3 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

First off, I had no intention of brewing today.  But it was a kind of lazy day and my wife and daughter have been in Galena all weekend and I thought, what the hell.  Plus, the reading material on my... ahem... morning sit down just happened to be the latest issue of BEER CONNOISSEUR and all that beer talk plus the pics of yummy-looking beers got my wheels turning.  So I know I have posted dozens of recipes like this over the years but this is what I made today.  A gold lager that is hopped more than a helles but less than a pilsner.  If it hasn't been used in brewing circles already, I'm coining a phrase right here and now... hellesner.  :D

Hellesner

8.25 lbs Avangard German Pils (90%)
8 ounces of Best Malz Light Munich... the 6L stuff (5%)
4 ounces CaraHell (2.5%)
4 ounces CaraFoam (2.5%)
1 ounce of a mix of Hallertau & Spalt as a FWH (about 8 IBU)
1½ ounces of Spalt 2.7% for 60 mins (4.1 AAU, about 17 IBU)
1 ounce Hallertau 3.2% for 5 minutes (about 3 IBU)
Wyeast 2002 Gambrinus Lager Yeast

OG: 1.052, FG: 1.012, IBU: 28, SRM: 4, ABV: 5.0%

All filtered tap water with 3.3g of CaCl added to the mash. Single Infusion mash at 150.2° for 60 mins. Mash pH was 5.24. Kettle pH was 5.3. Calcium was 65ppm, chloride was 74, sulfate was 27. Cheers peeps.

#2 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:11 PM

Looks good Ken. Is that Spalt Select or just Spalt? Liking what 2002 has to offer in my Vienna so far although it is very green--just carbed.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:21 PM

Randy, my pack of Spalt is labeled "Spalter Select 2.7%" from Farmhouse Supply. It smelled really nice during the brewday. Yeah, I'm drinking the first beer I made with 2002 tonight and it's excellent, no question. Cheers friend.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:28 AM

had you already made a starter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users