#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

Kegging the lager tomorrow. Wont be ready to drink until monday, but I might try some.... 

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:09 PM

I'm sorry sir but over here... every day is lager day! :lol:

My friend, I hope it comes out as stellar as you envision.

#3 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

Seems like you've been sitting on this forever. Was there a problem that needed to be aged out?

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:33 PM

Seems like you've been sitting on this forever. Was there a problem that needed to be aged out?

No. It's only 28 days old, brewed on 6/14. I didn't have time to gel it until last weekend. It's crystal clear too. It tastes like a lager, nice bitterness and some hoppy flavor/aroma. The hallertau is very tasty. Will be carbed up by tuesday night.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

Ken, do you want me to wait to send beer until I brew some MLPA?

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:48 PM

Ken, do you want me to wait to send beer until I brew some MLPA?

No man... send it when it's ready! :P You send me some lager and I will send you some newly-brewed MLPA. Oh, and then you can send me some MLPA! :lol:

Edited by Village Taphouse, 12 July 2015 - 07:48 PM.

#7 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:29 AM

No. It's only 28 days old, brewed on 6/14. I didn't have time to gel it until last weekend. It's crystal clear too. It tastes like a lager, nice bitterness and some hoppy flavor/aroma. The hallertau is very tasty. Will be carbed up by tuesday night.

It's been a busy June and July, for me. It seemed more like months. Enjoy!

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:28 AM

No man... send it when it's ready! :P You send me some lager and I will send you some newly-brewed MLPA. Oh, and then you can send me some MLPA! :lol:

OK, I'll get to bottling some up either this week or next weekend. I have about 3-4 competitions to bottle for.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:24 AM

OK, I'll get to bottling some up either this week or next weekend. I have about 3-4 competitions to bottle for.

Well, looks like I'll be bottling sooner than later. I have to get my entries ready by this thursday, so I'll bottle a bunch up and get them sent to you, Ken.

Cheers!

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:30 AM

Tonight may be the first test day, it will be carbed up tonight. May let it sit and lose a little carb bite though.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:05 AM

Tried the lager last night. Pretty good.  Lots of malty pilsner character and some firm smooth bitterness that doesn't last on the palate. Some hop flavor is there, mostly herbal and flowery. Perfect, like right down the middle of the fairway, bohemian lager yeast fermentation character. Has some pils sweetness to it, but there is no residual sweetness, it's fairly dry. I think it's a little unbalanced at this point, but that might be because it's young. I think it might peak after a few weeks of lagering. 

I'm bottling this, the alt, and the kolsch tonight for competition and to send some to Ken.

Cheers!

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:11 AM

Tried the lager last night. Pretty good.  Lots of malty pilsner character and some firm smooth bitterness that doesn't last on the palate. Some hop flavor is there, mostly herbal and flowery. Perfect, like right down the middle of the fairway, bohemian lager yeast fermentation character. Has some pils sweetness to it, but there is no residual sweetness, it's fairly dry. I think it's a little unbalanced at this point, but that might be because it's young. I think it might peak after a few weeks of lagering. 

I'm bottling this, the alt, and the kolsch tonight for competition and to send some to Ken.

Cheers!

Hooray! I'll be looking forward to it. Once this MLPA is on tap, I will be sending a bottle of it your way as well. I sampled some on Monday night and it's definitely more "pale" than the last one I sent you and it's a little more crisp too. My samples were cloudy so I may have been getting some yeast bite too but that should disappear quickly. Happy bottling!! :lol:

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:21 AM

I am living for 8/1....that's book deadline day and the day I get my life back!  Brewing will happen!

#14 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

bad news... I lost the trigger and the spring from my beer gun. I'm gonna have to retool and retry. I didn't get anything bottled and I'm gonna miss this latest comp. I guess someone else will have to win for Kolsch this time.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

bad news... I lost the trigger and the spring from my beer gun. I'm gonna have to retool and retry. I didn't get anything bottled and I'm gonna miss this latest comp. I guess someone else will have to win for Kolsch this time.

Boo! Bummer... sorry to hear.

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

12 feet of 3/16 ID beer line with picnic tap, ordinary bottling wand inserted into picnic tap, really cold sanitized bottles, bleeder line from the CO2 setup

Flush each bottle with CO2, leave the line in the bottle trickling gas in, pressurize the bottling wand with beer, fill each bottle in a bucket 1 at a time, withdraw the CO2 hose and the bottling wand, then  cap on the foam.

#17 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:31 PM

Question for you BJCP judges on bottle fill: When I bottle from keg, I pull the wand up as I fill and fill all the way to the lip. No O2, no headspace at all, cap right on clear beer. You lose no carb to the headspace and I've had beer sit for months like this and lose no character or carb.

Would this get dinged in a comp?

#18 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:53 AM

Question for you BJCP judges on bottle fill: When I bottle from keg, I pull the wand up as I fill and fill all the way to the lip. No O2, no headspace at all, cap right on clear beer. You lose no carb to the headspace and I've had beer sit for months like this and lose no character or carb.

I'm not a judge, but... this is often noted, but it shouldn't affect the score if the judge is scoring properly. When I entered contests, I submitted "overfilled" beers for a similar reason.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

Shouldn't. If someone did ding it then they are completely out of line and it ought to be brought to the attention of the competition organizers.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

12 feet of 3/16 ID beer line with picnic tap, ordinary bottling wand inserted into picnic tap, really cold sanitized bottles, bleeder line from the CO2 setup

Flush each bottle with CO2, leave the line in the bottle trickling gas in, pressurize the bottling wand with beer, fill each bottle in a bucket 1 at a time, withdraw the CO2 hose and the bottling wand, then  cap on the foam.

Nope, nope, nope.

I've done this in the past though. I take packaging very seriously though and unless I bought a brand new tap and racking cane I wouldn't do it. Might as well get new parts for the beer gun.

On another note... I tried the lager again yesterday and maybe I had too many kolsch's before I had one but the bitterness seemed to mellow a bit (could have been carb bite) and it seems like a pretty nice beer. I'll bottle some in a couple weeks when I get my beer gun parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users