Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:13 AM

What meter do you have?

Milwaukee

The problem was that I had my hands full and I was fumbling things. Then I forgot to put the damn solution back on the probe. I was just annoyed. 

#22 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:49 PM

It's not going to rain tomorrow so i am Making an Amarillo Ale. Using 1/2 light Munich base malt/ 2 row. And some Wheat malt.

#23 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:43 AM

Off work today cuz I worked the weekend and just finishing up my first ale in ~2years. EIPA in the recipe section.Ale yeast, how does it work?

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53864 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

Ale yeast, how does it work?

Ha! Noob. You have to boil the ale yeast... do you even ale, bro? :P

#25 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:10 AM

Ha! Noob. You have to boil the ale yeast... do you even ale, bro? :P

Ale yeast and magnets. I have no idea. Scientists lyin' and shiz...

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53864 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:13 AM

Ale yeast and magnets. I have no idea. Scientists lyin' and shiz...

For awhile there, I considered going all-lager-all-the-time. I was getting much more excitement out of making, handling and eventually drinking lagers than I was with ales. Ales had a sort of "second-class beer" status around here for awhile. But eventually I realized that I still love a good pale ale, red ale, amber, blonde, ESB, etc. and I reconsidered. I'm sure your EIPA will be awesome like the rest of your beers.

#27 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:18 AM

For awhile there, I considered going all-lager-all-the-time. I was getting much more excitement out of making, handling and eventually drinking lagers than I was with ales. Ales had a sort of "second-class beer" status around here for awhile. But eventually I realized that I still love a good pale ale, red ale, amber, blonde, ESB, etc. and I reconsidered. I'm sure your EIPA will be awesome like the rest of your beers.

I have a history of screwing up British ales. One memorable one was my LHBS selling me some Munton's Mild Ale malt that was waaaaay stale. I continued to see that stale partial sack there for 4 more years.I use lager yeast as clean ale yeast when I brew hoppy styles so I haven't completely cut ales out---sorta. :) Not a fan of Belgians although I will occasionally get, and enjoy a Stone Belgian IPA. Just don't want 5gals of it around.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53864 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:25 AM

I have a history of screwing up British ales. One memorable one was my LHBS selling me some Munton's Mild Ale malt that was waaaaay stale. I continued to see that stale partial sack there for 4 more years.I use lager yeast as clean ale yeast when I brew hoppy styles so I haven't completely cut ales out---sorta. :) Not a fan of Belgians although I will occasionally get, and enjoy a Stone Belgian IPA. Just don't want 5gals of it around.

Yep, agreed. My ale yeasts are neutral (some would say boring). 1056, WLP001, 1028, 1099, 1968, etc. I tried to branch out and use San Diego Superyeast, The Rogue Pacman and a few others and did not care for them. You know what would be a fun exbeeriment? Make a pilsner with pilsner malt and whatever other grains, use noble hops and soft water and then ferment it cool with something like WLP001 and see if any lager-snobs you know could tell the difference. I'll tell you, this British Summer Ale I made with 1099 Whitbread could easily pass for a lager, believe it or not. And the hops were US Goldings! :D

#29 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:43 AM

I psyched about this lager. I've only ever made one other and it turned into crap. The hybrids (alt and kolsch) use similar technique as lagers so I'm fairly confident that it will be good. I did go traditional and used Gr. Hallertau Mittelfruh as the flavor/aroma addition rather than opal. 

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53864 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:00 AM

I psyched about this lager. I've only ever made one other and it turned into crap. The hybrids (alt and kolsch) use similar technique as lagers so I'm fairly confident that it will be good. I did go traditional and used Gr. Hallertau Mittelfruh as the flavor/aroma addition rather than opal.

I think the only difference would be wanting to pitch into 45-50° wort and the possibility of some sulphur at or near the end of primary which you may (or may not?) see on the alt and kolsch. Otherwise, I can't see how you wouldn't be ready to rock with a lager. I probably need to make a kolsch at some point too. I really like a well-made kolsch and the two versions I made last year were quite tasty. Cheers Lagerman!

#31 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:35 AM

I think the only difference would be wanting to pitch into 45-50° wort and the possibility of some sulphur at or near the end of primary which you may (or may not?) see on the alt and kolsch. Otherwise, I can't see how you wouldn't be ready to rock with a lager. I probably need to make a kolsch at some point too. I really like a well-made kolsch and the two versions I made last year were quite tasty. Cheers Lagerman!

I pitched at 50. Rocked the shit out of the dual chillers with 80 lb of ice and water.

#32 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:36 PM

Pils is doing well. I'm following the fast ferment method.

#33 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:40 PM

Pils is doing well. I'm following the fast ferment method.

the McDole metod? I liked it on the 3 lagers I did last year, hell, I did a steam beer @65F using 2124, very clean

#34 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:20 AM

the McDole metod? I liked it on the 3 lagers I did last year, hell, I did a steam beer @65F using 2124, very clean

I've been doing a modified version of it for the last year for kolsch and alt. This is the first time using it on a lager and also following it exactly. 

#35 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:00 PM

Alt and Kolsch is down to crashing temps. Gonna add some gelatin tomorrow night. Kegging this weekend. Pilsner is on it's clean-up rest. We'll start ramping that down to 35 on Thursday morning. Should be ready for gelatin by Sunday morning, should keg it just in time for sampling on the 4th. That would be 20.5 days from brew to glass. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users