#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

Consider getting it nice and clear prior to dry hopping.

#22 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

I like where this is going. One thing to think about... Red color...obviously a goal in the recipe, is going to be tough to get with a yeast infamous for hanging around in suspension forever. You could cold age it for a good long while (wouldnt be my preference) or clarify it. Use biofine and absolutely not gelatin.

What don't you like about gelatin?

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:15 AM

Consensus is gel takes away hop flavor.  Some agree, some do not.  But gel works for me so I'm wondering: what about DH'ing prior to gelling and then DH again, post gel then keg.

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

What don't you like about gelatin?

It clarifies beer wonderfully, especially if you get it good and cold. However I have used it a handful of times on hoppy beers (all had dry hops) and it stripped out hop flavor to a degree that it seemed no dry hops had been added at all. The effects were stark and immediate each time. I am just drinking now my first hoppy and dry hopped beer that I clarified with biofine. I also feel Biofine strips out some of those really fresh "nose in the hop bag" aromas and flavors but does not do so nearly to the degree that gelatin did. For now (again my N=1) I see Biofine as a very functional tool. It seems to have given the beer not only clarity but a certain refined quality similar to many commercially produced beers. I am not so sure its effects are significantly different than just letting the beer sit 4 weeks or more cold. But who wants to do that?

#25 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:11 AM

It clarifies beer wonderfully, especially if you get it good and cold. However I have used it a handful of times on hoppy beers (all had dry hops) and it stripped out hop flavor to a degree that it seemed no dry hops had been added at all. The effects were stark and immediate each time. I am just drinking now my first hoppy and dry hopped beer that I clarified with biofine. I also feel Biofine strips out some of those really fresh "nose in the hop bag" aromas and flavors but does not do so nearly to the degree that gelatin did. For now (again my N=1) I see Biofine as a very functional tool. It seems to have given the beer not only clarity but a certain refined quality similar to many commercially produced beers. I am not so sure its effects are significantly different than just letting the beer sit 4 weeks or more cold. But who wants to do that?

Interesting. I gel most of my beers. I hadn't attributed the gelatin to dropping out the "green", "grassy", "hop bag" aroma from dry hopping. It makes sense. I prefer the citrus/tropical fruit/etc (depending on the hop) that brightens when the "hop bag" drops out. 

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:18 AM

Interesting.  I have not noticed that at all with biofine and I use it all the time with hoppy beers. 

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:38 AM

Interesting. I gel most of my beers. I hadn't attributed the gelatin to dropping out the "green", "grassy", "hop bag" aroma from dry hopping. It makes sense. I prefer the citrus/tropical fruit/etc (depending on the hop) that brightens when the "hop bag" drops out.

Well this might just come down to people percieving this differently. The only time I dont like my dry hopping extremely fresh would be if they were accompanied by the harsh and tannic qualities you sometimes get right after dry hopping. Those usually drop out within days IME and then its all deliciousness. I have never experienced anything I would call grassy or greenness from hops. So its a little hard to know if we are talking apples to apples with eachother and our terms here without actually sitting down and tasting together. Hope that makes sense.

Interesting. I have not noticed that at all with biofine and I use it all the time with hoppy beers.

And that might be the key.... You have used many times and I have not. So thats just my singular experience with it. I will be using it more though.

#28 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

Maybe for me the difference is that I don't get grapefruit/mango/gooseberry/etc when I smell fresh hops. They smell good but different than the way I perceive them in finished beer. The early aroma/flavor in a dry hopped beer is more of that raw hop character. I like when the raw hop fades and the citrus/floral/tropical/etc brightens. 

And nettles, anytime you want to sit down for some hoppy beers, I'm in! :cheers:

#29 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:10 AM

Maybe for me the difference is that I don't get grapefruit/mango/gooseberry/etc when I smell fresh hops. They smell good but different than the way I perceive them in finished beer. The early aroma/flavor in a dry hopped beer is more of that raw hop character. I like when the raw hop fades and the citrus/floral/tropical/etc brightens. And nettles, anytime you want to sit down for some hoppy beers, I'm in! :cheers:

The way you describe it there I think we are more on the same page than I first thought. My use of "nose in the hop bag" was probably a poor choice because, yes, literally having your nose in the hop bag has never given me definable characters like you describe. Id be up for that. One of these trips of mine to Chicago there may have to be a Chicago area blewbie hookup.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

Well this might just come down to people percieving this differently. The only time I dont like my dry hopping extremely fresh would be if they were accompanied by the harsh and tannic qualities you sometimes get right after dry hopping. Those usually drop out within days IME and then its all deliciousness. I have never experienced anything I would call grassy or greenness from hops. So its a little hard to know if we are talking apples to apples with eachother and our terms here without actually sitting down and tasting together. Hope that makes sense. And that might be the key.... You have used many times and I have not. So thats just my singular experience with it. I will be using it more though.

Or maybe I have just started to hop more to account for it.  I am really not sure.  Few years ago 2oz was my dry hop now it is 4-6oz.

#31 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

Or maybe I have just started to hop more to account for it. I am really not sure. Few years ago 2oz was my dry hop now it is 4-6oz.

Me too, but I don't think it has anything to do with bio-fine. It just shows we are getting older and wiser. :)

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

Me too, but I don't think it has anything to do with bio-fine. It just shows we are getting older and wiser. :)

Yeah, let's go with that!

#33 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:43 AM

Taking into account my Brews Brothers input, I'm rethinking the VT yeast to some 001.  I have a small mason jar of 001 slurry that I might spin this coming week for a Saturday session.  Assuming I'll get a good starter since 001 is such a chowhound.

I'll save the VT for something more golden where clarity is not a necessary end result.

Lastly, I'm liking what I'm reading about super dry-hopping.  I can see good combo of 5+ ounces!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users