doesn't I feel bad.

damn - so when you want some of your homebrew you have to go to his house?

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

damn - so when you want some of your homebrew you have to go to his house?

Yup. I brew it there. I could take a keg home if I had extra, but most of the beer I brew gets spoken for pretty quick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users