#21 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

I have one on my medical grade tank. Probably not needed but it's a nice separation point. The tubing from the filter to the stone gets cleaned and sanitized. The tubing from the regulator to the filter never comes off.

I found out really quick that if you get any moisture up inside that O2 hose you HAVE to clean it really well and blow it out with CO2. Within 3 days of using my tank for the first time there was black gunk just absolutely loving the higher O2 environment. I'm sure some of gas is trapped in the moisture and creates a feast for fungi.

#22 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:36 AM

So those of you with medical oxygen tanks, how do you get them filled?

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:23 AM

I found out really quick that if you get any moisture up inside that O2 hose you HAVE to clean it really well and blow it out with CO2. Within 3 days of using my tank for the first time there was black gunk just absolutely loving the higher O2 environment. I'm sure some of gas is trapped in the moisture and creates a feast for fungi.

I don't leave anything hooked up to the O2.  Every time I use it I put the regulator on and then I have a fitting with a hose barb with a hose on it that I screw into the regulator.  I then put the O2 stone on the end of the hose.  when I'm done I take it all apart and everything gets rinsed and dried (not the regulator and the O2 tank of course).

#24 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

I don't leave anything hooked up to the O2.  Every time I use it I put the regulator on and then I have a fitting with a hose barb with a hose on it that I screw into the regulator.  I then put the O2 stone on the end of the hose.  when I'm done I take it all apart and everything gets rinsed and dried (not the regulator and the O2 tank of course).

I had taken the hose off, but I didn't know it got liquid in it. So it sat on the table for a few days and grew stuff in it.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

I had taken the hose off, but I didn't know it got liquid in it. So it sat on the table for a few days and grew stuff in it.

do you rinse it after you break it down?  my tubing goes right into the wort so I have to rinse it.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 11 June 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

do you rinse it after you break it down?  my tubing goes right into the wort so I have to rinse it.

Same. Rinsed and star san before racking to dry.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

one of the reasons I just want to build an inline oxygenator.  One less thing to worry about cleaning and sanitizing.  Oh and it lets me build something too.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:07 AM

one of the reasons I just want to build an inline oxygenator.  One less thing to worry about cleaning and sanitizing.  Oh and it lets me build something too.

:lol:

wouldn't you then have to clean the inline oxygenator though?  Maybe I don't know how they work.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 11 June 2015 - 11:08 AM.

#29 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

It's attached to a O2 stone unit so it shouldn't have any wort in it, but if I forget to turn it on right away then wort will penetrate the stone and go into the hose until the pressure builds enough to stop it.

I break everything down as much as possible when I clean. The first time I used the O2 unit though I didn't notice what happened and ended up throwing out the hose because of the science experiment. Not even BLC would get that crap out for some reason.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

:lol:

wouldn't you then have to clean the inline oxygenator though?  Maybe I don't know how they work.

I would only need to worry about the stone and nothing else

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:44 AM

I would only need to worry about the stone and nothing else

yeah - I've thought about getting one of those SS wands with the stone on the end.  it would mean only SS touching wort which I like in terms of sanitation.  I should probably just buy one.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:45 AM

yeah - I've thought about getting one of those SS wands with the stone on the end.  it would mean only SS touching wort which I like in terms of sanitation.  I should probably just buy one.

That is what I have now.

#33 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

I probably don't get gunk in there due to always having the filter attached.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:36 PM

That is what I have now.

is it a PITA to clean or something?

#35 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:08 PM

That's not a medical tank.

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:14 PM

Speaking of diving, I called a few places to see where I could get it filled. The place I get my co2 filled said they fill diving tanks but they wouldn't fill this. Not sure what the difference is, oh well.

that makes me wonder if he just called and said medical tank.  once they saw it they'd probably be willing to fill it.  it appears to have the same connection as my non-medical O2 tank which the welding supply place did not hesitate to fill for me.

#37 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

It definitely is.

#38 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:44 PM

It definitely is.

Doesn't look like any medical tank I've ever used in the past 20 years. Specifically the valve. The reg looks like a converted medical type to fit a standard valve/thread. I forget the name of that style.

Edited by BlKtRe, 12 June 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:57 AM

Doesn't look like any medical tank I've ever used in the past 20 years. Specifically the valve. The reg looks like a converted medical type to fit a standard valve/thread. I forget the name of that style.

agreed on what it looks like.  I don't have much experience with medical tanks though.

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

Just going by my Google search but I guess it is similar to the M60? I always thought of medical tanks as having a pin type valve. https://www.cramerde...p?category_id=2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users