50 replies to this topic

#21 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:08 AM

The laboratory gelatinization temperature of barley starch has been measured as high as 153F, and that is probably in pulverized grain. It has also been shown that gelatinization temperature can rise with increased granule size and with thicker mashes. So, for some brewers, full gelatinization may not occur until well into the 150's F and/or may take more time than the mash gives it or than the beta amylase has before it denatures.

Got it, thanks. Im very curious to see how this one attenuates. It's easy enough to do so I may be trying more of these alpha rests in the future.

#22 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:07 AM

Improved efficiency is the first benefit of an alpha step that many brewers discover. It helps make up for a batch that gelatinizes at the high end of the range, and maybe for a less than perfect crush.

Same effect from the alpha rest on my saison  today. 148F/35 and 158F/40 Couple of extra points into the kettle. Looks like I am at 100% conversion. Going to be curious what other effect I will notice in terms of dryness and body and I guess potentially clarity?

#23 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

Is this a 5 gallon batch size?

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

Is this a 5 gallon batch size?

My bad, the recipe should read 6 gallons post boil. I always put 5.5 in the fermenter and finish 5 gallons. 

Also, as noted in a later post the whirlpool hops were 90g Galaxy and 45g Nelson and again 90g Galaxy and 45g Nelson dry hopped. I have yet to taste the beer. But as noted earlier the aroma was unbelievable.

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

OK, thanks.  That's what I figured.  I might try this at some point, but the LHBS is asking over $3/oz for all the NZ hops and I don't have time to order something for the weekend.  I'll need to plan ahead for this one.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:34 AM

OK, thanks.  That's what I figured.  I might try this at some point, but the LHBS is asking over $3/oz for all the NZ hops and I don't have time to order something for the weekend.  I'll need to plan ahead for this one.

Ouch! :cussing:

#27 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:25 PM

Actually, right around $3.  Mandarina Bavaria are $3.59.

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:38 PM

Actually, right around $3.  Mandarina Bavaria are $3.59.

glad I got a couple of pounds of them :)

#29 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

How many pounds are you holding on to?  Are you in the double digits yet?

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

How many pounds are you holding on to? Are you in the double digits yet?

Of these 2 about 2#'s each. Total hops is well into double digits.

#31 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:56 PM

Um yeah I'm gonna need a mod edit to call this one a DIPA. This is easily the most delicious IPA I have made and one of the best beers I have made. Huge, sweet, complex tropical fruit aroma you can smell a few feet from the glass. The fruity tropical flavor follows suit except it is balanced by a modest citrusy backbone and enough light dankiness to remind you what your dealing with here. Clear but not dominant grapefruitish "sauvignon blanc" type notes from the Nelson. The hops are intense, as much so as any DIPA I have had without a hint of anything objectionable to my palette. The honey malt is probably just right at 8oz. or 3.4% in this. (thanks Drez). It seemed too prominent in the sample I took when pushing to the keg but now it seems to have taken a backseat role and that is very complementary to what's going on in this beer.

This beer relates to some recent topics here so I'll discuss that a little. I did a separate alpha rest on this beer. 148F/30 and 158F/45. WY1450 took it from 1.069 to 1.012 or 82% AA. No simple sugars in the recipe. As noted above, the recipe was written for an OG of 1.066. I got 1.069 probably from better conversion as discussed.

Dry hopping was done as follows. All 135g went into the primary with the intention to add more to the keg if necessary. I left them there for 4 days and then closed transferred to the keg. More hop particulate was transferred along with it than I like but it's not surprising given the lack of a cold crash. (I normally cold crash and will again in the future) After kegging it sat cold for a week (33-34F) while carbonating. Tons of sludge coming from the tap and still a bit harsh/tannic so I gave it  1 Tbsp. of Biofine and waited 48 hrs. more. The idea again being to get rid of the yeast and that if I dropped too much hop flavor out of the beer in doing so I would dry hop again in the keg. Biofine made only a mild improvement in clarity but that wasn't the point. Tons of sludge came out in the first 1/2 pint and now the beer is phenomenal. What I am hoping going forward is that very little more flavor will drop at this point because right now it is absolutely perfect. I guess we'll see. The intention is to drink this one down over about the next 3 weeks with family and friends. 

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:41 AM

As I was measuring out ingredients last night for a 100% Galaxy IPA last night I am not sure if subconsciously I was thinking of this thread or Stone's Enjoy By or what but I had the thought to add in some Nelson to the mix.  Your recent post now helps that decision.  My additions will be a bit lower than yours though.

14# TF Maris Otter

5ml Hop Extract - 60

84g Galaxy and 28g Nelson in the whirlpool and the same amount for a dry hop ( unsure if the dry hop will be staged or not)

WLP644 to do the work

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:28 AM

I still haven't used the 644. Have you? I think that will be a terrific beer. Even with the reduced quantities those hops are extremely expressive and to me they are fantastic together. I do like the idea of the single characterful base malt too. We saw this in the Todd the Axeman with the 100% GP. I think the GP was an important part of the overall flavor of that beer, not completely lost to the citra and mosaic. Let us know how the MO works with these hops and overall in your beer.

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:39 AM

No, I have not used the 644 but from reading what it does I think it will go really well with this beer.  The truth behind the 100% basemalt is still trying to dial in some BIAB#'s but I think in the end it will work very well in the beer.  Going to also go with the 145/158 mash schedule and I did a double grind this time to see if that helps me any.

#35 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:45 AM

No, I have not used the 644 but from reading what it does I think it will go really well with this beer.  The truth behind the 100% basemalt is still trying to dial in some BIAB#'s but I think in the end it will work very well in the beer.  Going to also go with the 145/158 mash schedule and I did a double grind this time to see if that helps me any.

Were you having efficiency issues with it I can't remember?

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:48 AM

Were you having efficiency issues with it I can't remember?

I seem to get 70% no matter what I do.  BIAB, Batch the Denny method, Batch with a manifold.  I have not tried fly yet, have all I need to do it just have not done it.  I adjust my crush, adjust water and anything else and still 70%  I am at a loss.

#37 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:09 AM

Consistency means your a good brewer! I'll be curious to see if you get a bump from that alpha rest like I did. Just curious, do you have a screen over your element…. how do you raise the temp on your system from 148 to 158 and not burn the bag?

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:20 AM

Consistency means your a good brewer! I'll be curious to see if you get a bump from that alpha rest like I did. Just curious, do you have a screen over your element…. how do you raise the temp on your system from 148 to 158 and not burn the bag?

RIMS, I use my RIMS to raise the temps.  I will circulate the entire mash.  Of course I have wondered if recirculating is part of my efficiency issue.

#39 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:51 AM

That's right I forgot yours was RIMS.

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:12 PM

As I was measuring out ingredients last night for a 100% Galaxy IPA last night I am not sure if subconsciously I was thinking of this thread or Stone's Enjoy By or what but I had the thought to add in some Nelson to the mix. Your recent post now helps that decision. My additions will be a bit lower than yours though.

14# TF Maris Otter
5ml Hop Extract - 60
84g Galaxy and 28g Nelson in the whirlpool and the same amount for a dry hop ( unsure if the dry hop will be staged or not)
WLP644 to do the work

Decided to go with some riwaka hops with galaxy instead, 84/56 for both additions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users