Photo
- - - - -

I guess I need to look into a "Session IPA" recipe...

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:00 AM

I did not think it would be, I was just looking for the data point.When I get to work tomorrow I will see what I have on HFS. Yes, I keep most of my beer stuff at work. I know I have some information from him from different interviews.

From information given on their website it looks like Edward is 1.055--->1.015 @5.2%abv.

it def would be different.  the whole sulfate to chloride ratio is overblown in my opinion.  they don't cancel each other out in that way.

Agree.

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

While not the way I would go this may give you some ideas.

https://www.homebrew...zz-session-ipa/

#43 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

While not the way I would go this may give you some ideas.https://www.homebrew...zz-session-ipa/

Thanks for that Drez. I think you guys have hit on something that I did not consider... the 'getting the malt out of the way' idea. In the recipe posted above, it looks like he wants to lower the maltiness by using some MO but then just plain 2-row along with it. I would be trying it (probably) with Rahr Pale Ale malt which is quite deep and malty and then cutting it with wheat (again, probably) so the idea is similar. I'm licking my lips at the idea of making this. I need to head to the LHBS for more Amarillo and Simcoe before I make it.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 13 May 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for that Drez. I think you guys have hit on something that I did not consider... the 'getting the malt out of the way' idea. In the recipe posted above, it looks like he wants to lower the maltiness by using some MO but then just plain 2-row along with it. I would be trying it (probably) with Rahr Pale Ale malt which is quite deep and malty and then cutting it with wheat (again, probably) so the idea is similar. I'm licking my lips at the idea of making this. I need to head to the LHBS for more Amarillo and Simcoe before I make it.

A base recipe that I use a lot in my APA's and IPA's and something I have posted in the recipe section is:

72% Pils

24% Marris Otter

4% Carravienne

Very simple but seems to really work well.  Depending on my mood I will swap out 2 row for the MO.

#45 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

I have "cut" both MO and GP with wheat and it works well. I think it will work well with the Rahr Pale Ale as also. I have an English Summer Ale I am putting together soon that I am going to cut the MO with a little wheat. Probably 80/20 and 1.050

72% Pils

24% Marris Otter

4% Carravienne

This right here. Used it twice now and will continue to do so. Great base for an APA. Nice and light but has just a little something interesting coming through with the MO and carvienne.

Edited by nettles, 13 May 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#46 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

That looks nice. I recently did a Rahr Pale Ale and Wheat as 50/50 of the base malt and then maybe 8-10% caravienne. That beer is on tap right now and it's very nice but it may have been too much caravienne because it's darker than the commercial version I was shooting for. As for this Campside session IPA... it's totally gold. 4.5 SRM which is one of the things that makes me like it... don't ask me why. I know some people get squeamish about pale beers but I think I'm going to make this recipe around the same SRM. When I was sitting at this brewpub in Bloomington, there was a lady drinking a tall stein of gold beer and I asked the beertender what it was. She told me that the lady was a "mug member" or some such thing so she got the impressive-looking stein and that she was drinking the Campside session IPA (which looked like a pils or helles in her glass). I asked for the Campside and just got a standard pint glass but the beer was delicious.

#47 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

That looks nice. I recently did a Rahr Pale Ale and Wheat as 50/50 of the base malt and then maybe 8-10% caravienne. That beer is on tap right now and it's very nice but it may have been too much caravienne because it's darker than the commercial version I was shooting for. As for this Campside session IPA... it's totally gold. 4.5 SRM which is one of the things that makes me like it... don't ask me why. I know some people get squeamish about pale beers but I think I'm going to make this recipe around the same SRM. When I was sitting at this brewpub in Bloomington, there was a lady drinking a tall stein of gold beer and I asked the beertender what it was. She told me that the lady was a "mug member" or some such thing so she got the impressive-looking stein and that she was drinking the Campside session IPA (which looked like a pils or helles in her glass). I asked for the Campside and just got a standard pint glass but the beer was delicious.

Ignore them.

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

Ken,

The above recipe comes out to about 5.2 SRM and here is what it looks like. I guess not as pale as you are looking for but I also thing I get more color extraction from recirculating the entire mash.

Posted Image

Edited by drez77, 13 May 2015 - 11:15 AM.

#49 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

Ken, The above recipe comes out to about 5.2 SRM and here is what it looks like. I guess not as pale as you are looking for but I also thing I get more color extraction from recirculating the entire mash.Posted Image

That looks nice. Nice, pale color and clear too. You're making me thirsty you guys!! :D

Ignore them.

