6 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

This one is about trying something new, using the active 1469 I have going, trying out Glacier for the first time, and just looking for something hoppy, flavorful, and drinkable in the warmer weather. Anyone have any thoughts on Glacier? Browsing the internet there seems to be very few people who didn't like it, but still it seems under appreciated. Thought about a small (~4oz) addition of Victory here too but I'm thinking there may be enough going on here without it.

6 Gallons

OG 1.050

IBU 35

SRM 5.6

70% Crisp Maris Otter

25% Briess Red Wheat

5% Baird's Light Carastan (15L)

Mash 150-152F

Challenger @60 to 35 IBU

56g Glacier/ 20g Amarillo 165F whirlpool hopstand

56g Glacier/ 20g Amarillo dry hop

WY1469 West Yorkshire

ferment @65F

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:02 PM

Should be nice. I have Glacier in a pale ale (in secondary) that was used in conjunction with Northern Brewer, Santiam and Saphir. That beer will get a dry hop of one ounce each of Glacier and Saphir so I should get a decent feel for the Glacier.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

Should be nice. I have Glacier in a pale ale (in secondary) that was used in conjunction with Northern Brewer, Santiam and Saphir. That beer will get a dry hop of one ounce each of Glacier and Saphir so I should get a decent feel for the Glacier.

Yeah, let me know. From the sound of it it's a very nice hop but reputed to be much more subtle in flavor that your typical american hops. 

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

Yeah, let me know. From the sound of it it's a very nice hop but reputed to be much more subtle in flavor that your typical american hops.

Not sure if you remember this but when I went to IU there was a brewpub called Scotty's (I think) and they had a nice pale ale made with Glacier and it piqued my interest because I hadn't used it before. Now I remember... It's Scotty's Brewhouse but the beer is known as "Three Wise Men". The beer is Rocky Ripple Pale Ale. There is info HERE.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

Not sure if you remember this but when I went to IU there was a brewpub called Scotty's (I think) and they had a nice pale ale made with Glacier and it piqued my interest because I hadn't used it before. Now I remember... It's Scotty's Brewhouse but the beer is known as "Three Wise Men". The beer is Rocky Ripple Pale Ale. There is info HERE.

Cool. Looks like Glacier and Amarillo too. Knowing Amarillo I thought the description of glacier would pair nicely. I chose the quantities of the two so as to not overwhelm the glacier but to complement it. Hopefully I am somewhere near the target.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:08 PM

Cool. Looks like Glacier and Amarillo too. Knowing Amarillo I thought the description of glacier would pair nicely. I chose the quantities of the two so as to not overwhelm the glacier but to complement it. Hopefully I am somewhere near the target.

Right. I think your balance is good. That beer also had Horizon in it... another hop I have never used.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

Right. I think your balance is good. That beer also had Horizon in it... another hop I have never used.

Good to hear on the balance. I think Horizon is high alpha and typically used for bittering but who knows for sure what they did with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users