55 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:59 AM

I have wanted to try some new yeast to pick one as a “house “ yeast for most of my hoppy beers and plan to start that this weekend.  I will be brewing a split back of my Chinook/Citra APA between Wyeast 1318 and Vermont Ale this weekend.  I already have a version with S-05 on tap so I should be able to have all three to compare shortly, granted the S-05 version will be a bit older.  I plan to keep the grain, hop additions/times and water the same and only vary the yeast and possible the fermentation schedule.  I am really curious to see how the final beer changes.

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:21 AM

Have you used Vermont before? I just got a vial and am thinking IIPA; Cascade, Simcoe, Amarillo.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:23 AM

I am really curious to see how the final beer changes.

So am I. As we discussed earlier those 2 yeasts are on my list to try. Definitely report back on what you learn from it.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:28 AM

Have you used Vermont before? I just got a vial and am thinking IIPA; Cascade, Simcoe, Amarillo.

only a version I built up from the can.  My results were so-so but that could have been from many reasons including not enough cells, ferm temp etc.  I have high hops this time and I think your hop choice would be perfect.

So am I. As we discussed earlier those 2 yeasts are on my list to try. Definitely report back on what you learn from it.

I plan to try and update this thread as I progress and I hope you will do the same with the results you see when you do your experiment.

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:37 AM

This is a great idea. I'll be curious to hear your findings. Not a fan of S-05/Chico. Flavor of it sticks out like a sore thumb to me and overwhelms the beer.

Edited by chils, 01 May 2015 - 06:37 AM.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

This is a great idea. I'll be curious to hear your findings. Not a fan of S-05/Chico. Flavor of it sticks out like a sore thumb to me and overwhelms the beer.

Very interesting.  I find both to be clean and neutral.  Also, because of something you said before I may try this with 34/70.

#7 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

Very interesting.  I find both to be clean and neutral.  Also, because of something you said before I may try this with 34/70.

I've avoided talking about it cause most people(and me until a couple years ago) feel this way. Don't want to hijack though.I love W34/70 in my hoppy steam lagers. Fine to ferment it up to ~63-64ish and still very clean.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:05 AM

so are the beers fermenting?

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:22 AM

so are the beers fermenting?

NO! 

Made the starters on Friday and they did not show any life yesterday so I did not brew.  The 1318 started to move this morning and teh VT ale yeast was still not doing much.  This will be brewed Friday or Saturday.  I need to get it going since I kicked the other keg yesterday.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

So this happened this weekend.  I am a bit worried about the VT Ale yest to be honest.  I made a 2.5 l starter of both yeast and topped it off after a few days because I knew I wanted to save some of the starter for latter.  The 1318 had visual signs of fermentation and a nice "blob" of yeast at the bottom of the flask.  The VT ale on the other hand never showed any signs of fermenting but you could see the starter get lighter and there was most defiantly an increase in the yeast amount.  This morning the 1318 was showing signs in the carboy but the VT ale was not.  I hope to see a change when I get home today.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:02 AM

So this happened this weekend.  I am a bit worried about the VT Ale yest to be honest.  I made a 2.5 l starter of both yeast and topped it off after a few days because I knew I wanted to save some of the starter for latter.  The 1318 had visual signs of fermentation and a nice "blob" of yeast at the bottom of the flask.  The VT ale on the other hand never showed any signs of fermenting but you could see the starter get lighter and there was most defiantly an increase in the yeast amount.  This morning the 1318 was showing signs in the carboy but the VT ale was not.  I hope to see a change when I get home today.

I have had that happen but it is typically rocking on the stepped up starter. How long has it been since pitching?

I've got a real interest in these yeast trials of yours. I'll be going down the same road soon enough.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:11 AM

I have had that happen but it is typically rocking on the stepped up starter. How long has it been since pitching?

I've got a real interest in these yeast trials of yours. I'll be going down the same road soon enough.

It will be 24 hours at about 9PM.  I had contemplated changing plans and getting some 644 from the LHBS or go with one of the other yeasts I had on hand but I decided to just soldier on with my original plan and see what happens.  I figure if I have no activity 48 hours in I may just pitch some S-05.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:44 PM

24 hours is no big deal.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

24 hours is no big deal.

Well, that coupled with the weird starter activity is what has me concerned.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:22 PM

fair enough.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

I can understand that. All my starters are made in a similar way and are all pitched soon after they are done, so… all my beers predictably show initial signs of fermentation within ~6-10 hrs. If I had one go 24hrs. I would worry just because it's not what I was used to. But really there's probably nothing to worry about. 

Edited by nettles, 11 May 2015 - 01:29 PM.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:36 AM

httpss://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pnXqTYJEi-g/VVHW2c2yBnI/AAAAAAAAKnA/LaYIDnUBQ08/w486-h864-no/0512150630.jpg

VT Ale

httpss://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Nn3sDFStuy4/VVHW6hj8_tI/AAAAAAAAKnY/mitvX8UmwKY/w486-h864-no/0512150631a.jpg

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:52 AM

Well crap. Im guessing that was taken this morning? 

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:55 AM

damn you vt ale!!

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:08 AM

Well crap. Im guessing that was taken this morning? 

About 650 this morning!

damn you vt ale!!

So, I am trying to decide on plan B.  I am thinking of letting it go till Wednesday morning before I have to leave for work.  If there is no activity I pitch some dry yeast ( S-05, S-04 or M07) and move on.  I plan to take the foil off and put on a "S" airlock so I can at least see if there is any positive pressure.  A gravity reading will also be taken just to make sure nothing is happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users