I know. I forget who it was (Blkmt2000?) who said he made a cream ale with C120 in it because he doesn't like 'gold beers'.  :lol:

#50 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64052 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:44 PM

OMFG!!!11!!1!!1  KEN LENARD IS MAKING AN IPA!!!!

:frantic:

#51 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

OMFG!!!11!!1!!1  KEN LENARD IS MAKING AN IPA!!!!

C'mon .. it is a session IPA so really just a Pale Ale.

#52 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64052 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

C'mon .. it is a session IPA so really just a Pale Ale.

MORE THAN 30 IBU!!!!!!

#53 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

Alright, everybody calm down. I admit that I am liking some of these beers more and more. Don't make the IPA 10% and don't add Brett to it and I'm probably going to be good with it. Honestly, this one was like a cross between a blonde ale and an APA. 4.5%, 4.5 SRM and 50 IBUs sounds like it's just barely scratching the IPA category. It's like a building that's not really the tallest building in the world but it has an antenna on it so it just barely makes it. :P

#54 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64052 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

That's what you say NOW.  Next thing we know you'll be asking about maybe just getting *a little* brett character in there and then BOOM!  It's now the Village Funkhouse!

#55 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:01 PM

That's what you say NOW. Next thing we know you'll be asking about maybe just getting *a little* brett character in there and then BOOM! It's now the Village Funkhouse!

I would shed a tear of joy!

#56 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

I know. I forget who it was (Blkmt2000?) who said he made a cream ale with C120 in it because he doesn't like 'gold beers'.  :lol:

T'weren't me, dude.  :lol:

#57 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:54 PM

T'weren't me, dude.  :lol:

Hmm, my bad. Who was it? Someone has a gold beer issue and I don't know who it was.Ah... it was Macbrak... https://www.brews-br...ream-ale/page-1

Edited by Village Taphouse, 13 May 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#58 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:20 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread from last year. I'm planning another "Session IPA" for my next ale. I just went and checked my hop inventory and I put a recipe together that has a different hop schedule than the original but I'm not trying to make what I made last year, just something in the same style. Check it...

Session IPA 2016

6.25 lbs Rahr 2-row base malt
3.00 lbs Wheat
4 ounces Belgian CaraVienne
.35 ounces Nugget pellets @ 14.9% for 60 (22 IBUs)
1 ounce Nelson Sauvin pellets 11.4% for 10
1 ounce Simcoe pellets 11.7% for 5
1 ounce Nelson Sauvin pellets 11.4% for 2
1 ounce Zythos 10.9% plus 1 ounce Citra 12.9% in the 175° whirlpool for 15-20 minutes
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

OG: 1.053, FG: 1.013, IBU: 54, SRM: 5, ABV: 5.2%

I checked all of these hop varieties and the Zythos is supposed to have 'tropical fruits' and 'pine' and Citra is tropical and Simcoe is 'pine'. The Nelson character might get lost in there or it might contribute nicely. I don't see anything that doesn't work with the other hops but I don't make these styles often so if anyone sees anything that could be done differently, please post.

#59 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:37 PM

First of all Nelson dont get no lost. It is a very powerful and very unique hop. It will make its presence known. Secondly, I really like everything about the recipe except the lack of a dry hop. The hop combination will be very very nice IMO. I could nitpick where the hops are added and such but really I think that it needs a dry hop. Maybe 2oz Simcoe and 1 oz each of Citra and Nelson. I think I would like that ratio. With that dry hop you could back of a bit on the kettle additions and be very happy too.

And fasttrack this baby because it looks like great hot weather beer!

#60 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:44 PM

First of all Nelson dont get no lost. It is a very powerful and very unique hop. It will make its presence known. Secondly, I really like everything about the recipe except the lack of a dry hop. The hop combination will be very very nice IMO. I could nitpick where the hops are added and such but really I think that it needs a dry hop. Maybe 2oz Simcoe and 1 oz each of Citra and Nelson. I think I would like that ratio. With that dry hop you could back of a bit on the kettle additions and be very happy too.

And fasttrack this baby because it looks like great hot weather beer!

I had a dry hop in mind and it's not out of the question. I have 2 ounces of Citra, 3 of Nelson and one each of Zythos and Simcoe. So I could dry hop with an ounce each of Nelson and Citra but after that, I don't think I have any more of these varieties and I wouldn't want to introduce another one. The dry hop idea was floating above my head but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. If I added one ounce each of Citra and Nelson, what would you do with the kettle additions? Better yet... why don't you be a dear and rewrite the hop schedule with the 7 ounces I mentioned? :P :lol: This is much more your area than mine.

EDIT: Actually I think I have 2 ounces of Simcoe left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users