#21 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

I need to check this out later... hopping in to tag the thread.

#22 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:29 AM

Had a chance to brew on Saturday with the 815 impeller upgrade to my 809 March pump and indeed, it was a noticeable difference.  I also re-oriented my pump head to a vertical (wort out on top) orientation and that seemed to help as well.  I had a little bit of an issue getting the pump primed initially but once it was primed, it was good to go for the rest of my brew day. 

My Saison (w/Jasmine flowers) is bubbling away about 85°.  Man....3711 cranks baby!!!

Edited by chadm75, 27 July 2015 - 09:29 AM.

#23 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

I've been using my 809  with the input on top for close to a decade.  The output on the bottom has a tee with two valves. One goes straight down, the other exits at 90 degrees.   Sparge water goes straight down into a bucket to prime, maybe a half pine.  Then the teed valves get switched to the 90 degree one for the brewing.

It works well for cleanup too.  Everything drains into a sink or bucket depending.  Works at my place.

#24 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

I've been using my 809  with the input on top for close to a decade.  The output on the bottom has a tee with two valves. One goes straight down, the other exits at 90 degrees.   Sparge water goes straight down into a bucket to prime, maybe a half pine.  Then the teed valves get switched to the 90 degree one for the brewing.

It works well for cleanup too.  Everything drains into a sink or bucket depending.  Works at my place.

Once upon a time, I tried flooding from the top, but had cavitation issues.  I moved the inlet to the bottom and pump out the top.  My ghetto sculpture has changed... wondering if its time to test a reverse?

#25 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

Once upon a time, I tried flooding from the top, but had cavitation issues.  I moved the inlet to the bottom and pump out the top.  My ghetto sculpture has changed... wondering if its time to test a reverse?

The tee on the bottom is what made the difference IMO.  But, everyone's system works differently.

#26 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:22 AM

Thanks guys,

I bougt two.  Seems I always lose prime at the most inconvenient times.

Looking forward to trying these out.

And my 809's feed from the top.

Not too sure how easy it will be to change this.

#27 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

.Not too sure how easy it will be to change this.

March pump heads can be unscrewed and then re-attached in any orientation.  I just learned this myself about a week ago.... :facepalm:

#28 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:39 AM

The tee on the bottom is what made the difference IMO.  But, everyone's system works differently.

Can I get a few close up pictures of this on your rig?

March pump heads can be unscrewed and then re-attached in any orientation.  I just learned this myself about a week ago.... :facepalm:

If he's like me, it means reconfiguring copper piping.  Changing the orientation will require more than just... you know... unscrewing and re-attaching it.    

I actually had to replace the pump head a few years back when I had a brewing catastrophe and my rig fell over shearing off the inlet (including threads).

#29 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

Can I get a few close up pictures of this on your rig?

Untitled-2.jpg?1438181177693&14381811868

#30 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:21 AM

If he's like me, it means reconfiguring copper piping.  Changing the orientation will require more than just... you know... unscrewing and re-attaching it.    

I actually had to replace the pump head a few years back when I had a brewing catastrophe and my rig fell over shearing off the inlet (including threads).

Yikes!  Yeah, I had nothing hard piped in.  I had my pump mounted upside down underneath my brew stand.  All I had to do is re-orient the pump head and I was in business. 

#31 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:57 AM

Untitled-2.jpg?1438181177693&14381811868

What is the elevation drop like from the kettle to the pump?  I'm not able to get mine too high above it.  Probably just a couple of inches.

Yikes!  Yeah, I had nothing hard piped in.  I had my pump mounted upside down underneath my brew stand.  All I had to do is re-orient the pump head and I was in business. 

I will say that the folks at March were very helpful and the replacement part was not expensive at all.  Great customer service.

#32 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:27 AM

What is the elevation drop like from the kettle to the pump?  I'm not able to get mine too high above it.  Probably just a couple of inches.

About a foot to bottom let.  Around 14 gallons preboil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users