31 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:41 AM

absolutely.  different people like different aspects of hops.  have you ever tried REALLY cold like 40F?

I have done it in the keg at serving temps of 42.  That was a long time ago and I had some grassy-ness but that may be more of a hop quality issue than anything else.  I may be doing a citra IPA soon and if I do 10g I would DH the second at serving temps so I may be able to revisit this topic.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:48 AM

also, Ken, did you check out the trub experiment on that website?  more trub in the primary = clearer beer!!!!  did your head just explode?

I didn't see that but I have heard it. When I send fresh wort to the primary I get very clear wort up until the last gallon or so and even though the wort is being racked through a sanitized strainer, I still get some amount of hop and break material in the primary. I have no real way to avoid it so maybe THAT's why I get decently clear beer.

#23 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:56 AM

I didn't see that but I have heard it. When I send fresh wort to the primary I get very clear wort up until the last gallon or so and even though the wort is being racked through a sanitized strainer, I still get some amount of hop and break material in the primary. I have no real way to avoid it so maybe THAT's why I get decently clear beer.

yep. same here. last .5 to full gallon out of 5.5 has some trub depending on gravity.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:10 AM

yep. same here. last .5 to full gallon out of 5.5 has some trub depending on gravity.

I have heard a number of people say that they just don't care about it and they assume that it will settle out eventually anyway. One reason I like to keep it to a minimum is to keep the yeast as clean as possible so that you can get a better feel for how much yeast is actually in harvested slurry. My harvested yeast is usually a very pale greenish-beige. Chils uses his technique to remove (rack off...) the trub which keeps his yeast quite clean-looking but I wonder if even though he's removing it... does he get the benefit of it since the trub was present for some amount of the time? His beers are as clear as anyone's.

#25 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:56 AM

I have heard a number of people say that they just don't care about it and they assume that it will settle out eventually anyway. One reason I like to keep it to a minimum is to keep the yeast as clean as possible so that you can get a better feel for how much yeast is actually in harvested slurry. My harvested yeast is usually a very pale greenish-beige. Chils uses his technique to remove (rack off...) the trub which keeps his yeast quite clean-looking but I wonder if even though he's removing it... does he get the benefit of it since the trub was present for some amount of the time? His beers are as clear as anyone's.

Yeah Im not sure but I will attest to his beer clarity, thats for sure.

#26 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:56 AM

The more trub = more/sooner clarity thing has been shown a number of times. This is one experiment that I have done. ~3.5 gallons of clear wort vs. ~1.5 gallon with ALL the trub and hops. This was a Lager, and the beers were virtually indistinguishable. There might have been a little more hop flavor in the +trub beer, but it was subtle at best. By the time it hit the tap at ~4 weeks, they were both clear.

Edited by Brauer, 26 June 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

The more trub = more/sooner clarity thing has been shown a number of times. This is one experiment that I have done. ~3.5 gallons of clear wort vs. ~1.5 gallon with ALL the trub and hops. This was a Lager, and the beers were virtually indistinguishable. There might have been a little more hop flavor in the +trub beer, but it was subtle at best. By the time it hit the tap at ~4 weeks, they were both clear.

Interesting. Good stuff.

#28 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

Hey, my spoof thread really took off!  :)

The brulosophy blog is cool, I've read quite a bit of it.  I think he could use some better, more rigorous methodology, but it's still great.  They put so much work into it, I'd love to see the studies be more air tight.

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:11 PM

Hey, my spoof thread really took off!  :)

The brulosophy blog is cool, I've read quite a bit of it.  I think he could use some better, more rigorous methodology, but it's still great.  They put so much work into it, I'd love to see the studies be more air tight.

agreed.

#30 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:13 PM

This was verified many years ago by homebrewer Joakim Rudd on the Brews and Views website.

#31 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

So, the obvious next step is to sterile can the EXACT right amount of trub and add it to the fermenter after racking crystal clear wort over.  Pre-canned trub!  The next big thing in homebrewing!  ;)

(only kind of joking)

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:43 PM

So, the obvious next step is to sterile can the EXACT right amount of trub and add it to the fermenter after racking crystal clear wort over.  Pre-canned trub!  The next big thing in homebrewing!  ;)

(only kind of joking)

I'm on it. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users