Photo
- - - - -

Stir Plates

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Stir Plate Usage (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you own a stir plate?

1. Yes - and I use it on nearly every batch (13 votes [56.52%])

Percentage of vote: 56.52%

2. Yes - I use it occasionally (8 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

3. Yes - but it sits in the closet, lonely, pining for a better life. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. No - pants (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:33 AM

Trying to decide if I need to put one on the equipment list. I typically make 5 or more 1-gallon starters out of a single vial of yeast, but if you go by that yeast calculator I could go smaller with better results if I had a stir plate. Lately I've been experimenting with a couple different dry strains and I can't say I've been too happy with them, so I'm going back to liquid.

About a year ago I was all horny over pH, and now my MW102 is just collecting dust :blush:

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:53 AM

This is what I use. It's good for stirring on a flat bottomed flask of 2L or less. They make a model for up to 5L also.

https://www.farmhous...com/stir-plate/

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

My wife (bless her heart) got me a Maelstrom for my B-day and I have to say what a humongous difference in making a starter. I used to put the beaker on the counter with a post it note saying, "Please give me a swirl" and my wife, Son and I would swirl in whenever we pass by. Not I plug in 24-36 hours etc.. and walk away. I'm sure the yeast quality has risen quite a bit.

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

A stir plate is one of the best improvements you can make to your brewery. 

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

I said occasionally b/c I mostly use dry yeast now.  if I use liquid I make a starter which means I'm using my stir plate.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:25 AM

Every time I brew unless I harvest slurry.  Two homemade.  Parts from dead PCs and old cell phone charges.  One has less than a dollar invested in it.

#7 codemonkey

codemonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

Every time I brew unless I harvest slurry.  Two homemade.  Parts from dead PCs and old cell phone charges.  One has less than a dollar invested in it.

Damn, and I was wondering if I should get the MS-7 or the KMO 2 :D

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

Damn, and I was wondering if I should get the MS-7 or the KMO 2  :D

damn!  I hope you weren't at all serious.  get something used on ebay if you don't want to build something.

#9 codemonkey

codemonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:57 AM

damn!  I hope you weren't at all serious.  get something used on ebay if you don't want to build something.

Slightly, more of a daydream to have a real "lab" at home, but there are a lot of other things higher up on the list. It's because of this snippet here:

Whisky fermentation is quite similar to beer fermentation, but there are couple of important differences; the wort is not boiled, the distiller's yeast is usually propagated aerobically and the fermentations are usually not aeriated or temperature controlled (except the starting temperature).

The amount of higher alcohols depends on the yeast growth; basically the more the yeast grows, the more higher alcohols are formed. Therefore aeriation of the wort, high nitrogen, and high temperature promote fusel alcohol production.

The pros seem to get "cream" yeast shipped in fresh, so they don't have to worry about propagation and can easily overpitch. Seems like if you want to do that a home you need to make huge starters, so I started looking at stir plates that could handle more than a gallon and found brands like the ones above. 

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:06 AM

Slightly, more of a daydream to have a real "lab" at home, but there are a lot of other things higher up on the list. It's because of this snippet here:

The pros seem to get "cream" yeast shipped in fresh, so they don't have to worry about propagation and can easily overpitch. Seems like if you want to do that a home you need to make huge starters, so I started looking at stir plates that could handle more than a gallon and found brands like the ones above. 

https://stir-plate.com/BlackMAXX.htm

Designed for use with 1 to 5 gallon containers.Will easily stir a 5 gallon, high gravity beer, mead or starter!

The Black Maxx is large enough to stir up to 5 gallons. That means you could run a whole batch of beer on a stirplate, or do one monster starter. Great for High Gravity beers or mead to keep the yeast suspended.

#11 codemonkey

codemonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

That is impressive

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

and some blue board inginuity

https://www.brews-br...mild/?p=2025166

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:25 PM

https://stir-plate.com/BlackMAXX.htm

Designed for use with 1 to 5 gallon containers.Will easily stir a 5 gallon, high gravity beer, mead or starter!

The Black Maxx is large enough to stir up to 5 gallons. That means you could run a whole batch of beer on a stirplate, or do one monster starter. Great for High Gravity beers or mead to keep the yeast suspended.

Dammit. I'm gonna need one of those.

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

I said occasionally b/c I mostly use dry yeast now.  if I use liquid I make a starter which means I'm using my stir plate.

pretty much this

#15 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:43 PM

Swagman made one with a sewing machine motor once. I bet that thing could churn a lot of gallons.

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:09 AM

Swagman made one with a sewing machine motor once. I bet that thing could churn a lot of gallons.

I seem to recall that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users