#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:01 AM

I was looking at a clone recipe over the weekend and the brewer suggests a 35 minute mash time.  What are the benefits and/or downside of this?

Thanks all!

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

This topic gets bounced around every once in awhile and sometimes it's from the angle that most mashes are done converting in a shorter time than most brewers believe. I have heard many brewers say that an hour is much longer than necessary. If there was a benefit or some sort of side-effect of it, I'm not sure what it would be. If the mash wasn't completely done yet, what impact would that have on the glass of beer? I'm not sure. There is a brewery in my area (Two Brothers) who make a Belgian-style beer that supposedly has a 15-minute mash time. Weird, wild stuff.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

I was looking at a clone recipe over the weekend and the brewer suggests a 35 minute mash time.  What are the benefits and/or downside of this?

Thanks all!

benefit: shorter mash time

downside:  possibly not full conversion, maybe less fermentable wort

#4 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

This topic gets bounced around every once in awhile and sometimes it's from the angle that most mashes are done converting in a shorter time than most brewers believe. I have heard many brewers say that an hour is much longer than necessary. If there was a benefit or some sort of side-effect of it, I'm not sure what it would be. If the mash wasn't completely done yet, what impact would that have on the glass of beer? I'm not sure. There is a brewery in my area (Two Brothers) who make a Belgian-style beer that supposedly has a 15-minute mash time. Weird, wild stuff.

Do the bigger systems they brew on have anything to do with a quicker mash schedule?

I could always do a conversion test I guess but that sounds like too much work!

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

Do the bigger systems they brew on have anything to do with a quicker mash schedule?

I could always do a conversion test I guess but that sounds like too much work!

Yes, you've got it.  But's not really a quicker mash schedule.  For instance the brewery I work for does a 15 min. mash rest.  But, if you count mash in and lautering, they're at mash temp for nearly 2 hours!  That's what homebrewers miss and commercial brewers don't mention when this topic comes up.  BBR did a test and IIRC they found that shorter mash times made less preferable beer.

#6 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:04 AM

I believe the commercial systems take longer to fill/drain, so by the time all the hot liquor is infused its been 30 min or so, then lautering also takes time.  So, with the fully modified malts used now, conversion isn't a problem.  If you check your homebrew mash I bet its done in 30-40 min.  I usually have enough other things to do I don't rush it, though.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:06 AM

Yes, you've got it.  But's not really a quicker mash schedule.  For instance the brewery I work for does a 15 min. mash rest.  But, if you count mash in and lautering, they're at mash temp for nearly 2 hours!  That's what homebrewers miss and commercial brewers don't mention when this topic comes up.  BBR did a test and IIRC they found that shorter mash times made less preferable beer.

yeah - I'd say they are not correctly reporting the length of time that enzymes have to work.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

yeah - I'd say they are not correctly reporting the length of time that enzymes have to work.

I think they're accurately reporting their mash rest times, but homebrewers forget that they don't work the way that commercial breweries do.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:05 AM

I think they're accurately reporting their mash rest times, but homebrewers forget that they don't work the way that commercial breweries do.

This.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:02 PM

Brew strong recently had a great 2-part series on mash dynamics. Mash times and rests were covered in depth. It was very informative and worth a listen.

#11 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:45 PM

https://www.thebrewi....com/shows/1212

https://www.thebrewi....com/shows/1213

#12 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:51 AM

I think I'll stick with what I know about my system and that's a 60-minute rest.  I'm usually around 75-80% efficiency sticking with that mash time. 

Maybe I'm crazy but sometimes I feel like I can tell just by looking at my mash that's it's converted all the way.  After about 45-50 mins, it begins to recirculate crystal clear.  It's a gorgeous sight to watch wort flow gently over a compacted grain bed!

To Denny's point and having worked in a commercial brewery myself, I know the mash schedule is a "busier" one than the homebrew version.  And by "busier", I mean sometimes more steps at different temps, etc. 

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:22 AM

I think I'll stick with what I know about my system and that's a 60-minute rest.  I'm usually around 75-80% efficiency sticking with that mash time.  Maybe I'm crazy but sometimes I feel like I can tell just by looking at my mash that's it's converted all the way.  After about 45-50 mins, it begins to recirculate crystal clear.  It's a gorgeous sight to watch wort flow gently over a compacted grain bed! To Denny's point and having worked in a commercial brewery myself, I know the mash schedule is a "busier" one than the homebrew version.  And by "busier", I mean sometimes more steps at different temps, etc.

Chad: Good idea to keep your system in mind. You know what your system does and all systems vary and I'm a big believer in following that. I have written off that 60-minute mash time anyway... I use it to clean and sanitize things, measure out hops, etc. Cheers Buddy.

#14 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:25 AM

Yeah, mash time is only relevant to the brewery, no where else. If you generally do a 60 minute mash, then do that and don't worry about what the pro brewery does. Unless it's calling for a special lower modified malt or some other special ingredient that needs step mashing or a special temperature to properly convert then just do your normal routine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users