24 replies to this topic

#21 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16607 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:56 AM

I don't usually make big Porters, because there's a lot if good ones around. Brown Porters are tough to come by, though, and they go down easy in the Summer, especially when you are just fed up to here^ with yellow beer.

Brown Porter is not a style talked about much here but I have seen you mention as a favorite several times. Sometime, if you don't mind, post up a favorite recipe or some thoughts on what makes a good one and why. I'd be curious to learn more.

#22 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:21 AM

Gents, the concensus is to drink this beer early and I assume it is because the flavor of the beans wanes after time? So, as it is written in Experimental Brewing the base recipe minus the BV part is great by itself.  That said, would the base recipe improve with age?  I really don't intend on aging this beer, I just want to understand why it's best early.

#23 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

Gents, the concensus is to drink this beer early and I assume it is because the flavor of the beans wanes after time? So, as it is written in Experimental Brewing the base recipe minus the BV part is great by itself.  That said, would the base recipe improve with age?  I really don't intend on aging this beer, I just want to understand why it's best early.

It might, but I've never tried it.  You're right that the main reason to drink it early is that the vanilla and bourbon flavors fade.  Fortunately, the porter part doesn't require much aging so it's ready early, too.

#24 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:11 AM

Thanks Denny.  It is on deck as my next batch, awaiting the grains and yeast, looking forward to this.  This is my first stab at a Porter....

#25 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

I think porters are under rated. I drink them year round and  find the low alcohol ones are refreshing in the summer. I mean people drink coffee all summer long so what's the difference?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users