#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:21 AM

Gents, I kegged a pale ale a couple weeks ago and just had the chance to take a taste.  After snapping the picnic/cobra to the ball lock, I got a barely dripping pour.  I pulled off the picnic and it appears the poppet is sort of stuck and beer 'hissed' out.  So I know I need to get that ball lock off and either replace or clean and re-attach.  I remember reading about geysers' that can occur during this task.  I'm thinking I should kill the gas and pull the release (several several times) and then pop the lid to ensure nothing erupts.  Am I on the right track?  Or how can I accomplish this mission w/o the mess and subsequent beer loss?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:22 AM

I would shut the gas off and purge it several times over several hours to make sure it is carbonation free.

Good luck!

#3 TAPPER

TAPPER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationStratford, WI

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:22 AM

Yeah, release CO2 and you'll be fine.  How is anything going to come out with no pressure in the keg?  I see no need to release pressure multiple times over hours.  I've had to take posts off in the past to replace a poppet.  Just release CO2 and tear apart. 

Edited by TAPPER, 13 May 2015 - 06:23 AM.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:26 AM

Yeah, release CO2 and you'll be fine.  How is anything going to come out with no pressure in the keg?  I see no need to release pressure multiple times over hours.  I've had to take posts off in the past to replace a poppet.  Just release CO2 and tear apart. 

agreed.  pull the PRV and turn it so it stays open.  no beer will come out of the post.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:27 AM

Smear some keg lube on top of the post.  Take the DC off and on a few times.  That's probably get you through the keg - then you can tear it down when empty.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:30 AM

Thanks fellas!!

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:38 AM

agreed.  pull the PRV and turn it so it stays open.  no beer will come out of the post.

True, but some of the PRVs I have do not work that way and I would not want to crack the lid so that is why I indicated purging it several times.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:46 AM

True, but some of the PRVs I have do not work that way and I would not want to crack the lid so that is why I indicated purging it several times.

I don't really get the several times.  you certainly won't completely decarb the beer this way so at some point after the last time the PRV was pulled and then closed again the pressure is going to start building back up.  if I was dealing with that type of PRV I'd just make sure to work really fast or maybe have a new post all ready to go.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:52 AM

I don't really get the several times.  you certainly won't completely decarb the beer this way so at some point after the last time the PRV was pulled and then closed again the pressure is going to start building back up.  if I was dealing with that type of PRV I'd just make sure to work really fast or maybe have a new post all ready to go.

I guess I would rather be safe that sorry

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:53 AM

I guess I would rather be safe that sorry

nothing makes me sadder than beer flowing out of the keg onto the floor.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

My point exactly and I ####ing hate when my keezer has beer spooge on its floor. My goal is to perform surgery in place so as not to disturb the batch."Scalpel!!!!!!!"

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:35 AM

For some reason I also had overcarbonated in my head also.

#13 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:26 PM

If you think it is just a random piece of debri, and not a lot of hop gunk or break material, you can try purging CO2 through the liquid line, just put a liquid disconnect on a gas line, and bubble some CO2 through that to clear out the stuff. If it is just a little bit, you should be ok. If it clogs again, then you may need to do something more invasive.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

My point exactly and I ####ing hate when my keezer has beer spooge on its floor. My goal is to perform surgery in place so as not to disturb the batch."Scalpel!!!!!!!"

It'll take you about a minute to try the fix I suggested.  I've done it many times with success.

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:12 PM

Pulled it off tonight with no issue and replaced with a universal. Beer is flowing fellas, thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users