#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:10 AM

In case anyone is interested, below is my tap line cleaning regimen, and with pictures! :D

Here is the equipment I use:

DSC00954.jpg

Pitcher - contains some BLC and topped up to 2 quarts w/ hot water

Smaller rectangular tub - StarSan & hot water (faucets and QDs soak in this during cleaning)

Pond pump - is attached to adapter that connects to tower where faucet attaches to:

DSC00955.jpg

Below is the pond pump adapter hooked up to tower and ready to clean:

DSC00957.jpg

Next step: pond pump goes into pitcher of BLC solution, and liquid out QD is disconnected and placed in Star-san w/ faucet

(faucets and QDs are scrubbed w/ small brush from 1st pic while lines are flushed/cleaned):

DSC00959.jpg

Next step: pump is plugged in, and beer line is re-directed in BLC pitcher, and allowed to run for ~15 minutes per line

(I don't hold the beer line the whole time, this is only to show how the BLC is recirculated):

DSC00960.jpg

Once each line has BLC run through it, I repeat this process w/ cold water + a splash of Star-san, to ensure any debris is flushed out and the lines are sanitized.

Then, re-assemble the faucets, reattach to tower, re-attach QDs, and hook back up to waiting kegs.

:frank:

Bklmt2000

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

that is pretty slick.  are you concerned about the internals of the pond pump not being food grade?

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

that is pretty slick.  are you concerned about the internals of the pond pump not being food grade?

Not terribly concerned, no.  I've never experienced any off-flavors or any other problems I can recall.

You're probably right, it probably isn't food-grade, but i'll keep using it until it dies; that said, i should probably make sure the next pump IS food grade, if possible.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:55 AM

Not terribly concerned, no.  I've never experienced any off-flavors or any other problems I can recall.

You're probably right, it probably isn't food-grade, but i'll keep using it until it dies; that said, i should probably make sure the next pump IS food grade, if possible.

does such a thing exist for a small pump like this?  the nice thing about that pump is it's probably very inexpensive.

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:59 AM

Honestly, I have no idea of such a pump being food-grade exists, and if so, if i could afford it.  :D

I do recall the pump being fairly inexpensive at Lowe's; i originally bought to use with my immersion chiller, but I use a sump pump for chilling now.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:32 AM

I was discussing this with my FIL on Saturday. I wouldn't worry about the pump. Unless it starts to deteriorate noticeably, it's probably fine. The pump is for an aquarium and fish are about 1000 times more sensitive to chemicals than we are. Also, giving it a thorough hot rinse after use will keep it from deteriorating. 

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:44 AM

I was discussing this with my FIL on Saturday. I wouldn't worry about the pump. Unless it starts to deteriorate noticeably, it's probably fine. The pump is for an aquarium and fish are about 1000 times more sensitive to chemicals than we are. Also, giving it a thorough hot rinse after use will keep it from deteriorating. 

yeah - I was just thinking heat + chemicals on non-food grade stuff could be bad.  granted most of it would get rinsed out by beer.  and while fish are very sensitive you aren't pumping hot water with cleaning agents through the pump.  most fish also don't live 80 years :P

it's like stuff we give dogs for ticks.  long term it wouldn't be great for them but they'll die of something else first.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 13 July 2015 - 05:44 AM.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:58 AM

yeah - I was just thinking heat + chemicals on non-food grade stuff could be bad.  granted most of it would get rinsed out by beer.  and while fish are very sensitive you aren't pumping hot water with cleaning agents through the pump.  most fish also don't live 80 years :P

it's like stuff we give dogs for ticks.  long term it wouldn't be great for them but they'll die of something else first.

It's not necessarily food grade that matters. It's what the material is. Food grade material isn't always great with heat and strong caustics either.

He could always use lower heat and that would help a bit. 

#9 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:22 AM

The setup I use to clean my taps is a small stainless pot with valve on a camp stove. From the valve, it goes to the march pump, which then goes to one of the faucets. Inside the walk-in, I create loops for it to come back out and back in to the pot.

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:51 AM

I cleaned my tower using a chemical spray bottle full of BLC. Put a party balloon over the end of the faucet, use a rubber band if necessary. Elevate the line so that the end is level with the tap. Spray in the BLC until you see the balloon starting to swell a little. Alligator clip the end of the line to the tap so the contents don't spill out. Let it sit for 15 minutes and flush with hot water. Repeat if necessary.

#11 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

https://www.homebrew...ad.php?t=226497

5458806287_a05aa55255.jpg

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:11 PM

I still need to try that brass piece.  I can't get a good seal with just the keg post on there.

#13 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:47 PM

I saw that same post on HBT years ago, but what I use is pretty hands off once everything is hooked up, which takes me all of ~5 minutes or so.

I also like the idea of a pump force-circulating cleaner continuously through the lines, rather than having to manually pump cleaner through.

And, I get to channel my inner MacGuyver in the process, which is cool, too.  :lol:

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

any reason not to just add the solution to a 3g keg and push it through with CO2?

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:52 PM

any reason not to just add the solution to a 3g keg and push it through with CO2?

if I had some of those I'd probably do it :P

sometimes I'll lug a 5 gallon keg in and do this.

after I still need to rinse the line with water though.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

if I had some of those I'd probably do it :P

sometimes I'll lug a 5 gallon keg in and do this.

after I still need to rinse the line with water though.

I have a couple spares and my thought was to have one with the solution and one with water to rinse.

Seems like it should work fine unless I am missing something.

#17 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

Not really; i rigged up what I did to save on CO2, although the amount saved would probably be minimal.

Another benefit: I could take each faucet apart and give it a good scrubbing and sauna soak in Star-San (say that 3 times fast) while the lines were being cleaned.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

Not really; i rigged up what I did to save on CO2, although the amount saved would probably be minimal.

Another benefit: I could take each faucet apart and give it a good scrubbing and sauna soak in Star-San (say that 3 times fast) while the lines were being cleaned.

Pond pumps are cheap enough, have to decide what way I want to go.

#19 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

The circulation is a big advantage for the pump, in my mind.

Since I actively heat the solution, the lines continue to receive hot caustic solution for 15 minutes. With a keg (or that pump spray), the solution would chill quickly in the lines, and I doubt even a full 5 gallon keg would be able to flow for 15 minutes at a reasonable rate. Plus, since I am recirculating, I don't need 5 gallons of solution.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:51 PM

So I want to give one of these a go.  would it make sense to make one of these with a ball lock post on it?  is there a good reason to push the cleaner through in the opposite direction that the beer flows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users