50 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

The idea for this beer has been in my head for a while. Let me know what you think. I am totally unfamiliar with honey malt so I am keeping the dose pretty modest. Also, I have heard on more than one occasion that a small addition of honey malt plays nicely with fruity hops. Anyone else try this? Also thoughts on the Galaxy:Nelson ratio?

OG 1.063

IBU 50

SRM 5

82.5% 2-Row Pale

15% Flaked Wheat

2.5% Gambrinus Honey Malt

Mash @148F

Apollo@ 60 to 50 IBU

90g Galaxy and 35g Nelson Sauvin in 165F hop steep

90g Galaxy and 35g Nelson Sauvin dry hop

WY1450

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

I like the looks of this and I can see brewing this myself, with a different yeast :).  If you have had Enjoy By from Stone Brewing that beer has a 1:1 Galaxy and Nelson DH.  I do no think the 2.5% of honey malt will impact the final beer that much, such a small percentage. 

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

I like the looks of this and I can see brewing this myself, with a different yeast :). If you have had Enjoy By from Stone Brewing that beer has a 1:1 Galaxy and Nelson DH. I do no think the 2.5% of honey malt will impact the final beer that much, such a small percentage.

Never had the Enjoy By. Everytime I have seen it its been on the shelf after the enjoy by date! 2.5% is 6ozs. Do you think I should go up to 8ozs.? I'd like to keep it somewhat subdued but would like to know it is actually there too.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:42 AM

Never had the Enjoy By. Everytime I have seen it its been on the shelf after the enjoy by date! 2.5% is 6ozs. Do you think I should go up to 8ozs.? I'd like to keep it somewhat subdued but would like to know it is actually there too.

Because of how I like to measure things out I would go with the half pound.  I still think it will be fine.  A friend of mine uses honeymalt in a lot of beers, he will use it where most use cara-pils and has never complained of the issues a lot of people do.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

How do his beers taste? Th issues I have read about people having usually concern too much honey malt and thats what I didint want to do when using it the first time.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:54 AM

How do his beers taste? Th issues I have read about people having usually concern too much honey malt and thats what I didint want to do when using it the first time.

Very good.  He is not only a homebrewer but a commercial brewer and makes some very enjoyable beers.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:58 AM

Very good. He is not only a homebrewer but a commercial brewer and makes some very enjoyable beers.

good info, thx Ill roll with the half pound. I think ill up the Nelson too so the ratio is 2:1 G:N

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

good info, thx Ill roll with the half pound. I think ill up the Nelson too so the ratio is 2:1 G:N

and water?

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:03 PM

and water?

Well… not plugged into Brunwater yet but I am thinking I will go with the 75ppm SO4 and the 150ppm of Cl like I have been doing lately. 

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

I finally just mashed in on this. Upped the gravity to 1.066 and I am doing a Brauer-style separate beta and alpha rests to try to dry it out. 148F/30. 158F/45 (recent Brewstrong episode J. Palmer said that with some minor variation between malts your beta is basically gone at 30min.)

Also upped the Nelson so that the recipe reads

90g Galaxy 45g Nelson whirlpool and dry… (which is 3.2oz Galaxy and 1.6oz. Nelson)

Does anyone have any thoughts on those quantities of these specific hops? (I've never used Nelson)

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

Armagh suggested I side on lesser NS when I put together a Saison and I was glad I did. Upon completion I got a very intense Sauvignon Blanc out of the hop but it mellowed after a few weeks in the keg. Maybe drop to an ounce??

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:00 AM

Armagh suggested I side on lesser NS when I put together a Saison and I was glad I did. Upon completion I got a very intense Sauvignon Blanc out of the hop but it mellowed after a few weeks in the keg. Maybe drop to an ounce??

Personally I would leave it but plan on some time in teh keg for the hops to come together.  I have notices the NZ hops need some keg time to be perfect.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

^^ this too :)

Btw, why do you think a little time helps?

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 20 July 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:07 AM

Good input guys. Those are pretty average quantities I might put in an IPA but knowing these two hops can be pretty heady I had to ask. I'll leave it as is.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:09 AM

^^ this too :)

Btw, why do you think a little time helps?

I have no idea why other than it is just something I have noticed wiht beers I made with these hops,specifically Nelson.  I do a Nelson American wheat that needs about 3 weeks in the keg to get where I like it.  I also did a version of The Pupil by Societe Brewing and I hated it after a week in the keg, tried it again after about 3 and it was awesome and I am glad I did not dump it.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

Well first off all I got an efficiency bump. Coming in at 1.069. Lets hope this beta/alpha step mash helps dry it out.

ETA: also going to up the BUs a touch.

Edited by nettles, 20 July 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#17 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

Improved efficiency is the first benefit of an alpha step that many brewers discover. It helps make up for a batch that gelatinizes at the high end of the range, and maybe for a less than perfect crush.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:05 AM

Improved efficiency is the first benefit of an alpha step that many brewers discover. It helps make up for a batch that gelatinizes at the high end of the range, and maybe for a less than perfect crush.

Can you expand on this? Shouldn't the barley and the raw wheat in the recipe be gelatinized at 148F?

#19 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:32 PM

Can you expand on this? Shouldn't the barley and the raw wheat in the recipe be gelatinized at 148F?

The laboratory gelatinization temperature of barley starch has been measured as high as 153F, and that is probably in pulverized grain. It has also been shown that gelatinization temperature can rise with increased granule size and with thicker mashes. So, for some brewers, full gelatinization may not occur until well into the 150's F and/or may take more time than the mash gives it or than the beta amylase has before it denatures.

#20 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:38 PM

The laboratory gelatinization temperature of barley starch has been measured as high as 153F, and that is probably in pulverized grain. It has also been shown that gelatinization temperature can rise with increased granule size and with thicker mashes. So, for some brewers, full gelatinization may not occur until well into the 150's F and/or may take more time than the mash gives it or than the beta amylase has before it denatures.

Also, I believe that Palmer has said that gelatinization temperature can vary between lots, but I haven't looked into that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users