Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:17 AM

Fellas,

I'm going to make a small order and was wondering what hop you like/gravitate to that offers more piney resiny over citrusy.  I have butt loads of Citra, Amarillo and Mosaic.  I need something in my arsenal besides Magnum to bitter with and am leaning toward a pouch of Columbus.  But I'm interested in what you use.

Thanks, Mike

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:31 AM

Yeah probably Columbus for me.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:23 AM

Apollo for me.

#4 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:28 AM

Apollo for me.

I do like Apollo. I just realized he said something to bitter with. But this just made me think, have you ever used Apollo late or dry hop?

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53973 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:56 AM

Do you want piney from bittering or are you looking for piney, period? Simcoe is piney and if you wanted that flavor or aroma in the beer, some late Simcoe is excellent. I just used it in the Session IPA and I get that piney, resiny thing.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:05 AM

I just used Simcoe for the first time in an IPA made Saturday, 1 ounce at flame out.  Another ounce will be DH'd.  Will be interesting to see what you're saying.  I always liked Columbus in the beginning as well as the end...  But now I'm curious about Apollo.  "Resiny" is one of its descriptors.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

For bittering Apollo is my go-to. Columbus has been good as well. Apollo in the dry hop is on my long list of things to try. But if you really want some resiny quality from the bittering use Chinook. It's got a biting bitterness to it. Or bitter with a smaller portion of Chinook and something else to dial it down a bit. Chinook will get you a pleasant pine and citrus when used late or dry.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:15 AM

Added to the list Sir

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53973 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:36 AM

Yeah, Chinook can be quite coarse but if used properly, I think it would fill your "resiny" need. This Session IPA had 4 ounces of Amarillo and 4 more ounces of Simcoe in 5 gallons and I just took it off the gas this morning. I plan to give it a sample test tonight and I fully expect grapefruits and pine trees to come out of my ears.   :lol:

Edited by Village Taphouse, 29 June 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

Sounds delicious.  I'm normally not that heavy IPA guy but lately I've been craving a balanced piney/citrusy APA and/or IPA.  Perhaps it's because I found a hidden Torpedo in the beer fridge yesterday and slammed the poop out of it after cutting the lawn.....  Sparked my taste buds.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53973 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

Sounds delicious.  I'm normally not that heavy IPA guy but lately I've been craving a balanced piney/citrusy APA and/or IPA.  Perhaps it's because I found a hidden Torpedo in the beer fridge yesterday and slammed the poop out of it after cutting the lawn.....  Sparked my taste buds.

The kicker (for me anyway) is that this beer is GOLD and looks to be quite clear. It's very pale which should make it a nice, summer hop-bomb (at least by my standards). I will post a pic if I can.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:47 AM

I do like Apollo. I just realized he said something to bitter with. But this just made me think, have you ever used Apollo late or dry hop?

It is on my list but I have not done it yet.  I have talked to a few locals that used it and I was told to go with a light hand as it gets very dank fast.

#13 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

It is on my list but I have not done it yet. I have talked to a few locals that used it and I was told to go with a light hand as it gets very dank fast.

Good to know. I may try it as I've been putty together an imperial red that I would like nice and dank.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:09 AM

Good to know. I may try it as I've been putty together an imperial red that I would like nice and dank.

I have been wanting to do a dank IPA since most of what I have on tap is on the fruitier side.  I am curious to see what your Imperial Red will look like.

#15 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

I've been on Northern Brewer kicks in the past. 

#16 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:31 AM

I have been wanting to do a dank IPA since most of what I have on tap is on the fruitier side. I am curious to see what your Imperial Red will look like.

I really struggle in the red beer department. I can get a good amber color but not a nice bright red.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53973 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

I really struggle in the red beer department. I can get a good amber color but not a nice bright red.

RedX plus Special B with some dark British crystal or just 2-row with Special B and C120. Coming up this weekend I'm going to attempt the reddest beer I have made. The RedX Red Ale in the recipe forum.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:42 AM

RedX plus Special B with some dark British crystal or just 2-row with Special B and C120. Coming up this weekend I'm going to attempt the reddest beer I have made. The RedX Red Ale in the recipe forum.

I did a RedX wheat beer and I am not sure i would want to use it for what I have in mind with a red IPA.  I found it to be over malty for my tastes.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53973 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

I did a RedX wheat beer and I am not sure i would want to use it for what I have in mind with a red IPA.  I found it to be over malty for my tastes.

Lower mash temp or more sulfate in the water to crisp it up, maybe?

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

As you noticed it is rich and malty so if thats not what is wanted I'd shy away too. 97% red-x and 3% pale chocolate got me a red beer.

Paired with 2-row I think some C80/special B like Ken says should do the trick, maybe in conjunction with an ounce or 2 of roasted barley or midnight wheat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users