14 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:28 AM

I have some 1056 that probably has one more batch to ferment and then I'm going to retire it. I think I mentioned a beer like this in another post but couldn't find it. In the next week I plan to brew this up. I picked up these hops from Farmhouse Supply and never used them. They're well-packaged so I hope they're ready to play.

RedX Red Ale

9 lbs Best Malz RedX malt
4 ounces Belgian Special B
4 ounces Thomas Fawcett & Sons Dark Crystal #1 (about 85L)
1 oz Mandarina Bavaria pellets 7.2% for 60
1 oz Mandarina Bavaria pellets 7.2% for 10
1 oz Mandarina Bavaria pellets 7.2% into the 175° whirlpool and stand/steep for 20-30 minutes
1 oz Mandarina Bavaria pellets 7.2% dry hop for 5 days
Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

I don't really have OG/FG numbers because my app (tastybrew) doesn't have RedX. I plugged "Munich" into it but the OG shows only 1.047 which I know is not right. This should have a decent, deep red color (maybe SRM 12-13). IBUs come to 43. All filtered tap water, balanced water profile, Ca 60, Cl 48, SO4 53. Mash around 150°. Should be crisp.

Oh, duh... the other thread is HERE and I originally envisioned this as a SMaSH beer.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 27 June 2015 - 07:31 AM.

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

anxious to heare how this hop tastes/smells IRL, I got some as well, and haven't opened them yet

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:32 PM

That sounds very interesting. Mandarina Bavaria is going to be the featured flavor paired with 3724 in my next saison.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:31 PM

When SN released a mixed 12er (pale ale, tumbler, Vienna... I forget what else), the Vienna was made with the Mandarina Bavaria hops. I do not recall one stitch of tangerinee-like flavor as the description suggests. My guess is that I will use more of these hops in my recipe than SN did in theirs. It looks like an early Tuesday morning brewday based on my schedule so I will report back when I drop these babies into the wort and I will try to convey what I am seeing and smelling. But hey, they come from Bavaria so shouldn't my expectations be as high as they can be?? :D

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:27 PM

So based on some other conversations in the beer forum, I'm getting a little concerned about my high percentage of RedX in this beer. I know Andy made an all-RedX beer and I thought there were some others as well. My mash temp is already pretty low for my system (150) and I will have more sulfate in the water than chloride so I'm hoping to keep it kind of crisp. Does anyone think this recipe is going to be overly malty, soft, round, full or out-of-balance in any way? I have my water filtered and I was just going to measure out my grains for a Thursday AM brew session. But... I could always cut the RedX with Pils or Wheat if anyone else envisioned a problem. Thoughts anyone?

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

So based on some other conversations in the beer forum, I'm getting a little concerned about my high percentage of RedX in this beer. I know Andy made an all-RedX beer and I thought there were some others as well. My mash temp is already pretty low for my system (150) and I will have more sulfate in the water than chloride so I'm hoping to keep it kind of crisp. Does anyone think this recipe is going to be overly malty, soft, round, full or out-of-balance in any way? I have my water filtered and I was just going to measure out my grains for a Thursday AM brew session. But... I could always cut the RedX with Pils or Wheat if anyone else envisioned a problem. Thoughts anyone?

Red-X is quite rich and malty IME. I would say Munich is going to be your most similar malt. Seems like Blktre's club did a taste test IIRC and there was little difference between a Red-x beer and the Munich beer. Maybe he will chime in here.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

Okay, well... I measured everything out and it's been milled too. I'm going to do this one exactly as I drew it up and see what happens. I'm going to hope that the sulfate, the mash temp and the hops lean things towards crisp and bright while the RedX balances that with rounded maltiness. I suppose that when I get it to a keg and I find it to be heavy or something, I could always boil up some water, add some sulfate and drop that in the keg as I have done in the past (also with chloride). Hopes are high! Cheers.

