#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

I'm sipping on a Victoy Helles. World class. Best version I have ever tasted.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

Hmm, is Victory available in my neighborhood? I'll have to check it out.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hmm, is Victory available in my neighborhood? I'll have to check it out.

Binny's always has Victory when I am there.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:10 PM

I happened to be out and just stopped at my local Binnys. Only the Pils and the Pale Ale from Victory. In fact, the "beer guy" hadn't even heard of Victory Helles. He looked it up and said, "Oh, it's new!" and assured me that they would have it eventually. Of course I picked up some German Helles (Schlenkerla) while I was there! :PDoob: It does sound nice. Many American-made helles attempts either finish sweet or they hop the bejesus out of it with Cluster or something. Thanks for the heads-up.

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:42 PM

Ken- have you had Schlenkerla Helles? I wouldn't call it traditional as far as Helles go. If you haven't had it, your in for a treat or possibly a trick!

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:44 PM

Ken- have you had Schlenkerla Helles? I wouldn't call it traditional as far as Helles go. If you haven't had it, your in for a treat or possibly a trick!

In this FB group I'm in (German Brewing), they're all about this brewery and a couple of the guys posted pics of this particular beer (the helles) and said, "BEST LAGER EVER MADE!" or something like that. No, I have never had one. I bought three of those big 16-oz bottles of it and they're in the fridge now. Care to describe it to me? Why is it not a traditional helles?

#7 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:56 PM

Famous smoked beer brewery. Helles is the only beer without smoked malt. They do repitch the yeast from smoked beers into the Helles so it does have a destinctive smokey/bandaid flavor.I enjoy all of their beers except the Weizen. Bandaid/banana is not my thing.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:35 PM

Love their Helles.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:51 PM

I just read on BA that the beer has a hint of smoke, cracker, weeds and meat. Huh. I will try it and see.

#10 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

Love their Helles.

Love the Maerzen.

#11 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:38 AM

I think the Andechs Helles is one that Ken would love, that's available in the US. I haven't had a chance to try the Victory Helles, but I look forward to it. Victory used to be a really common brand around here, probably in every packie that sold more than BMC, but I don't see it much anymore.

#12 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:21 AM

They do really good work with their lagers. Their prima pils is a go to for me. It's kind of on the hoppy side for the style but it's an excellent beer. Their Oktoberfest too. This one is another great addition to their line.Ken, hopefully it comes in soon! It's going to be perfect in the warm weather. Just wish it came in cans

#13 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

Ken- what's the verdict?

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:30 AM

Ken- what's the verdict?

Did not have one last night. I started around 6pm with one of my Czech Pilsners and stuck with that. I am brewing tonight so I'll probably try the Schlenkerla while I'm brewing.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:01 PM

I stopped into my bottle shop again and no Victory Helles, unfortunately. But yesterday while I was waiting for everyone else to get ready to go to a grad party, I opened up a bottle of the Schlenkerla Helles and it's outstanding. I expected smoke, meat, weeds, etc. I could detect a very faint smoke character but not much. Delicious.

#16 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

Cool. Glad you liked it. Now drink their Marzen. It's phenomenal.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

Cool. Glad you liked it. Now drink their Marzen. It's phenomenal.

Challenge accepted. :D

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:53 AM

I think the Andechs Helles is one that Ken would love, that's available in the US. I haven't had a chance to try the Victory Helles, but I look forward to it. Victory used to be a really common brand around here, probably in every packie that sold more than BMC, but I don't see it much anymore.

all I've ever had by them is hop devil which I never really enjoyed.  people would give it to me b/c it was "extreme" and they figured I'd love it as a beer guy.  it was way out of balance.  I'd love to try some of their german styles.

#19 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:16 PM

The von Trapp brewery (yes, those von Trapps), in Vermont, have just started selling their beer down here. I've only had the Vienna Lager, so far, but I've been told that their Helles is excellent.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

The von Trapp brewery (yes, those von Trapps), in Vermont, have just started selling their beer down here. I've only had the Vienna Lager, so far, but I've been told that their Helles is excellent.

The Dunkel was very good too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users