31 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:27 AM

Pitched 2 packages in a 1.044 beer over 48 hours ago with no sign of any activity. Carboy is sitting at 50. I have not used this yeast before but typical see a faster start with dry than this. I figure I will let it go till Wednesday and then throw something else in if it stays the same.

ETA: the yeast was re-hydrated prior to pitching.

Edited by drez77, 19 May 2015 - 04:17 AM.

#2 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:18 AM

That does seem odd.  Maybe it needed 3 packs?  I wouldn't think so but maybe you got some old dead yeast or something.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:24 AM

That does seem odd.  Maybe it needed 3 packs?  I wouldn't think so but maybe you got some old dead yeast or something.

I sure hope at 1.044 beer would not need three packs.  I have the empty packages at home I will have to look at the dates. 

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:38 AM

I sure hope at 1.044 beer would not need three packs.  I have the empty packages at home I will have to look at the dates.

I assume everything is in order... airlock, seal on the primary lid or bung, etc. I made a beer on Saturday (with a fresh slurry of 2002) and picked a bucket and lid that were not the perfect match. I went down there the next day and gave it a swirl and got all kinds of activity in the airlock. Next day there was nothing happening. I had to reseat the lid and then I got airlock activity. Honestly, I can't imagine that you would even need 2 packs of dry yeast for a 1.044 but since it's a lager, I could see 2 packs. But not 3. Was the wort well-oxygenated? What kind of beer are you making?

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:41 AM

I assume everything is in order... airlock, seal on the primary lid or bung, etc. I made a beer on Saturday (with a fresh slurry of 2002) and picked a bucket and lid that were not the perfect match. I went down there the next day and gave it a swirl and got all kinds of activity in the airlock. Next day there was nothing happening. I had to reseat the lid and then I got airlock activity. Honestly, I can't imagine that you would even need 2 packs of dry yeast for a 1.044 but since it's a lager, I could see 2 packs. But not 3. Was the wort well-oxygenated? What kind of beer are you making?

German Pilsner.  Better bottle and it is sealed good with a universal stopper and the airlock is in teh stopper tight.  I never oxygenate my wort when I use dry yeast.  If this was an ale one package would have been all i pitched but since it was a lager I went with two.  2 slow starting beers in a row, I do not like this!

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:47 AM

34/70 is my go-to lager yeast, and even with non-expired packs, i've seen 48-hour lags in prior lagers.

Since i use mainly dry yeast anymore, what i've gotten into the habit of doing is: once aeration is complete, I sprinkle the yeast over the foam and let it sink in on it's own.  I do this for both ales and lagers.

I used to stir the yeast in manually, but (and this is only my experience, YMMV, etc.), i've had shorter lag times and more complete fermenations since, by just sprinkling the dry yeast in and leaving it alone.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:52 AM

34/70 is my go-to lager yeast, and even with non-expired packs, i've seen 48-hour lags in prior lagers.

Since i use mainly dry yeast anymore, what i've gotten into the habit of doing is: once aeration is complete, I sprinkle the yeast over the foam and let it sink in on it's own.  I do this for both ales and lagers.

I used to stir the yeast in manually, but (and this is only my experience, YMMV, etc.), i've had shorter lag times and more complete fermenations since, by just sprinkling the dry yeast in and leaving it alone.

that's exactly what I've been doing lately (granted, only with ale yeasts) and I have been having good luck with it.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:54 AM

Typically for ales I just sprinkle and let go.  This one I did re-hydrate and just poured in.

#9 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:02 AM

Your beer will most likely be just fine. 

I'd suspect you'll see krausen by the time you get home or tomorrow a.m. at the latest.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

Your beer will most likely be just fine. 

I'd suspect you'll see krausen by the time you get home or tomorrow a.m. at the latest.

this

RDWHAHB :D :D  :frank:

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:23 AM

Your beer will most likely be just fine. I'd suspect you'll see krausen by the time you get home or tomorrow a.m. at the latest.

Well, nothing yet. I guess if no activity tonight a backup yeast goes in. By then it will be over 96 hours.

#12 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:25 AM

If you have the time, maybe gently rouse the yeast with a sanitized spoon, and get them back in suspension?

I'd agree, if there's no activity at all when you check tonight, a backup yeast might be the only way to keep this batch from spoiling.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:56 AM

Sux. Unexpected yeast behavior is maddening.

What's the backup yeast?

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:06 AM

If you have the time, maybe gently rouse the yeast with a sanitized spoon, and get them back in suspension?

I'd agree, if there's no activity at all when you check tonight, a backup yeast might be the only way to keep this batch from spoiling.

I did that with the wand for my aeration stone and swirled the carboy a bit hoping to give it a shot in the arm.

Sux. Unexpected yeast behavior is maddening.

What's the backup yeast?

Sadly it will be some dry ale yeast, 04 or 05 I presume.  I seem to be doomed at brewing a lager, even with dry yeast!. 

#15 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:18 AM

Notty ferments very clean and cold in the mid-50s, try that.

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

50 might be too cold, warm it up to 55

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

There is a bit of activity now, hope how more by morning.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

There is a bit of activity now, hope how more by morning.

I'd consider bringing the temp up a few degrees until it gets going 

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:53 PM

I'd consider bringing the temp up a few degrees until it gets going

Good point

#20 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:19 PM

My last lager started slow like this with that yeast... and I was going really cold with it too... I think I was around 48-49 and needed to raise the temp to 55.  I wouldn't worry about going up to 55.  It will be clean there as well.  This yeast is very forgiving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users