Photo
- - - - -

Anyone use Clarity Ferm to make gluten-free beer?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:27 AM

So my GF is all gung ho about brewing with me, but she's gluten intolerant.  Obviously, it would be nice if she could enjoy the beers she's helping to brew.  It appears Clarity Ferm from White Labs includes Brewer's Clarex which is what is used to make 'gluten-reduced' beers like Omission and Stone Delicious IPA (both of which she has had and enjoyed).

I'm wondering if anyone has used Clarity Ferm for clarity and/or gluten reduction.  Any kind of feedback on it would be appreciated.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:34 AM

This is from a while back, maybe something in there will help

https://www.brews-br...y-ferm-testing/

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:02 AM

Awesome.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  It really looks like it does what it says it does and has minimal or no effect on the final beer flavor.  That's pretty amazing.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:03 AM

Awesome.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  It really looks like it does what it says it does and has minimal or no effect on the final beer flavor.  That's pretty amazing.

I am here for you! :cheers:

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

This was completely off my radar until a couple of days ago.  I'm glad some of you guys around here are paying attention!

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:35 AM

I tried it for clarity and found it didn't really make any difference for me.  No idea about how much it reduces gluten, though.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

I tried it for clarity and found it didn't really make any difference for me.  No idea about how much it reduces gluten, though.

the link you posted in the thread that drez linked says it does.

seems worth a shot, JKor.  If she drank a beer and it wasn't fully free of glutans would she die or just be uncomfortable?

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

I tried it for clarity and found it didn't really make any difference for me. No idea about how much it reduces gluten, though.

What kind of clarity issues were you having?

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

the link you posted in the thread that drez linked says it does.

seems worth a shot, JKor. If she drank a beer and it wasn't fully free of glutans would she die or just be uncomfortable?

She doesn't seem to have any issue with Omission or Stone Delicious IPA which both use Clarity Ferm to remove gluten. She's not celiac, so it's just intestinal discomfort.

I'm definitely going to use it on the next batch.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

She doesn't seem to have any issue with Omission or Stone Delicious IPA which both use Clarity Ferm to remove gluten. She's not celiac, so it's just intestinal discomfort.

I'm definitely going to use it on the next batch.

do you know how they use it?  does it make the gluten drop to the bottom or does it turn it into something else?

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:10 AM

do you know how they use it?  does it make the gluten drop to the bottom or does it turn it into something else?

Gluten Reduction: The gluten protein present in beer is very proline-rich. Because this enzyme is a proline-specific protease, it chops up the gluten proteins so that people with sensitivities to gluten do not react adversely. When used correctly, beers treated with Clarity Ferm test < 10 ppm.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:33 AM

Gluten Reduction: The gluten protein present in beer is very proline-rich. Because this enzyme is a proline-specific protease, it chops up the gluten proteins so that people with sensitivities to gluten do not react adversely. When used correctly, beers treated with Clarity Ferm test < 10 ppm.

that sounds pretty fool proof.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

Girl I work with uses it and it works for her.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

It seems almost too easy. Almost all the beers tested in the linked article registered undetectable levels of gluten.

#15 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:47 AM

It seems almost too easy. Almost all the beers tested in the linked article registered undetectable levels of gluten.

SCIENCE!

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:06 PM

SCIENCE!

Srsly.

#17 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:18 PM

I have used it three or so times, people seem to enjoy the beer. The beers seemed thinner to taste (IMHO) other than that i mashed the last one higher and that seemed to take care of that .

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:11 PM

I have used it three or so times, people seem to enjoy the beer. The beers seemed thinner to taste (IMHO) other than that i mashed the last one higher and that seemed to take care of that .

Yeah, I asked her if her recipes came out different and she couldn't tell any difference. 

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:48 PM

I know my brain is going to tell me they are thinner.  It seems logical they would be, of course that doesn't mean they are.  The gluten could be adding nothing to the beer at all.

ETA:  If there's a flavor change it could be due to reducing the haze forming proteins as well.  It would probably be better to compare a Clarity Ferm beer to a PVPP treated beer, as opposed to a untreated beer.

Edited by JKor, 06 July 2015 - 01:49 PM.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

could you add a tiny drop of this stuff to a glass of beer and get good results?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users