positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:55 AM

https://www.seacoast.../NEWS/409020317

I'm really looking forward to trying this place out.  The brewer consultant sounds like he really knows his stuff.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 22 June 2015 - 04:00 AM.

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:18 AM

Cool to see they brought in Horst Dornbusch. That adds more legitimacy to the project. Buying a defunct trademark and having it contract brewed doesn't exactly translate into experience running a real brewery.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:39 AM

Cool to see they brought in Horst Dornbusch. That adds more legitimacy to the project. Buying a defunct trademark and having it contract brewed doesn't exactly translate into experience running a real brewery.

what is the "contract brewed" part you are referring to?  they are setting up their own space to brew - it's not like they will be having Sam Adams do the brewing for them or something.

#4 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:02 AM

Not the current brewery, his past experience:Berwanger's experience in the brewing industry includes reviving Chicago's Baderbräu Brewing Company.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:12 AM

That sounds awesome.  I didn't know Dornbusch was a local.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:14 AM

Huh...

With his focus now on New Hampshire, Berwanger said he believes there's a German beer wave coming and he wants to get ahead of it.

I guess they think German beers are gonna be the next big thing. I am going to do quite a bit of German styles of beer, but certainly not exclusively.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:30 AM

I guess they think German beers are gonna be the next big thing. I am going to do quite a bit of German styles of beer, but certainly not exclusively.

I think that craft beer ran in a lot of directions but not that direction. I think it was German beer that many people (not all...) ran FROM, not to. IIPAs, big Belgians, bourbon barrel stuff, etc. Eventually things would come full circle and people would discover dunkel, marzen, Oktoberfest, alt, kolsch, helles and all the other styles again. Sounds good to me!

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:31 AM

Huh...

I found that interesting too.  This is the first I have seen that German beers are the next "it" beer.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

I think when they are fresh and well made they are hard to beat. There's a lot of crappy german-ish style beers out there that completely miss the mark. And to what Ken was saying, those were German beers that were bastardized for production and driven to the lowest common denominator. 

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:00 AM

I think when they are fresh and well made they are hard to beat. There's a lot of crappy german-ish style beers out there that completely miss the mark. And to what Ken was saying, those were German beers that were bastardized for production and driven to the lowest common denominator.

I agree and I think we have had this conversation in the past. Many, many American breweries don't do German beers well. What they end up with is a nice beer, generally speaking but it's not what you really expect and I think they can do better. I think they need to make these beers with a simpler recipe and I think they need to use traditional ingredients and methods. I'm not necessarily saying they need to decoct, etc. but some American breweries could do a better job. It's a test of the brewer in many cases.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

I agree and I think we have had this conversation in the past. Many, many American breweries don't do German beers well. What they end up with is a nice beer, generally speaking but it's not what you really expect and I think they can do better. I think they need to make these beers with a simpler recipe and I think they need to use traditional ingredients and methods. I'm not necessarily saying they need to decoct, etc. but some American breweries could do a better job. It's a test of the brewer in many cases.

I don't think most german breweries do decoctions anymore but I could be wrong.

#12 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

Olde Meck is doing quite well as an up and coming regional brewery in NC. They focus exclusively on brewing german styles and their biergarden is huge!

The customer base is without a doubt the "30 and over" crowd and family friendly environment. The Copper and Capt Jack Pils are my personal favorites.

https://www.bizjourn...-expansion.html

https://www.bizjourn...nd-opening.html

Edited by aquahijo, 22 June 2015 - 10:02 AM.

#13 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

Olde Meck is doing quite well as an up and coming regional brewery in NC. They focus exclusively on brewing german styles and their biergarden is huge!The customer base is without a doubt the "30 and over" crowd and family friendly environment. The Copper and Capt Jack Pils are my personal favorites.https://www.bizjourn...-expansion.htmlhttps://www.bizjourn...nd-opening.html

Yeah sweet place and great beers. They are doing it right!Good to see you post, you should pop in more often.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

The customer base is without a doubt the "30 and over" crowd ...

Funny you say this. For my 50th birthday, my wife and I went to a Hofbrauhaus nearby. As we sat there with dunkel and schnitzel and potato salad, I felt old. Well, I am old but I usually don't feel old... but I felt old being there as if this is what old people do. I envisioned my grandparents being at a place like this and feeling right at home. In my brewing, I feel like there is a little slice of GERMAN in almost everything I make.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 22 June 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:27 PM

I can absolutely see German beers being the next development in craft beer, I've been thinking that for a while now.  There are already places focusing heavily there and doing well. (Jack's Abby, around here).  It's been so heavy on the hops and sours for the last few years, I can see people getting burnt out on it, plus some people just don't like those flavors.  German beers are excellent and approachable.

#16 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:37 PM

Lately, it seems like I've seen a lot more lagers and German styles coming out of local breweries and regional stuff in the cooler at the package store.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

Lately, it seems like I've seen a lot more lagers and German styles coming out of local breweries and regional stuff in the cooler at the package store.

One of Cigar City's flagship brands is Hotter than Helles. I can get their beers literally the day after they are packaged. That one needs a little time in the can though to mature. It's a decent beer. Around here though you have to go to Rapp Brewing to get good German beers locally brewed. Rapp goes nuts with it and brews up styles I'd bet most Germans haven't even heard of. I don't want to go that far, but I'm intended on emulating his model.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:31 AM

just a note to Drez, I believe this is the place you parked at when we went to the beer and chili festival.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:34 AM

just a note to Drez, I believe this is the place you parked at when we went to the beer and chili festival.

That is what I thought when I read the article.  Plenty of space there!

I can absolutely see German beers being the next development in craft beer, I've been thinking that for a while now.  There are already places focusing heavily there and doing well. (Jack's Abby, around here).  It's been so heavy on the hops and sours for the last few years, I can see people getting burnt out on it, plus some people just don't like those flavors.  German beers are excellent and approachable.

I agree that JA is doing very well but a lot of their beers are hoppy offerings as well so that to me does not go with the traditional German beers.  Although Smoke and Dagger is one of my favorites.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:41 AM

That is what I thought when I read the article.  Plenty of space there!

indeed.  I like that they are going big right off the bat and I'm hoping it's a sign that they are real contenders.  it would be great to be able to stop in and get some really fresh german beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users