24 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:34 AM

I have not done a beer where all the base malt was RedX so am I being optimistic in my RedX Red Ale recipe? Some dunkels are 100% dark munich (of course, I've never done that either) so that's where I was going. I am going to mash relatively low for my system and I could add some additional sulfate so it doesn't come out overly malty and smooth. I'm also hoping that 43 IBUs (4 ounces of 7.2% hops) will help with that too.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

I'm pretty sure someone reported that redX is not like dark munich.  I don't think you'll end up with something overly sweet or anything.

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:23 AM

A fine Gent at Farmhouse suggested using Munich with RedX, in his opinion the Munich helped the malt depth over RedX alone. I took that advice for my RedX Alt which came out super duper, but I have not experimented with 100% RedX.

#24 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

RedX plus Special B with some dark British crystal or just 2-row with Special B and C120. Coming up this weekend I'm going to attempt the reddest beer I have made. The RedX Red Ale in the recipe forum.

Have tried this, was basically amber looking.

As you noticed it is rich and malty so if thats not what is wanted I'd shy away too. 97% red-x and 3% pale chocolate got me a red beer.

Paired with 2-row I think some C80/special B like Ken says should do the trick, maybe in conjunction with an ounce or 2 of roasted barley or midnight wheat.

Have tried this, closer but not as good as the pic you posted of it.

I have tried a lot of combinations over the years. I'm starting to look what I could do to my water to see if that helps. I have a beer on tap right now that is fairly close to what I am looking for, I will try and post a pic.

But I don't want to derail this thread even farther.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:42 PM

Have tried this, was basically amber looking.

I was just looking at some of my specialty grains and as a reference, I see that my Castle Special B shows an L° number of 115-135. I also have some Dingemans which shows 140-155L° and I thought I had some stuff that was higher than that. I mention this because any Special B should get you some RED but I suppose the lower the color, the less of it you'll get. I had the same issue getting a really red beer when I started AG brewing. This RedX Red Ale I'm making tomorrow is an attempt to make an uber-red beer. We'll see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users