#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

So I'll be adding a small amount of water when I add sugar to my saison (mid ferment).  Do I need to worry about chloramines/chlorine or no?  I don't have a way to really filter them out.  When I make my beer I use campdent tablets but I can't really use a small enough amount here.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

I wouldn't bother.  I've never treated starter water and we do have chloramines here.

#3 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:39 PM

Not enough volume to worry.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

+3

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

roger that.  I suspected as much but I wasn't sure of the th.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

yeah, i usually have some spring water somewhere and just use that.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:28 PM

I don't have this problem but does boiling take care of chorine/chloramine?

#8 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25584 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:08 PM

If you want to not worry about it, get a 99 cent bottle of spring/bottled water. Dasani which is filtered and sanatized & UV treated municiple water.I doubt tap water will be a problem. But I understand why take any chances?

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:27 PM

I don't have this problem but does boiling take care of chorine/chloramine?

yes

honestly I have added small amount of tap water with various additions with zero ill affects, but, my municipal water supply is from an aquifer well and has almost no chlorine added to begin with

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:32 AM

so for the record in 2013 the highest recorded numbers were.

chloramines: 2.52 ppm

chlorine: 2.68 ppm

my brewing water should have been completely devoid of these due to the use of campden tablets.

#11 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25584 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:51 AM

Chloamine is pretty presistent, that is why they use it. I man not sure you can boil it away.I found this reference: 

Removing Chloramines from Brewing WaterOriginally Published by A.J. deLange in Brewing Techniques, Volume 9, Number 1Standing, aeration, and boiling will remove chloramines from water, but not very effectively. Water in my area (Fairfax County, Virginia) contains the equivalent of 3 mg/L of chlorine in chloramines, a fairly high level. Ten gallons of this water allowed to stand in a 25-gallon stock pot required weeks to lose chloramine down to the <0.1 mg/L level. Almost two hours of boiling is required to get the chloramine in Fairfax County water down to the hundredths of milligrams per liter.

https://www.morebeer...ines_from_water

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:03 AM

Chloamine is pretty presistent, that is why they use it. I man not sure you can boil it away.I found this reference:  https://www.morebeer...ines_from_water

yeah - I thought I remembered reading that.  it's probably why I started using the campden tablets.

#13 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25584 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

yeah - I thought I remembered reading that.  it's probably why I started using the campden tablets.

From the board of green over 8 years ago..... how time flies

https://www.brewboar...showtopic=70044

My tap water is sanitized with chloramine. I wanted to experiment and see how I could eliminate chlorine/chloramine from my municipal tap water.I purchased a bottle of 25 test strips intended for home aquarium use. The product used was Lifegard brand Chlorine/Chloramine Test Strips from Pentair Aquatics. $17.99 retail, Part Number R440006Chlorine/Chloramine Test StripsSimple to use. Dip a strip in you water sample for 2 seconds, remove and wait ten seconds. Presence of chlorine/chloramine (test does not make a distinction) turns the test strip a progressively darker purple color. Compare test strip to color chart on bottle to determine chlorine or chloramine concentration. The scale on the bottle reads from .1 PPM to 10 PPM with 6 steps between. A zero PPM chlorine/chloramine reading is white or no change of color.Here are the results of my test results:1- Tap water, unfiltered: 3 PPM (I understand this is a typical concentration level)2- Tap water, filtered with PUR faucet mounted carbon filter: ~.5 PPM3- Tap water, filtered with 5 micron carbon water filter: ~.75 PPM4- Tap Water, filtered with 5 micron carbon water filter & 1 campden tablet per 5 gallons: no reading5- Tap water, unfiltered with 1/2 campden tablet per 5 gallons: no reading6- Tap water, unfiltered with 1 campden tablet per 5 gallons: no readingNote: I took readings 5 & 6 very quickly after adding the campden tablets.Conclusion: Campden tablets are very effective at removing chloramine. You will probably use 1/2 a tablet per 5 gallons. Check with the supplier of water and ask about concentration levels of your water. I do not know of any side effect of over using campden tablets some, say 1 tablet per 5 gallons. Use your best judgment.zymot

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:42 AM

When adding sugar to the boil I gather a couple cups of runnings and simmer it with the sugar then add to the kettle.  I suppose this could be cooled and saved for a later pitch as well.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:54 AM

From the board of green over 8 years ago..... how time flies

https://www.brewboar...showtopic=70044

yeup - I remember referencing this when I made the decision to buy some tablets.  hopefully the chloramines in the small amount of water I just added wouldn't do anything detectable.  let's see, worst case is about 2.5 ppm.  that was in 40oz of water.  the batch of beer is about 1400oz which should essentially be free of chloramines.  that puts the total at:

2.5 ppm * 40 oz / 1440 oz = 0.07 ppm

That seems pretty small considering all I used to do was run all my water through a brita pitcher (seems totally batshit crazy now and only results in 0.5 ppm) and all seemed well for those many batches.

When adding sugar to the boil I gather a couple cups of runnings and simmer it with the sugar then add to the kettle.  I suppose this could be cooled and saved for a later pitch as well.

I actually intended to add the sugar to the boil but I forgot :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users