Photo
- - - - -

Is my plan crazy, and should I be happy with what I have?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:35 PM

I have been thinking about this a while now, and I just wanted some input.

My current serving setup is a coffin box through the walk-in cooler, and is a bit of a hodge podge of hardware since I have been accumulating over the course of many years. I have 3 shirron ventmatics, 3 perlick 425ss, 7 perlick 525ss, and one perlick 650ss. These are all on stainless shanks with stainless tail pieces, 6 are on standard beerline (3/16x7/16) with 1/4'' ffl barb nuts to connect to the disconnects, and 8 are on 3/16x3/8 with 3/8 john guest fittings on the quick disconnects for those 8. Like a said, hodge podge.

I really like the 650ss faucets. I have one on the walk-in, and then two on direct draw keg setups, and also the growler filler specific to the 650ss.

I want to unify everything. I want to get another 13 perlick 650ss faucets, moving the current faucets to the jockey boxes (the numbers match exactly, 13 for the jockey boxes). Then put 5/8'' BSPP to 3/8" tubing john guest fittings on the shanks (I've already tested these fittings on two of the jockey boxes, and they work well). Then get 1/4'' ID x 3/8" OD Bev Seal Ultra 235 barrier tubing, and convert the remainder of my fittings to John Guest Push to Connect fittings (I already have a LOT converted, but not everything yet).

The reason why I need the flow control faucets first is because the 3/8" OD barrier tubing won't have enough restriction to balance the lines, so I'll need to utilize the flow control functions. 

The other reason is so that all my faucets are the same, and I can then use the growler filler to fill bottlles and growlers with just the single fitting.

Here's the thing, it will take me many years to finish this due to the cost. And honestly, my system works right now. I just cleaned everything out with BLC a month or so ago, and I don't have any problems with my setup.

So, how crazy is it that I want to do this? Should I just be happy with what I have?

Edited by gnef, 30 June 2015 - 10:36 PM.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:19 AM

If it will make you happy do eet!

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:54 AM

You have more taps than most bars.

#4 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

Haha. I'll probably end up doing this, just over the course of many years. I estimate right around $1k to renovate all that I want to, and that is just really hard to justify all at once for a system that currently works well, and has worked well for many years.

What I might do, is actually just fully renovate a few taps (faucet, shank john guest fitting, and barrier tubing), and see how well they perform. What I really dislike with my current system, and part of the impetus is that I throw away about 2 oz of beer each time I want to pour from one of my faucets due to plastic taint. The only tubing that doesn't impart a plastic flavor is the barrier tubing, which due to the size I would be using would require the flow control faucets. (plus, I really like the flow control faucets)

So now that I have thought about it a bit more, I will see if I can save enough to get another 2-3 faucets to install on the walk-in, get the necessary fittings and some of the tubing, and then see how those faucets work, and whether I still have to pour out the first 2 oz. If it tastes fine, but is just warm, I might install a version of the tower cooling fan into the coffin box, and then continue with the renovation.

If I still have to throw away the first two ounces of the pour for any reason on the test, I may just stop at that point, or just replace the faucets and be done with it.

#5 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:41 PM

Well, I got one piece, the tubing now. We have a brewclub member that has a foxx equipment account through his workplace, and he was able to order the 1/4x3/8 bev seal ultra barrier tubing for me. We ordered 100 ft, but I think they actually gave me over 160 ft of the line, woohoo! 

I am trying to sell some kegs locally through craigslist (no one in the club seemed to be interested), but I'm not getting any emails back after the initial message sent to me. Once I get some kegs sold, I'll get more 650ss faucets and shank john guest fittings, and I should be good to start on the replacements.

Once I open the coffin box, this will also help me to figure out if I will need elbow adapters for the shanks at the very end of the coffin box by test fitting the tubing to see if the bend radius is acceptable. This stuff is pretty stiff!

#6 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

I really like that barrier tubing. It doesn't flex very well but is easier to keep clean. I got mine from Farmhouse.

