#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:46 PM

90 minute addition?

90 minute boil so a 90 minute bittering addition.

#22 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:18 PM

90 minute boil so a 90 minute bittering addition.

huh, not sure where I got the info, but I've read several times over the years that you should keep the bittering charge to 60-75 minutes, no matter how long the boil goes over that

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:15 AM

huh, not sure where I got the info, but I've read several times over the years that you should keep the bittering charge to 60-75 minutes, no matter how long the boil goes over that

I've never heard that.  If I'm boiling for 90 I try to take advantage of the IBUs I get from slightly less hops.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:43 AM

I have not heard that.  The ibu contribution is minimal over a 60 minute but for me it is easier.  I can get to a boil, add the hops in and then set the controller to 70% and go on my business for 45 minutes most of the time.  Although, even though I do them, I am not sure a 90 minute boil is needed, but that is a topic for another thread.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:52 AM

overchilled before adding my hop stand hops!  caught it at 130F, put the hops in and then warmed it back up to 160F.  propane use be damned!

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:02 AM

I have not heard that.  The ibu contribution is minimal over a 60 minute but for me it is easier.  I can get to a boil, add the hops in and then set the controller to 70% and go on my business for 45 minutes most of the time.  Although, even though I do them, I am not sure a 90 minute boil is needed, but that is a topic for another thread.

I certainly understand the easier argument! for years I was FWHing without knowing it, as I always tossed my bittering charge in the kettle so I wouldn't forget it :D

overchilled before adding my hop stand hops!  caught it at 130F, put the hops in and then warmed it back up to 160F.  propane use be damned!

ack!  too easy to do up here in the north, isn't it? 

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:03 AM

I certainly understand the easier argument! for years I was FWHing without knowing it, as I always tossed my bittering charge in the kettle so I wouldn't forget it :D

ack!  too easy to do up here in the north, isn't it? 

yeup.  although that last 15F drop is still a little too slow for my liking.

#28 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

yeup.  although that last 15F drop is still a little too slow for my liking.

stir, baby, stir

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:24 AM

hydro sample tasted really great and hoppy so I guess my hop stand f up didn't hurt me.  finished at 1.009.  everything is looking good.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:42 AM

hydro sample tasted really great and hoppy so I guess my hop stand f up didn't hurt me.  finished at 1.009.  everything is looking good.

Chils posted once about a IPL (I think it was an IPL) that he did a hopstand on at a lower temp and reported a huge nose on the beer.  I have wanted to test it out on one of my beers but like a lot of test I just have not got to it.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:43 AM

Chils posted once about a IPL (I think it was an IPL) that he did a hopstand on at a lower temp and reported a huge nose on the beer.  I have wanted to test it out on one of my beers but like a lot of test I just have not got to it.

any idea what temp?

note:  my hops went in at 130F and then I warmed it up to about 160F and then waited another 10-15 minutes before cooling.  total contact time was probably an hour or so when all was said and done.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 26 June 2015 - 05:54 AM.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:54 AM

any idea what temp?

https://www.brews-br...gain/?p=1905929

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:03 AM

I wonder how long he left it in there.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:37 AM

so the cooling process made me lose some of the awesome hop aroma that came from the low temp hop stand.  the beer still has great aroma for sure but it was something truly magical prior to what I would consider a pretty gentle cold crash prior to kegging.  the beer was in dry hopped again between then and now.  I'm currently drinking from a 2L that has had one dry hop.  the keg I'll be drinking from soon will have two dry hops in total.

The oatmeal actually didn't add as much body as I had hoped.  It helped but it's only a minor change from the default recipe despite putting a little over 2.5 pounds in.  The hop schedule is only slightly different and it seems that way as well - the hop aroma and flavor is pretty similar at this point.  The bitterness is slightly smoother due to using columbus/nugget instead of chinook.

Overall it's only slightly different than the drez chinook/citra/simcoe pale ale so far.  We'll see how the 2nd dry hop changes things :cheers:

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:34 AM

so the cooling process made me lose some of the awesome hop aroma that came from the low temp hop stand.  the beer still has great aroma for sure but it was something truly magical prior to what I would consider a pretty gentle cold crash prior to kegging.  the beer was in dry hopped again between then and now.  I'm currently drinking from a 2L that has had one dry hop.  the keg I'll be drinking from soon will have two dry hops in total.

The oatmeal actually didn't add as much body as I had hoped.  It helped but it's only a minor change from the default recipe despite putting a little over 2.5 pounds in.  The hop schedule is only slightly different and it seems that way as well - the hop aroma and flavor is pretty similar at this point.  The bitterness is slightly smoother due to using columbus/nugget instead of chinook.

Overall it's only slightly different than the drez chinook/citra/simcoe pale ale so far.  We'll see how the 2nd dry hop changes things :cheers:

I have been noticing that on the beers I added Oats to.  I know Denny has said in the past that oats did not add much to mouth feel and after trying it in a few beers I am starting to believe him.  Call me a slow learner.

#36 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

Important rule I've learned over the years:  Never doubt Denny.

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

Important rule I've learned over the years:  Never doubt Denny.

well .. I still cannot give support to 1450 though :)

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

I would like to add though - after a few days the single dry hopped beer I have in the 2L is really nice.  it was a little grassy at first but is now crisp and hoppy with minimal grassy flavors.  I think this is typical immediately following the dry hop though.  I had the hops in there for 8 days (the last few at colder temps to help them drop out which they did).

#39 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:50 AM

well .. I still cannot give support to 1450 though :)

Well, there's no accounting for taste.  :)

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:00 PM

oh yeah - if I ever had some 1450 around I'll be trying it in a recipe like this.  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users