21 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:50 AM

Looking for something light and balanced and quick to the tap. I'm basing this off of Michael Dawson's Pale Mild recipe at NB. Let me know your thoughts or post up a recipe of your own if you have done something like this. I'm tempted to go ultra simple and just siphon off .5 gallon of trub from the bottom of the kettle after it settles and ferment my 5.5 gallons right in the kettle in an open fermentation. Would also make for about the fastest brew day ever.

6 gallons

OG 1.038

SRM 6

IBU 18

92% Warminster Floor Malted Maris Otter

7% Baird's Carastan

1% Fawcett Pale Chocolate

Mash @156-158

28g EKG@ 60 

8g EKG@ 15

WY1469 West Yorkshire

Ferment @67F

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

I want an Imperial pint of that now, served from a cask with a hand pump.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:26 AM

I want an Imperial pint of that now, served from a cask with a hand pump.

No hand pump here but I am considering wether or not I'm going to cask it.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:45 AM

This looks good.  I do not have 1437 but some 1318 that will be ready.  I have most of the grains, no Carastan but I can sub that out.  I just have to see what I have for hops.  This may be a nice change for the taps.  I did a Dark Mild that Realbeerguy posted before this winter and it was a nice beer too.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

This looks good.  I do not have 1437 but some 1318 that will be ready.  I have most of the grains, no Carastan but I can sub that out.  I just have to see what I have for hops.  This may be a nice change for the taps.  I did a Dark Mild that Realbeerguy posted before this winter and it was a nice beer too.

You could do this Mild to build that 1318 up for APA/IPA.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

You could do this Mild to build that 1318 up for APA/IPA.

Got it sitting in a 4l flask as we speak already.  I planned on some extra to throw in a mason jar or two so this will work out good.

#7 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:33 AM

Have you used FM MO before? Recipe looks solid. It'd be an easy drauflassen if not direct pitching--seal the edges of the kettle with foil, overnight starter with 2qts of wort, rack off the trub and pitch the next day. I'm running my drauflassen starters for ~5-6hrs on the stirplate now to get them jumpstarted.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:06 AM

Yeah several times but not recently. The FM MO is much like the FM pils in that it seems to be a richer slightly amped up version of the base malt. You know how FM pils is clearly still pils but has that extra dimension to it? Same with the FM MO. And, I think using it in a lower gravity application like this is a good way to use it. 

Yeah this would be a good one to drauflassen.  However my yeast was getting a bit long in the tooth and needed considerably more time with an appropriately sized starter. You must have a good sized stir plate to do those large drauflassen starters?

#9 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

Yeah several times but not recently. The FM MO is much like the FM pils in that it seems to be a richer slightly amped up version of the base malt. You know how FM pils is clearly still pils but has that extra dimension to it? Same with the FM MO. And, I think using it in a lower gravity application like this is a good way to use it. Yeah this would be a good one to drauflassen. However my yeast was getting a bit long in the tooth and needed considerably more time with an appropriately sized starter. You must have a good sized stir plate to do those large drauflassen starters?

I have a standard sized stirstarter brand stirplate. I regularly do 1 gallon starters on it in a glass cracker jar. I have used it to stir a full 6.5 gallon batch before. Good info on the FM MO. Sounds yum.

Edited by chils, 08 May 2015 - 05:14 AM.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:19 AM

I have a standard sized stirstarter brand stirplate. I regularly do 1 gallon starters on it in a glass cracker jar. I have used it to stir a full 6.5 gallon batch before. Good info on the FM MO. Sounds yum.

I have that same stir plate and I haven't been able to get it to hold onto a magnet in anything other than a flask (perfectly flat bottom). How in the world did you stir a 6.5 gallon batch with it?

#11 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

I have that same stir plate and I haven't been able to get it to hold onto a magnet in anything other than a flask (perfectly flat bottom). How in the world did you stir a 6.5 gallon batch with it?

It worked OK thru my 8gal buckets although they are different than most. The bottom is rounded on the edges so it doesn't have a ring holding the center up off the surface it's sitting on. Then I cut out my chamber shelf to suspend it under the bucket with elastic. Voila! 7gal stirplate.

Posted Image

#12 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:13 PM

ETA: I did take the top off my stirstarter and added an extra set of magnets to it. Just stuck them on the ones already there. Doubled my magnetic strength. Facking magnets, how do they work?

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:38 PM

Why did you stir the 6.5g batch? Just curious.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:29 PM

What I wanted to say above was "B.S.!". But I knew you'd have some creative workaround to get this to work. Well done. And I too am curious why you stirred it.

#15 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:12 PM

Why did you stir the 6.5g batch? Just curious.

What I wanted to say above was "B.S.!". But I knew you'd have some creative workaround to get this to work. Well done. And I too am curious why you stirred it.

Before I started my drauflassen technique I wasn't happy with my lag times, especially when pitching dry lager yeast. I had a theory that some of the yeast was being trapped under the trub in the bottom of the fermenter, causing a lower cell count than could be obtained if the yeast was suspended. It worked and I had quicker starts and ferments on some batches but not all. I'd call it a 60% success story but overall not worth the effort. Made a hell of a racket with the stirbar spinning on the bottom of that plastic fermenter at slow speed though. I'd spin for ~4hrs--not enough to risk oxidation. Overall a Meh. Drauflassen is superior in every way.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:53 AM

1.037 down to 1.012. I kegged this last night. Very excited for it. Tons of bread, biscuits, more bread and a pleasant nutty maltyness. Gobs of flavor for only 3.3%. You know that when you want a second hydrometer sample to sip on its a good sign. Ill post up a pic when its ready.

#17 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:30 AM

Enjoy this! I make Milds quite often and they are a great beer to have on tap. A good one is absolutely delicious and is so much more practical to have on tap than a double-anything.

This looks like a solid recipe. Great yeast choice. You should try swapping in a couple pounds of Mild Malt some time.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:06 PM

Really solid recipe here. Tons of flavor in such low ABV package. One of my best for sure. Should mention the water profile here. I mentioned in another thread that I used zero sulfate in this beer. That is not correct. The mineral profile is as follows. Ca-50, Na-50, SO4-41, Cl-125. This is the second time I have gone that high with sodium in malt forward beers and both exceeded expectations. Cant say it was the sodium alone but apparently it didn't hurt. The beer is, as usual, lighter than the picture suggests. It's a very dark gold or light amber.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by nettles, 05 June 2015 - 02:07 PM.

#19 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:29 PM

Looks perfect. Just that for which those glasses are intended.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:42 PM

Nettles... That looks great and I would like a pint please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users