#7 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

Yea, I am looking forward to doing some testing with it. I need to get more of the 650ss faucets though, so that I don't have to worry about balancing the draft line to the pressure for the pour since I'm using the 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD tubing.

I am also thinking of transitioning to braided tubing for my gas lines, but I know that I don't need that kind of pressure rating.

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

How much beer do you serve in a given week? Month?

#9 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

Minimal I would say, average of 5-8 pints per week. I just really like my gadgets, and these 650ss faucets are great so far.

I plan on doing this in stages though, and testing everything out.

I just change out the line for the one 650ss faucet I have. Quick testing last night resulted in a very foamy pour, but it was past midnight, and I had just installed the line, so I don't know if the tubing hadn't cooled down yet, etc. The tubing is also a lot more rigid and unweildly in the walk-in. I put just 8 ft of the line on the shank, but even that seems a bit too unwieldly. I may experiment with line length to see if I can find a good compromise between how unweidly it is and getting some restriction in the line. I'm still hopeful though!

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

You have 14 taps to serve 1 pint a day! Crikey!

I mean, i get liking gadgets, but that is impressive overkill. Do you actually keep beer on all 14 taps?

#11 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

I say spend money on whatever makes you happy. 

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:53 PM

I say spend money on whatever makes you happy.

Well, sure, unless it's child pr0n.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

:crazy:

#14 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

I'm actually surprised how much you like the 630 faucets. I have one but it drips a lot. I wish I could get 2 more 425's to go with the 2 I got, but there hard to find in brass.

Edited by matt6150, 14 July 2015 - 05:01 PM.

#15 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:06 PM

I actually don't have any of the 630ss, I do have the 525ss, which have worked great for me, but I know of many on here that have had leaking issues. The only 'new' faucet I have is the 650ss, which is the stainless flow control.

And yes, I do keep all the taps flowing with something, not all beer though. I keep one devoted to soda (it is actually a redbull cloan right now for after the first baby was born), and one devoted to cider, plus two taps have meads on them. Everything else is beer. I still have over 70 kegs filled with something in the walk-in, many are just aging things that I want to age for the long term (meads, ciders, big beers, etc.).

I actually need to brew soon to keep enough low alcohol stuff on tap. It has gotten dangerous in the past when nearly half of the taps were 10+%.

And yea, I completely understand the overkill part. I really like to have variety, as I don't want to drink the same thing every day, and honestly, I like presenting the setup to friends, and offering them a wide selection to suit their tastes.

#16 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

I actually don't have any of the 630ss, I do have the 525ss, which have worked great for me, but I know of many on here that have had leaking issues. The only 'new' faucet I have is the 650ss, which is the stainless flow control.

Oh my bad I was reading it wrong.

#17 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:56 AM

I'm actually surprised how much you like the 630 faucets. I have one but it drips a lot. I wish I could get 2 more 425's to go with the 2 I got, but there hard to find in brass.

My 525s leaked. I thought the 630's were the fix. 

#18 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

My 525s leaked. I thought the 630's were the fix. 

My 525 leaks as well. The 630 was working great when new but lately I can't get the thing to shut off all the way. It will just drip for a bit, but not all the time.

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

And yea, I completely understand the overkill part. I really like to have variety, as I don't want to drink the same thing every day, and honestly, I like presenting the setup to friends, and offering them a wide selection to suit their tastes.

Me giving you shit about overkill is the definition of throwing stones in glass houses.  :D

I just can't imagine keeping that many beers going at once.  I had 6 taps going for a while and it was a ton of work just to manage that.  I also found that I would end up picking a favorite and just keep going back to that tap.  Some beers would just be on there forever and be neglected and those taps would get all munged up....and the fruit flies!!!  Gah!

What I need is a NEIGHBOR with 14 taps...uhhhh...what's your address?

*checks Trulia*

#20 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:19 AM

Bummer. I switched out my 525 for 630s. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users