29 replies to this topic

#21 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

Looks like you have your Beersmith preferences set to give you some significant IBUs from the whirlpool. Like 35 of them.

ETA: Of course if you are steeping at or near 212F this would make some sense. My understanding is that isomerization ceases to be significant under like 180-185F or something like that.

ETA2: According to this its 175F httpss://byo.com/hops/item/2808-hop-stands

Edited by nettles, 20 May 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

Looks like you have your Beersmith preferences set to give you some significant IBUs from the whirlpool. Like 35 of them.

I am sure there is a way to tweak the utilization of the whirlpool/steep. I will have to look into that because I do not agree with the values.

#23 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

I am sure there is a way to tweak the utilization of the whirlpool/steep. I will have to look into that because I do not agree with the values.

Yeah there is, at least on the desktop version. For me, I steep at 165F and have the program assume utilization of 0%. 

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

Yeah there is, at least on the desktop version. For me, I steep at 165F and have the program assume utilization of 0%. 

I just looked really fast and do not see an option on the mobile version.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54009 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

This one and the session IPA are very similar numbers-wise and grain bill-wise. On this one I added 3 ounces of pellets to the wort at 175°, stirred and left it there with the lid on for 20 minutes and when I came back it was at 160° so my guess is that would equate to ZERO IBUs but lots of flavor and aroma. Good stuff.

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

This one and the session IPA are very similar numbers-wise and grain bill-wise. On this one I added 3 ounces of pellets to the wort at 175°, stirred and left it there with the lid on for 20 minutes and when I came back it was at 160° so my guess is that would equate to ZERO IBUs but lots of flavor and aroma. Good stuff.

:chug:

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

This one and the session IPA are very similar numbers-wise and grain bill-wise. 

Seems like the time of the year for these types of beers to be coming together. I have an English Summer Ale coming up that is similar to these as well with an English twist. I'll post up a recipe later. Also I'm going to be making my Gumballhead summer wheat and varying the hops in subsequent batches. 

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

Gumballhead summer wheat and varying the hops in subsequent batches.

Citra makes a great version.

#29 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:45 PM

So.... couldn't you also call this a yellow pale ale? Or a commercial IPA!?!?! 

:blink: :frantic: :blink: :frantic: :crazy:

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:44 AM

So.... couldn't you also call this a yellow pale ale? Or a commercial IPA!?!?! 

:blink: :frantic: :blink: :frantic: :crazy:

Or a hoppy blonde?  I am not really sure what the name matters.  I do not really thinks this beer fits any pre-made style bucket.  To me this will be a light colored beer with a lower abv and about 20 IBUs (I do not agree with the Beersmith IBU calculation)  and a medium mouthfeel.  I am just looking for a light, low abv beer wtih a hop punch.  So maybe I will call it Hop Punch :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users