32 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

How about adding some flake to get that mouth feel you are looking for without sacrificing a style that finishes to sweet? This would sorta trick your pallet into thinking the beer is not as dry as it really is. I did this with my session NZ Pils posted in the recipe section.

Good thinking ;)

#22 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:11 PM

I have some wheat in the recipe which might add to body. I also have some flaked barley, which may be a good addition but I don't want to just throw stuff. I'll post my recipe tomorrow for your most helpful input.

#23 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:27 PM

I halt fermentation on all my ciders without use of chemicals.  Check gravity often, and rack often, if you want to retain sweetness.  Hit with gelatin if things get out of hand, then rack again, and again.  And cold crash.  All these things in concert get me the residual sweetness in my ciders that I desire, otherwise if left untouched they would all go down to 0.992-0.994 which is very very dry.

I don't see why you couldn't try the same thing with beer if you really wanted to.  When gravity is about 5-10 points higher than you want, hit with gelatin, rack and cold crash, wait a couple days, and do it all again if you want final gravity to finish higher than normal.  It *could* be done.  Should it?  That's a whole 'nother question.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:19 AM

I would worry about the purposeful halting of beer fermentation causing off flavors.  I always assumed during the late stages of fermentation the yeast was cleaning up fermentation by products.

#25 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

I would worry about the purposeful halting of beer fermentation causing off flavors.  I always assumed during the late stages of fermentation the yeast was cleaning up fermentation by products.

excellent point

#26 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:31 PM

I would worry about the purposeful halting of beer fermentation causing off flavors. I always assumed during the late stages of fermentation the yeast was cleaning up fermentation by products.

I read the whole thread to say this.

#27 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

Grains are crushed, water is measured, I'm going to NOT mess with my original plan. Letting the ferment run its course as the beer Gods intend it. Physched for this split batch! Thanks Fellas for talking me off the ledge.

#28 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

Yeah man, just brew it how it sounds good in your head, just let the yeast do its thing.  The last thing you want is a bunch of acetaldehyde messing up your vision 

#29 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

Yeah man, just brew it how it sounds good in your head, just let the yeast do its thing.  The last thing you want is a bunch of acetaldehyde messing up your vision 

Bud--Weis---er!

#30 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:06 PM

Well, she's mashed in right around 150. Good night fellas, see you around 6am.

#31 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

Well, she's mashed in right around 150. Good night fellas, see you around 6am.

How did the rest of the session go?  What was your starting gravity?

#32 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

Saturday went well and despite my concerns I hit higher than the estimated 1.047 - 1.054. For some reason when I make 'yellow' beer I always increase efficiency. Bother fermenters are chugging away. With the additional gravity, I'm thinking two things at this time. 1. There's enough malt to dry out the Saisons and leave desired body. Next 'yellow' batch I can cut down on my grain bill.

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

Saturday went well and despite my concerns I hit higher than the estimated 1.047 - 1.054. For some reason when I make 'yellow' beer I always increase efficiency. Bother fermenters are chugging away. With the additional gravity, I'm thinking two things at this time. 1. There's enough malt to dry out the Saisons and leave desired body. Next 'yellow' batch I can cut down on my grain bill.

IIRC the amylase enzymes work better at pHs of 5.6-5.9 so if you have no pH comtrol on your pale beers that MAY have something to do with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users