#21 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

Question for you BJCP judges on bottle fill: When I bottle from keg, I pull the wand up as I fill and fill all the way to the lip. No O2, no headspace at all, cap right on clear beer. You lose no carb to the headspace and I've had beer sit for months like this and lose no character or carb.

Would this get dinged in a comp?

No points are given for fill level.

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64047 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

You should get a bonus point for 100% fills. More beer!!!!

#23 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

You should get a bonus point for 100% fills. More beer!!!!

I also worry about a judge mistaking one for a gusher. Course I rarely ever enter comps. I use the bottling wand in the picnic tap method with the gas blown out of the keg to ~3psi. I had an IPL bottled like this for months. Finally opened it expecting it to be flat and stale. It was as fresh and carbed as the keg when it was bottled.

#24 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:08 AM

I can see that it takes a lot of the possibility of oxidation out of the equation. But it introduces the possibility for contamination from another surface. Probably not a problem for most people that soak their caps in sanitizer before they are bottled.

#25 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

Probably not a problem for most people that soak their caps in sanitizer before they are bottled.

you don't????????????

#26 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64047 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

I can see that it takes a lot of the possibility of oxidation out of the equation. But it introduces the possibility for contamination from another surface. Probably not a problem for most people that soak their caps in sanitizer before they are bottled.

I'm pretty sure the beer is touching the inside of the cap at some point no matter what the fill level is.

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

you don't????????????

I do. I think I read somewhere a long time ago that the O2 preventing caps aren't supposed to be put in sanitizer prior to bottling. I never paid attention to it though and have sanitized everything.

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:21 AM

I do. I think I read somewhere a long time ago that the O2 preventing caps aren't supposed to be put in sanitizer prior to bottling. I never paid attention to it though and have sanitized everything.

I thought that too and I looked it up and star-san was OK.. Oxygen based sanitizers were bad.

#29 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:21 PM

I thought that too and I looked it up and star-san was OK.. Oxygen based sanitizers were bad.

That makes no sense to me.  I thought they were supposed to be activated by liquid, so why would the liquid matter?  also, there has been a huge debate about if they actually work and no evidence one way or the other.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

That makes no sense to me. I thought they were supposed to be activated by liquid, so why would the liquid matter? also, there has been a huge debate about if they actually work and no evidence one way or the other.

I am just going by what was on the retailer page.

#31 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:51 PM

New beer gun is on it's way. Should be here tomorrow. I won't bottle this weekend or next week, but Ken should expect something in about a month.

#32 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:06 PM

I am just going by what was on the retailer page.

Yeah, I realize that.  I think they're wrong, but I'm guessing.

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

That makes no sense to me.  I thought they were supposed to be activated by liquid, so why would the liquid matter?  also, there has been a huge debate about if they actually work and no evidence one way or the other.

It seems like if you oxidize the lid material with sodium percarbonate the lid will no longer be capable of the reaction that  "scavenges" O2 in the bottle.

#34 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

not supposed to be boiled, sanitizer yes, boiling no

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users