#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:28 AM

Hi All, I finally got my Moteuka Saison in the kettle and today both batches are grinding away. My sister in the Keys sent me a big bag of ruby red hibiscus flowers and I added 5 ounces to the batch with Belle Saison. The color is brilliant https://im1.shutterf.../rx=550/ry=400/ After the boil I ladeled out enough wort to steep 5 ounces of the flowers and this is what the batch looked like racking to fermenter https://im1.shutterf.../rx=550/ry=400/ 5 gallons is fermenting with Yeast Bay's Blend. Looking forward to both. By the way, can anyone school me on how to get the pictures to post directly into the thread? It seems that none of the link or image icons will work for me. Thanks, Mike

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

ETA: I am interested on how these come out.  My saison starter is on the counter right now.

I'll keep you posted for sure. The Hibiscus Belle batch seems to have slowed already and the K has fallen. I roused the batch this morning and if it seems quiet again this evening I might grab a reading to see where I'm at. The YBay Blend is strumming along pretty crazy. What starter do you have working?

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:05 AM

Fellas, here's the hibiscus, 1.053 to 1.008 in 3 days with Belle Saison. The color is brilliant and the taste tangy/spicy. Cannot wait to see how the color evolves after more of the yeast drops out.

Posted Image

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:39 AM

At first glance

Posted Image

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:43 AM

Nice!

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:04 AM

Purdy color. Hows the taste?

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

So are the flowers you used dried or fresh?

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:20 AM

Purdy color. Hows the taste?

The taste is very pleasing.  The hibiscus provides a good amount of tart and tangy and the Motueka spice plays very well.  The Belle Saison is faint however.  I am very happy with the flavor so far but the beer is young.  Definitely a thirst quencher / beach beer.

Also, to coin a line from 2nd Shift Brewing about their Hibiscus Wheat, "There's a hint of fart" in there too.  Not sure its derivation..

So are the flowers you used dried or fresh?

The flowers were dried but still soft.  Deep ruby color.  Made a great 'test' tea....

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 11 June 2015 - 07:22 AM.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

that is a wild looking beer.  i wonder how little hibiscus you could use and still achieve that color.  you know - avoid the fart and just get the color. :P

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

Next time I use it I am going to add just 3 ounces.  I "think" it will still be a brilliant red.  Not as dark of course but still unique.  Compared to the color of Boulevard's Hibiscus Gose mine is super dark.

Less fart would be appreciated.  But like all good farts, they dissipate in time.......  It actually lessens once the beer opens up in the glass......

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 15 June 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:10 PM

Here's just one more with some "regular" Saison added 50/50. This cuts the not so traditional beer flavor of the Hibiscus but truly adds to the funkiness of Saison. This is the way to have it. Full on Hibiscus is too much too crazy. I'm please with both batches. As mentioned above, next time I'll lighten the flower charge but will definitely keep experimenting with it. Cheers

Posted Image

#12 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

So to clarify you brewed a 5gal batch and split it in half? So 2.5gal got 5oz of hibiscus flower tea added? I'm thinking of experimenting with this myself.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

10 gallon split into 5's. 5 oz of Hibiscus was steeped in post-boil wort and added to the fermenter. 5 oz was way too much for my taste. Next round. And there will be a next round, I will use 2 - 2.5 ounces. I won't achieve the deep color but flavor is more important here. Matt, go for it.

#14 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:31 PM

Cool, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users