29 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

I figure this should be a quick turn around easy drinker.  I will most likely just go no-sparge with this one.  Most likely I will just go with S-05 unless I can get that Conan to start this time. I am contemplating throwing some galaxy and centennial in a hop back on the way to chilling and skip the dry hops but still not sure on that.

Hoppy Blonde

6g batch

Mash Temp – 152*

OG – 1.046

Grist

76% - 8# Two Row

19% - 2# Wheat

5% - ½# Crystal 10

Hops

20IBU of Apollo – 60 Minutes

28g Galaxy – Steep- 30 minutes @ 165*

28g Centennial – Steep- 30 minutes @ 165*

28g Galaxy – Dry Hop – 4 days

28g Centennial – Dry Hop– 4 days

Water

Ca – 100ppm

Mg- 3ppm

Na – 24ppm

SO4- 86ppm

Cl- 115ppm

Yeast

S-05

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

Simplicity at its best. I'll have a pint please.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16584 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

Yep. That beer won't last long. I like it too. Galaxy will play nice with a lot of hops IMO. Centennial is no exception. 

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

interesting sulfate and chloride numbers.  what's the thought process there?

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:01 AM

interesting sulfate and chloride numbers.  what's the thought process there?

Something that I have wanted to play with for a while after I read Shaun Hill from Hill Farmstead talking about how important chloride is for hoppy beer.  A higher chloride amount is supposed to "smooth" out the beer and give it a silky/creamy/softer mouthfeel.  I know nettles did a beer recently with a high chloride amount.  I figure it is time to give it a try.

Yep. That beer won't last long. I like it too. Galaxy will play nice with a lot of hops IMO. Centennial is no exception. 

I went back and forth between centennial and Amarillo and landed on teh cents just in-case I decide to use the hop-back.  I do not have whole Amarillo but I do for galaxy and cents.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:03 AM

Something that I have wanted to play with for a while after I read Shaun Hill from Hill Farmstead talking about how important chloride is for hoppy beer.  A higher chloride amount is supposed to "smooth" out the beer and give it a silky/creamy/softer mouthfeel.  I know nettles did a beer recently with a high chloride amount.  I figure it is time to give it a try.

I went back and forth between centennial and Amarillo and landed on teh cents just in-case I decide to use the hop-back.  I do not have whole Amarillo but I do for galaxy and cents.

did he say how much chloride?  did he say how much sulfate can go with it?

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16584 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:06 AM

Neither. It is a well reputed mystery.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53824 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

I know we talked about this (I think in the session IPA thread... btw, I made that beer early this morning) and I wonder about a hoppy beer with more chloride than sulfate. I almost always have more chloride than sulfate in my beers but for this session IPA, I had slightly more sulfate but neither number were very high. Drez, keep us posted on how it comes out.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:11 AM

No ..he never really gives out specifics on anything it is all trial and error for the brewer.  I have read some blogs and other forum posting and just kind of picked a value to run with.. it may be a train wreck but I think I am still conservative compared to some that I saw going over 200ppm.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16584 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

Having made all my hoppy beers with considerable sulfate (150-250) for a good while I have begun to drop it down. My latest pale ale was 90ppm and it lacked nothing in terms of hop presence. There is still lots of playing I need to do with this but I am beginning to see what I have heard chils say and I am pretty sure I have picked out the flavor of the sulfate. Dropping it down has not made my beers sweeter or less hoppy it just seems to take that pseudo-dry sulfate flavor away. At least that is my current take on it. 

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

No ..he never really gives out specifics on anything it is all trial and error for the brewer.  I have read some blogs and other forum posting and just kind of picked a value to run with.. it may be a train wreck but I think I am still conservative compared to some that I saw going over 200ppm.

yeah - I think I'd keep it under 150ppm until you try out some of these lower amounts.

Having made all my hoppy beers with considerable sulfate (150-250) for a good while I have begun to drop it down. My latest pale ale was 90ppm and it lacked nothing in terms of hop presence. There is still lots of playing I need to do with this but I am beginning to see what I have heard chils say and I am pretty sure I have picked out the flavor of the sulfate. Dropping it down has not made my beers sweeter or less hoppy it just seems to take that pseudo-dry sulfate flavor away. At least that is my current take on it. 

good to know.  I may back off from using metric tons of gypsum in my beers ;)

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53824 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

It's definitely something you do not hear. Most hoppy-beer brewers are all about the sulfate and they usually have 3-5 times more SO4 than Cl. But just because we don't hear about this doesn't mean it's wrong or bad. I hadn't heard of anyone bittering with Amarillo either and the beer I did that on was delicious all the way around. Sometimes it's just better to try it instead of relying on someone else's opinion.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16584 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

I went up to 150ppm Cl (90ppm SO4) on my latest one and tasted no such train wreck. It was a very, very nice beer.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

I went up to 150ppm Cl (90ppm SO4) on my latest one and tasted no such train wreck. It was a very, very nice beer.

so not bad - but was there something good that it did?

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

Good, that makes me feel like I should be fine here.

It's definitely something you do not hear. Most hoppy-beer brewers are all about the sulfate and they usually have 3-5 times more SO4 than Cl. But just because we don't hear about this doesn't mean it's wrong or bad. I hadn't heard of anyone bittering with Amarillo either and the beer I did that on was delicious all the way around. Sometimes it's just better to try it instead of relying on someone else's opinion.

There are a lot of breweries that seem to be doing things opposite of that.  I agree that it used to be up the SO4 as far as you could and you are find but I see that being backed down.  Stuff coming out of Hill Farmstead, Tired Hands and local to me Tree House all seem to have hoppy beers with a great mouth feel.  For the most part I like my hoppy beers to be dry but for this beer I am looking for more mouth-feel for some reason.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

I feel so behind the times on my sulfate usage :blush:

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

I feel so behind the times on my sulfate usage :blush:

Do you like what you are brewing?  If so you are not behind the times.  I like the water profile I use for most of my APAs like the Chinook/Citra beer but I am just looking to do some experimentation with different water profiles.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

Do you like what you are brewing?  If so you are not behind the times.  I like the water profile I use for most of my APAs like the Chinook/Citra beer but I am just looking to do some experimentation with different water profiles.

I generally do but I do like to try things that the new popular craft breweries are doing.  it's interesting to see if I can create a similar product.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53824 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:37 AM

I generally do but I do like to try things that the new popular craft breweries are doing.  it's interesting to see if I can create a similar product.

I agree and I like the idea of experimenting especially in areas where it seems like it goes against the grain a little bit. When you guys mentioned something about "reducing maltiness" in some of these IPAs, I think you broke my brain a little because you might hear that to support all of those hops, you need to counter with some maltiness. This is one of the benefits of bouncing this stuff around with other brewers... try some off-the-map things and compare notes. Drez, how many IBUs did your hoppy blonde recipe come out to? I'm curious about how close it will be to this session IPA (which I originally referred to as just a hoppy blonde ale) and our grain bill and hop schedule are not that far apart although our hop varieties are different.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:00 PM

Drez, how many IBUs did your hoppy blonde recipe come out to? I'm curious about how close it will be to this session IPA (which I originally referred to as just a hoppy blonde ale) and our grain bill and hop schedule are not that far apart although our hop varieties are different.

If you believe Beersmith 2 mobile 56.1 IBU

httpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yBt0AEO0P18/VVzZaQJEWrI/AAAAAAAAKww/jDoRxIJyQ_Q/w900-h802-no/hoppy%2Bblonde.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users