#8 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

I love an all Light Munich beer, which this should be similar to, it seems (from what others have said, though, since I haven't used this malt). Yummy malty beer. Like a good Oktoberfest (Some don't like Munich, for some reason, though, but that's just weird :))

Edit: What's the OG? I always keep Munich-rich beers to 12 Plato. I also don't add any Crystal Malt to them (maybe 2 oz to a Czech Dunkel).

Edited by Brauer, 01 July 2015 - 04:00 PM.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

I love an all Light Munich beer, which this should be similar to, it seems (from what others have said, though, since I haven't used this malt). Yummy malty beer. Like a good Oktoberfest (Some don't like Munich, for some reason, though, but that's just weird :))

Edit: What's the OG? I always keep Munich-rich beers to 12 Plato. I also don't add any Crystal Malt to them (maybe 2 oz to a Czech Dunkel).

I used my go-to recipe calculator (tastybrew.com) which (of course) does not have RedX as an option so I punched in "German Munich" which put the OG around 1.047 which I think is low. It will probably end up around 5% which is close enough to your 12 plato beer to be snuggly in the same zip code. I love good German Munich, both light (6-8) and the darker stuff (10-11) and I use them both a lot along with Vienna. I think you're right, it should be a "yummy malty beer". In fact, I might make a tap handle labeled "Yummy Malty Beer". :lol: I will keep everyone updated on both the malt and also how I perceive the hops... which I haven't used before.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

I am brewing this beer right now. It's been a weird work-week including one day I was working until 1am. Today my customers are leaving me alone, which is nice. So my mash water is heating and I just measured out these MB hops. The packaging helped them to hold up very well, it would seem. They smell very fresh and look nice and green. They smell heavenly but I admit that I do not detect any orange-like if that's what I'm supposed to get. Maybe when they hit the hot wort? They smell excellent either way. Even the weather improved... sunny and close to 70° today. Cheers peeps.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

Relatively smooth brewday. I had an issue when I was racking to primary where my strainer was jostled and fell into the primary when it was full of hop schputz. I was not pleased but my guess is that it's fine.

I got some wickedly dark red wort with this grain bill. The hops smelled great and all of the pH numbers fell into place properly. The wort smells very malty but brewday is not a good indicator of how everything will be. Cheers Beerheads.

#12 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:25 AM

Relatively smooth brewday. I had an issue when I was racking to primary where my strainer was jostled and fell into the primary when it was full of hop schputz. I was not pleased but my guess is that it's fine.

I guess it will clear more quickly.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:57 PM

I mentioned in THIS thread that I sent this beer directly from primary to a keg due to low production recently. It carbed from Monday morning until this morning (48 hours @ 25 psi) and I grabbed a sample while I was making dinner tonight. It's a little cloudy as expected and it's a very dark amber/red. Damn, this RedX malt is MALTY! Luckily I mashed lower and kept the water where the beer would be crisp. These Mandarina Bavaria hops are delicious and very clean. If they're supposed to have some sort of citrus or orange thing happening, I'm not getting it. It turned out to be a very deep, malty-but-well-balanced beer. Probably not something I would want in 90° and high humidity but delicious nonetheless.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 29 July 2015 - 03:58 PM.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

Red-X is quite rich and malty IME. 

Damn, this RedX malt is MALTY! 

More seriously how do you like the red-x flavor? Also, paired with those crystals how red is it?

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:38 AM

More seriously how do you like the red-x flavor? Also, paired with those crystals how red is it?

I was drinking it out of a clear, 16oz Solo cup and it was a bit cloudy so the color was tough to gauge. When it clears up, I would like to put it into a taller, thinner glass so I could get a better feel for it. The RedX flavor is pretty aggressive and overwhelming but things balanced out pretty nicely the way I hopped it. I will update once it's on tap and clearer. One thing is for sure... I would use these hops again without question. Very nice character and they held up well in my freezer. I can't remember how long they've been in there but they were very clean and fresh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users