14 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:25 AM

I was reading the new FWH Exbeeriment on Brulosophy and wondered about making a beer where all the hops were FWH. The results of his test, btw, were that it was tough for the tasters to determine which beer was the FWH. I seem to get a very distinct character when I FWH and I really enjoy it. But I usually do a FWH plus a 60-minutes addition. Obviously this would only apply to a small range of styles... helles, maybe festbier, dunkel, etc.

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:27 AM

I have done it years back when I did my own FWH vs. 60 min, test.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

I have done it years back when I did my own FWH vs. 60 min, test.

What were your findings?

I do love the simplicity of FWH'ing but I rarely do it.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

I ask this question mainly to know what anyone did in terms of the size of the addition, how you determined what the final IBUs might be, etc. I am totally in line with the findings of the Exbeeriment and I enjoy reading them very much. I have never done any side-by-side comparisons or anything close to "research" as he has done. But I do seem to really enjoy the beers I FWH. Maybe it's a mental thing and I just know that I did a FWH so I think the beer is better. I could see punching a recipe into Tastybrew and assume it will calculate the IBUs correctly.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

I was reading the new FWH Exbeeriment on Brulosophy and wondered about making a beer where all the hops were FWH. The results of his test, btw, were that it was tough for the tasters to determine which beer was the FWH. I seem to get a very distinct character when I FWH and I really enjoy it. But I usually do a FWH plus a 60-minutes addition. Obviously this would only apply to a small range of styles... helles, maybe festbier, dunkel, etc.

it might be nice for a blonde or stout as well.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:52 AM

I make a few beers where there is only one hop addition so I could see it for various recipes... but I'm unusual in that respect, I think.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

What were your findings?

I do love the simplicity of FWH'ing but I rarely do it.

Start on pg. 29....https://www.ahaconfe...8/DennyConn.pdf

I ask this question mainly to know what anyone did in terms of the size of the addition, how you determined what the final IBUs might be, etc. I am totally in line with the findings of the Exbeeriment and I enjoy reading them very much. I have never done any side-by-side comparisons or anything close to "research" as he has done. But I do seem to really enjoy the beers I FWH. Maybe it's a mental thing and I just know that I did a FWH so I think the beer is better. I could see punching a recipe into Tastybrew and assume it will calculate the IBUs correctly.

I FWH probably about 80% of my beers...everything from tripel to German pils to IPA.  I count them as the same amount of IBU as a 20 min. addition simply because that's what it tastes like to me.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:40 AM

Start on pg. 29....https://www.ahaconfe...8/DennyConn.pdf

I FWH probably about 80% of my beers...everything from tripel to German pils to IPA.  I count them as the same amount of IBU as a 20 min. addition simply because that's what it tastes like to me.

Thanks, that was helpful.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

I've never done enough side by side to tell but maybe I should start FWHing more often.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

I've done a lot with FWH as the only addition.  My perception is a bit more aroma and a smoother bitterness than a 60 minute addition with late additions.  It certainly does simplify the boil.

#11 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

I FWH just about everything and FWH-only some beers. I can't remember the last time I actually used a 60' hop addition.

I used to reduce the IBU expectation, but now I keep it at the 60 minute contribution. Perhaps that works because I'm not looking for a lot of bitterness and I'm using low alpha hops. I used to recommend the 20' adjustment, but a couple intentionally bitter beers came out a little over the top. A smooth bitterness, but more than I would have expected from a 20' addition.

Edited by Brauer, 06 July 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

I FWH just about everything and FWH-only some beers. I used to reduce the IBU expectation, but now I keep it at the 60 minute contribution. Perhaps that works because I'm not looking for a lot of bitterness and I'm using low alpha hops, typically. I used to recommend the 20' adjustment, but some intentionally bitter beer came out a little over the top. A smooth bitterness, but more than I would have expected from a 20' addition.

I did a 20 minute only addition for a hoppy Am Wheat on Friday just to compare since I had not done one in a long time.

#13 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

I did a 20 minute only addition for a hoppy Am Wheat on Friday just to compare since I had not done one in a long time.

Yeah, it's been a while since I made one where I didn't start hopping until 20'. I seem to remember that I liked them. Should be fun.

#14 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25598 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:28 PM

I can see some spicy noble hops as a FWH addition to an alt beer.

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

In case you didn't notice it, there was a flaw in Marshall's experiment.  He added extra hops to the non FWH to account for the supposed IBU difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users