#21 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

I like Tank 7 quite a bit when fresh. It loses some mojo over time for sure though. I had Saison Brett on tap in Chicago a while back and it had this weird fake sweetness going on and a very off-putting brett character I've not tasted anywhere else. Considering Saison Brett's reputation I just assumed there was something wrong with that keg.

That sounds like bad beer lines to me. There is no brett anywhere close to Tank 7. 

I had ~4 of Boulevard's beers at a festival a few years ago. Tank 7 was one, there was a quad and two more. None of them really struck a chord with me. Based on that experience i've steered away from any of their stuff in the beer aisle.

Good. More for me. 

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

That sounds like bad beer lines to me. There is no brett anywhere close to Tank 7. 

I think he was talking about Saison Brett

#23 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

I like Tank 7 quite a bit when fresh. It loses some mojo over time for sure though. I had Saison Brett on tap in Chicago a while back and it had this weird fake sweetness going on and a very off-putting brett character I've not tasted anywhere else. Considering Saison Brett's reputation I just assumed there was something wrong with that keg.

The place was a brand new tap room so I'm not sure how the lines would be bad but who knows?

#24 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

I usually wait at least a year before drinking brett saison. Even young there is nothing weird about it. Been drinking it for years on tap at various places in the Midwest and from numerous bottles and vintages. Not sure then what was going on with your sample. I will always remember being on the gabf floor celebrating with the brewers when it won gold the first time.

#25 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

I gotta agree, Tank 7 is awesome.  One of those beers that if I had to choose just one, that could be it. 

#26 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:09 PM

Good. More for me.

Your welcome!

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

I think it's a good move.

#28 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

I had ~4 of Boulevard's beers at a festival a few years ago. Tank 7 was one, there was a quad and two more. None of them really struck a chord with me. Based on that experience i've steered away from any of their stuff in the beer aisle.

I looked around and I think those are some I was thinking of, Tank 7, Sixth Glass Quad, 80 Acre Wheat, Double Wide IPA I know I've had, and also some big bottles that I think had very simple labels, but I don't remember what they were.

#29 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:47 AM

Double Wide isn't made anymore. The recipe was an original IIpA which any early samples of the style sucked no matter who brewed it. The new beers are The Calling and Heavy Lifting.

#30 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:21 AM

[to me] The Calling is cloying. It has a nice bitter to it but just seems 'sticky.' I won't pass it up however :)

#31 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

I don't really get cloying but it does appear to have a higher FG. I drink more if the Heavy Lifting. I'm not a huge fan of IIpA or session IpA anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users