denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:42 AM

"Session" and "IPA"? :huh:

Yep.  Brew what you like, but call it what it is.  IPA is already defined and that definition excludes most of the low gravity hoppy beers that are called session IPA.  Might as well call it an overhopped pale ale.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

As a new brewery, you might want to be careful that you aren't making beers for the taste preferences of beer drinkers in 2005.

This is just generally good advice. I always wondered what would happen if someone opened a brewery with their favorite styles but the local citizenry wanted something different. I suppose the people who like your styles would eventually find you but it occurs to me that you need to brew and sell beer that people want.

#23 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:14 PM

As a new brewery, you might want to be careful that you aren't making beers for the taste preferences of beer drinkers in 2005. I think the public's preference is trending toward the the pale, fruity, less malty, less bitter IPAs. I suppose there will always be a market for throwback IPAs, though, especially among the cohort of men now in their 40's, 50's and 60's that developed their tastes in the earlier days of the craft beer movement.

I have to say, though, that I agree that I find some of them to be kind of like Simcoe-flavored, high ABV PBR.

I'm entirely aware of my tastes versus my potential customers tastes. It's my goal to put out stellar beers no matter the style. I think that gimmick beers won't matter if your product stands out as being top quality. There's a couple breweries/brewers locally that I endeavor to emulate and have the benefit of calling upon for help and guidance that have taken this path already. I know it's a good way to do business. 

I also know when a beer is really good, average, or bad no matter the style. Some of these session IPA's (especially the local ones I've tried) just aren't good beer and that's not just my opinion, I've payed paticular attention to what people drink at the craft beer bars.

There's a time and a place for all well made really good beers. I'm just saying that people trying to make session IPA are missing the mark for the most part. That doesn't mean that the style can't be done well, it just means that breweries have jumped on a gimmick for sales and marketing, but haven't perfected the beer. 

#24 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:30 AM

Yep. Brew what you like, but call it what it is. IPA is already defined and that definition excludes most of the low gravity hoppy beers that are called session IPA. Might as well call it an overhopped pale ale.

Why the hate for Session IPA? We could just call them IPA since there are still plenty of sub 5% IPAs in the UK. Beer definitions evolve/change all the time.

#25 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:23 AM

Why the hate for Session IPA? We could just call them IPA since there are still plenty of sub 5% IPAs in the UK. Beer definitions evolve/change all the time.

too much emphasis is place on categorical definition IMHO

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:47 AM

too much emphasis is place on categorical definition IMHO

Agreed. Also, many of these beers and styles overlap to the point where one beer might be tossed into 2 or 3 different categories. If my brain dreams up a beer, I don't necessarily think about what category it fits into nor do I care if it doesn't fit into any.

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:48 AM

Agreed. Also, many of these beers and styles overlap to the point where one beer might be tossed into 2 or 3 different categories. If my brain dreams up a beer, I don't necessarily think about what category it fits into nor do I care if it doesn't fit into any.

I see styles as a starting point when designing a beer. It doesn't need to end up in style, but it give you a broad range of flavors, aromas, and mouthfeel and then a jumping off point on how to get there.

#28 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

And I agree with your basic premise.  But words have meanings and the meaning of IPA is already defined.  Brew anything you like, but call it what it is.

#29 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:18 AM

And I agree with your basic premise.  But words have meanings and the meaning of IPA is already defined.  Brew anything you like, but call it what it is.

as mentioned just a few posts above, IPA in the UK is often below 5%, why not here?

#30 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

And I agree with your basic premise. But words have meanings and the meaning of IPA is already defined. Brew anything you like, but call it what it is.

The new BJCP guidelines have completely redifined IPA.

#31 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:52 AM

Its funny when a thread on this side starts to sound like a chili thread in the PH :)

#32 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

Its funny when a thread on this side starts to sound like a chili thread in the PH :)

There's no beans in charcoal grilled beer!

#33 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

There's no beans in charcoal grilled beer!

Chicken!

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

The new BJCP guidelines have completely redifined IPA.

Guess I should look at them, huh?

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

Denny, I will agree with you regarding the "call it what it is" part, no question. If someone makes a beer with 2-row base malt, Cluster and Cascade and uses 1056 and calls it Pilsner, I have a huge problem with it. That may be because pilsner is in my close circle of beer that I enjoy. If IPA is like that for you and these beers that we're talking about don't sound like IPA, I could see your point. OTOH, if the BJCP has redefined IPA... there's that part of it too.

#36 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

There's a 21b specialty IPA with 3 subcategories. The lowest is session that's 3-5% ABV.Ive brewed 1.050 OG hoppy beers. Too hoppy to call APA, not enough OG to call IPA IMHO. I call them hoppy APAs. I like them to have a nice malt character to balance the hops.I'm glad the BJCP added a category so people can send them in to be judged against similar beers. Won't affect me as I rarely send beers in. Just not interested in comps.

#37 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:08 PM

Next up on my Agenda is a Chocolate porter or stout .Only question is do i use English or American yeast?

#38 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:45 AM

Brewing Kolsch today.

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

Okay, hold up. Beer #2 on my list may get scratched. I just kegged a "british blonde/English Summer Ale" and I have a number of other gold beers so my thinking is this... A Red Ale made with all RedX as the base malt and then 4 ounces of Special B and 4 ounces of Thomas Fawcett & Sons Dark Crystal #1. I used that crystal in the ESB I posted in the picture thread and it has some red in it. Bitter with Magnum and then a bunch of late Santiam or something along those lines. A 5%, SRM 15, IBU 35 Red Ale. Huh, huh?

#40 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

Brewing a raspberry wheat tomorrow.

Okay, hold up. Beer #2 on my list may get scratched. I just kegged a "british blonde/English Summer Ale" and I have a number of other gold beers so my thinking is this... A Red Ale made with all RedX as the base malt and then 4 ounces of Special B and 4 ounces of Thomas Fawcett & Sons Dark Crystal #1. I used that crystal in the ESB I posted in the picture thread and it has some red in it. Bitter with Magnum and then a bunch of late Santiam or something along those lines. A 5%, SRM 15, IBU 35 Red Ale. Huh, huh?

Sounds like a winner, Ken. 

BTW, how did the hopstand beer turn out?  I recall it was called Plan B or something like that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users