Photo
- - - - -

You will not believe what I'm about to ask...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

Ready? You still have time to turn back and look at other topics. 3. 2. 1....

Who has had a Budweiser lately? What does Budweiser taste like? I'm watching the Cards-Padres game on MLB network and I see commercials plus there are Bud signs everywhere at Busch Stadium. It's probably been over 30 years since I tasted one. I've had a Bud Light in the last year mainly because I have friends who have it at their house and I'm sure I've had a Miller Lite in the last year because if I were to drink a BMC beer, Miller Lite might be one that I would drink. But what does Budweiser taste like with its beechwood aging and all of that? Is it palatable or what? I'm not about to run out and buy any but that name... which means "From Budvar" which suggests that something Czech is going on. I assume that nothing Czech is going on.

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:39 PM

Ready? You still have time to turn back and look at other topics. 3. 2. 1....

Who has had a Budweiser lately? What does Budweiser taste like? I'm watching the Cards-Padres game on MLB network and I see commercials plus there are Bud signs everywhere at Busch Stadium. It's probably been over 30 years since I tasted one. I've had a Bud Light in the last year mainly because I have friends who have it at their house and I'm sure I've had a Miller Lite in the last year because if I were to drink a BMC beer, Miller Lite might be one that I would drink. But what does Budweiser taste like with its beechwood aging and all of that? Is it palatable or what? I'm not about to run out and buy any but that name... which means "From Budvar" which suggests that something Czech is going on. I assume that nothing Czech is going on.

still tastes like watered down, underhopped, golden lager, with a noticeable taste of green apple, and no discernible noble character, also still makes me nauseous 

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

:lol:

#4 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:59 PM

I tasted one about 5 years ago, offered to me by a neighbor and I accepted to be polite. It's the only Bud I've ever had in my life, actually.

I think I would describe it as mostly tasteless, but what taste is there is funk. Having drunk exclusively microbrew and homebrew, it didn't really resemble beer all that much. :huh:

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

seriously, Budweiser makes me physically nauseous, no other beer does

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

I don't recall the last time I had a Budweiser.  

And here I thought I was wandering into another "water" thread!

Wait... what?

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

It's interesting because it's such a staple of American (well, some America) life. This is not the first time I have heard about the green apple. I know they use rice in the beer and I know it's very light, mostly tasteless and uses a yeast that MtnBrewer would say "has no soul"... Wyeast 2007 or something similar. But the vague connection to something Czech is preposterous. I actually can't believe so many Americans settle for this as their beer. Ack Toohey.

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

It's interesting because it's such a staple of American (well, some America) life. This is not the first time I have heard about the green apple. I know they use rice in the beer and I know it's very light, mostly tasteless and uses a yeast that MtnBrewer would say "has no soul"... Wyeast 2007 or something similar. But the vague connection to something Czech is preposterous. I actually can't believe so many Americans settle for this as their beer. Ack Toohey.

I guess they figure it counts for their 8 glasses of water each day???

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:25 PM

I guess they figure it counts for their 8 glasses of water each day???

Hey-O! :lol:

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:16 AM

to me regular bud is not that far off from beers that are allegedly okay to people with more discerning tastes.  that would be something like PBR.  not much taste.  I'm not sure what the "funk" Scott describes is.  It doesn't give me headaches.  It doesn't make me nauseous. it is mostly just lacking in flavor.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 03 July 2015 - 03:28 AM.

#11 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25475 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:39 AM

I do not find Bud offensive. It does have a flavor I associate with Bud. Mostly Bud is a case of beer crimes of omission.

I am not a basic plain lager fan to begin with. So Bud is just one of a style I ambivalent about in the first place.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:35 AM

Haven't had a Bud in a long time.  Don't remember.  Bud Lite is pretty much like all the other sports drinks.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

Haven't had a Bud in a long time.  Don't remember.  Bud Lite is pretty much like all the other sports drinks.

:lol:

I may have told this story already... I was at the Hangout Fest in Gulf Shores last year and it was warm and sunny all weekend. They had various Bud products plus 312 Urban Wheat and Stella Artois. I was drinking 312 most of the weekend. At one point we were watching The Killers and I wanted to get a beer and went to the bar near the stage which I hadn't been to yet. No 312 and no Stella. I asked what beer they had and she said, "Bud Light". I gulped and ordered one. Back through the crowd and when I got back to where my wife was, she winced when she saw what I bought. I took one sip and couldn't believe how bad it was. Estery, slightly banana-like, just God-awful. Couldn't drink it and I have *NO* issue with gold lagers.

#14 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:43 AM

Slightly sweet american pils malt flavor with some green apple, no apparent hop flavor, no apparent hop aroma, low bitterness with a dry, low herbal and malty finish and after taste. 

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:23 AM

Slightly sweet american pils malt flavor with some green apple, no apparent hop flavor, no apparent hop aroma, low bitterness with a dry, low herbal and malty finish and after taste. 

Best description yet.  And get the "beechwood aged" thing out of your head.

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

Thanks! I learned me good at BJ school.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

I don't detect the pils malt flavor

I wonder if the "beechwood aging" is what gives me the nausea, no other beer does this 

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:41 AM

I wonder if the "beechwood aging" is what gives me the nausea, no other beer does this 

American pils malt isn't as pilsnerish as continental pils malt. Coppertail uses american pils malt as their base malt. Their beers have virtually no continental pils malt character. 

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:51 AM

There is no beechwood there.  They used to put strips of beechwood in the tanks to keep the yeast from floccing out and leaving the beer underattenuated.  AFAIK, these days they use strips of AL to do the same thing.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:13 AM

There is no beechwood there.  They used to put strips of beechwood in the tanks to keep the yeast from floccing out and leaving the beer underattenuated.  AFAIK, these days they use strips of AL to do the same thing.

so they are literally lying in the advertising?

American pils malt isn't as pilsnerish as continental pils malt. Coppertail uses american pils malt as their base malt. Their beers have virtually no continental pils malt character. 

I've used a couple of North American Pils malts that were indistinguishable to my palette from Weyerman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users