#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:14 PM

Hi guys... spring is here and we have moved to a new house, so once again its time to brew.  If you recall, 3 years ago I made a Hefe for a family reunion.  When it hit 1.015, I racked it to the keg, stuck a pressure gauge on it, and let the final fermentation provide the carbonation.  The beer was a hit and was gone in like 55 minutes.  

This year I am making 10 gallons for the same event.  Another "cousin" is making 5 gallons of a Pale Ale.  We will supplement the 15 with a commercial keg.  We probably need close to 25+ gallons for this event.  

Anywho... same story... making 10 gallons of Hefe.  I transferred it today but had a question about carbonation.

I have the kegs in a room at about 62 degrees.  I want to shoot for about 4 volumes of CO-2.  If I read the tea leaves right (Carbonation Calculator), I need to get the pressure up to about 45 psi.

Does this sound right for the temp that it will be carbonating at???

If I were to set the gas on it, at 62 degrees, I'd have to set the gas to 62, right?

I can always bleed off the gas.  I work from home, so can check multiple times a day.Sorry to be such a stranger.  I gave up the PH for mental health reasons, and with no brewing in the winter... I just forgot to check in.  

Hope ya'll are doing good.

DS

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

That sounds about right from what I can find.  Maybe shoot for 3.5 and adjust from there?

I've never force carbed in the 60s

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

I should clarify... not hooking it up to gas.  But if I were to hook it up to gas at 62, then 45 would be the correct PSI setting for a CO2 level of 4.  I think you confirmed that.  So if I'm letting the fermentation finish out to provide the carbonation, then I should bleed off anything above 45 (assuming I want a level of 4, but I could bump down to 3.3 as well).

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

I think you've got it right.  this is something I'd like to try some day but I don't really like the idea of moving unfinished beer.

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

Sounds like you have it right.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

I think you've got it right.  this is something I'd like to try some day but I don't really like the idea of moving unfinished beer.

If you hit it at the right gravity... around 1.015 if you are expecting 1.010, then it works nicely.  I figure a Hefe is one of the few that you can do it and keep it in the same keg.  Otherwise, I'd expect you would have to use a jumper system to get it from one keg to the other to minimize the yeast.

I should also add that we have had unusually low temps.  The kegs have been in the 4 Season room and this morning the room was in the upper 50's.  I'm not too concerned.  I can always take them down to the basement where it is more stable, but still low to mid 60's.  They are in the 4 season because that is where the gas was so that I could seat the lids properly.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

makes me wish I had a valve on my primary - really I'd like to have some pressure during the whole ferment for most beers.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:57 AM

makes me wish I had a valve on my primary - really I'd like to have some pressure during the whole ferment for most beers.

Why?

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

Why?

supposed to make the ferment cleaner.  it would be great for euro lagers and most of the American ales I make.

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

I've never heard this method before.  Do you have any sources talking about it?  I don't see changing.  I use plastic buckets for primary, but am curious about it.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

You can add one.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:31 AM

I've never heard this method before.  Do you have any sources talking about it?  I don't see changing.  I use plastic buckets for primary, but am curious about it.

it's been said various places but it's in "yeast" if you have a copy of it.  pressure during fermentation reduces esters and fusel alcohols.

You can add one.

if only the lid would hold more than a couple of PSI :deadhorse:

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:34 AM

if only the lid would hold more than a couple of PSI :deadhorse:

But it does :D

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

Just as an update.  The kegs are approaching 30 PSI.  I'm feeling pretty good about how things have been going.  The last time I did this, it was 3 weeks from crushing the grain to kicking the keg and it was good.  I did, at that time, reserve a growler that I had a few weeks later, which would be on par with the timing this year.  And I've got to say the growler was one of the best tasting wheat beers I've had.  Reunion is June 27th.  That will give it a solid 5 weeks of conditioning in the kegs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users