#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:19 AM

Good Morning Fellas, BYO Mar/Apr had a great IPA article and one of the recipes really intrigues me; Riverwards IPA. With the exception of the Columbus and the flaked oats, I have everything else on hand. I plan on substituting Magnum for the CTZ and I was wondering if I could use (on-hand) flaked barley instead of the oats. I'm looking for input on this. Also, if you suggest I use oats, is there something off the shelf at the grocer I can use? Here's the article/recipe. Pretty interesting read. Thanks, Mike https://www.alesofth...commercial.html

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:26 AM

Quick oats from the grocery store will work just fine.

The original Tired Hands clone is on my list of beers to brew.  If you want to read more start here .. now some of it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Posted Image

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:38 AM

Thank you for the suggestion and good read. I'm guessing that the oats will smooth out the flavor nicely. Should play very well with the Vermont strain too.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:47 AM

at first I was going to suggest getting your hands on some CTZ if you can but looking at that recipe and how little they are using and at 60 mins it will hardly make any difference at all.  looks delicious!

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:49 AM

interesting article too.  recapturing the steam for cleaning?  :lol:  is this brewery in CA?

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:58 AM

Not sure where they are but I plan on exploring the blog more. Interesting stuff. I've been considering picking up some Columbus just to fill the one tiny available spot in my freezer.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:59 AM

Not sure where they are but I plan on exploring the blog more. Interesting stuff. I've been considering picking up some Columbus just to fill the one tiny available spot in my freezer.

it's in philly - I was just joking.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:34 AM

I have followed his blog for a while, there are some good things on there.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:12 PM

Good Morning Fellas, BYO Mar/Apr had a great IPA article and one of the recipes really intrigues me; Riverwards IPA. With the exception of the Columbus and the flaked oats, I have everything else on hand. I plan on substituting Magnum for the CTZ and I was wondering if I could use (on-hand) flaked barley instead of the oats. I'm looking for input on this. Also, if you suggest I use oats, is there something off the shelf at the grocer I can use? Here's the article/recipe. Pretty interesting read. Thanks, Mike https://www.alesofth...commercial.html

Quick oats from the grocery store will work just fine.

The original Tired Hands clone is on my list of beers to brew.  If you want to read more start here .. now some of it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Did either of you guys ever make these beers? Thoughts?

Drez updated link to recipe...https://www.alesofth...e-revisted.html

really thinking about putting this one together for a quick brew later this week.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:18 AM

I followed the recipe pretty much down the line and have to tell you that the 6 ounce dry hop was way out of my scope of enjoyment. All I got was a humongous grapefruit punch to the face. My friends said they liked it but with some prompting from me, it was pretty much agreed that the citrus was over the top. I like the use of all of the hops too. Just not at that amount.

Overall, the malt bill was very nice. To do it again I'd cut the whirlpool to an ounce each and drop the DH to a third. Keep in mind my tastes have been gravitating to more traditional beers and less over the top IPA's etc.....

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:40 AM

It is still on my list but just have not got around to it.  Not sure when I will.  Surprised the DH gave you that much grapefruit, I thought the Simcoe would cut down some of that Amarillo.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:44 AM

Amarillo is one of my favorites and I never experience that type of grapefruit with its use before. I think it hinged more on the citra addition. Also that was my first use of Simcoe. Also, now that I think of it, a little crystal would have been a nice idea to round out the bill and add a minimal sense of sweetness.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:49 AM

Could be the citra, I do not get grapefruit but more tropical fruit but everyone tasted a bit different.  The version I was going to brew was just Amarillo, Simcoe and Centennial. 

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:51 AM

I need to find one of yours that incorporates a bit of Simcoe. I want to get a better sense of it. If I recall someone said do not bitter with it but use it on the back end only???

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:05 AM

I need to find one of yours that incorporates a bit of Simcoe. I want to get a better sense of it. If I recall someone said do not bitter with it but use it on the back end only???

I have an all simcoe beer that I brew and it has been well received.  It is a take, clone, whatever of Row 2 Hill 56 from Russian River.

Not sure why the format is messed up.  If you decide you want to see the recipe let me know and I can post or PM a better version.

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:31 AM

Yes, that's the one. Thanks man.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:41 AM

I was just talking this weekend that I need to brew that soon.  I have about 3# of Simcoe leafs that I should start to use.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:46 AM

That Simcoe Pale of Drez's is a very good recipe. I brewed it and a group of us really enjoyed it and went through it very quickly. IIRC that beer didn't last longer than 2 or 3 wks in the keg, which is ideal. I have always gotten grapefruit from simcoe, grapefruity citrus and pine with little bit of lemony. 

Anyhow, thanks for the updates on the recipes. Really thinking about that hop hands beer and I would make it straight up the way the most recent update has it listed with simcoe, amarillo, and centennial. Sub Rahr Pale Ale malt for the CMC Superior Pale Ale malt he has listed.

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:27 AM

You know, perhaps the Simcoe gave the grapefruit burst. Having never used it prior I can't rule that out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users