114 replies to this topic

#81 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

Looks like I'm really close to having the book finished, so brewing is on my mind.  Gonna be 100+ here this week, so it'll be a Zymatic brew session.

I may have missed it, what is this book?

#82 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

seems like a great use of it.  how is the machine treating you now?  any updates?

Nope, no updates.  I still love and and am getting to feel more comfortable as I use it more.  I hear they're working on some updates to the advanced version of the software that you use to program your mash.  That will be welcome.

#83 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

I may have missed it, what is this book?

It's called "Homebrew All Stars"...interviews with 25 great homebrewers (everybody from Gordon, Palmer, etc. to people you've never heard of) about their techniques, recipes, and equipment.  Looking pretty cool.

#84 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64059 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:31 PM

After a longer-than-I-would-have-liked delay, I ordered the new burner and final bulkhead for the new brewrig. Just some PVC and high-temp tubing away at this point. Woot!

:cheers:

Every time I start brewing again i realize how much i missed it.  Hopefully I can make it more sustainable this time around and other life issues don't derail it.

It's called "Homebrew All Stars"...interviews with 25 great homebrewers (everybody from Gordon, Palmer, etc. to people you've never heard of) about their techniques, recipes, and equipment.  Looking pretty cool.

That sounds really cool, actually.

(I assume you haven't finished the interviews yet, because i haven't received an invite.)

#85 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:10 AM

:cheers:

Every time I start brewing again i realize how much i missed it.  Hopefully I can make it more sustainable this time around and other life issues don't derail it.

That sounds really cool, actually.

(I assume you haven't finished the interviews yet, because i haven't received an invite.)

You didn't get yours?  ;)

#86 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:38 AM

That sounds interesting.  I look forward to seeing the differences between them and see that many different ways can produce good beer.

#87 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:52 AM

That sounds interesting.  I look forward to seeing the differences between them and see that many different ways can produce good beer.

And that's really the point we wanted to get across.  Like Experimental Homebrewing and unlike pretty much every other homebrewing book, we don't tell you how to brew.  We give you options and let you choose for yourself.

#88 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

And that's really the point we wanted to get across.  Like Experimental Homebrewing and unlike pretty much every other homebrewing book, we don't tell you how to brew.  We give you options and let you choose for yourself.

I totally agree and to me this is similar to cookbooks (which we don't buy any longer). Once the science of cooking and how the cooking process works is understood, then a cookbook is merely a list of ingredients. Pic's are simply a bonus.

#89 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

I totally agree and to me this is similar to cookbooks (which we don't buy any longer). Once the science of cooking and how the cooking process works is understood, then a cookbook is merely a list of ingredients. Pic's are simply a bonus.

brewing has a nice limited set of ingredients with a fairly narrow range of outputs.  there are also a fairly short list of general processes.  you can achieve them in slightly different ways but the end goals are pretty much the same.

cooking is way too varied for me to treat it the same.  I can't possibly try even half of potential ingredients, techniques and combinations of all of these things.  I need recipes b/c I just don't have time to go through the necessary experimentation.

#90 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

I'm not suggesting recipes are not needed, just saying that (to me) culinary science has its basic theories too and once understood/mastered, there's not many things that can't be made from scratch or sans recipe.

#91 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:15 AM

Breaking news!

I'm still staring at the filtered water and measured-out grains that have been sitting there for over a week. Too hot and schputzy to brew this week! <_<

#92 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

Breaking news!

I'm still staring at the filtered water and measured-out grains that have been sitting there for over a week. Too hot and schputzy to brew this week! <_<

agreed.  no way I'd want to be near boiling hot liquid in my garage right now.

#93 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:20 AM

Fellas, take your shirt off and brew. My garage is a balmy 90 and if I'm lucky enough to get some rain it will only last long enough to create steam on the driveway and increase the overall humdidity....

#94 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

Fellas, take your shirt off and brew. My garage is a balmy 90 and if I'm lucky enough to get some rain it will only last long enough to create steam on the driveway and increase the overall humdidity....

I didn't live here b/c I like warm weather :lol:

#95 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

My cellar is just about 70 .. I think I may brew Friday night!

#96 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:46 AM

My cellar is just about 70 .. I think I may brew Friday night!

lucky!!!  enjoy it!

#97 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

lucky!!!  enjoy it!

I hope to.  May 7th was my last brew .. been a while

#98 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

This kind of weather is where the Zymatic becomes really useful.

#99 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:34 AM

PS, the Imperial Porter is still gurgling every 20 seconds...... I don't want to dry it out.....

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 29 July 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#100 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

PS, the Imperial Porter is still gurgling every 20 seconds...... I don't want to dry it out.....

That may not mean it's still fermenting, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users