#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:23 AM

Fellas, I’m enjoying making some summer Pale Ales and even an IPA. Got me thinking that sometimes I like the citrus face punch and sometimes the resiny piney tooth chipper. I have a beer carbonating right now that has a pile Amarillo, a hefty pinch of Simcoe and a butt load of Citra. Pre-carbed, this beer tastes like a pink grapefruit explosion. The opposite end of the spectrum (to me) a beer with the Zeus, Chinook, Cascade has more of the resiny/piney thing going on. So I ask you’s guys. Which way do you tend to go with your APA/IPA’s? One or the other or a happy medium?

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

All of the above.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

I can't really decide :lol:

I tend to like most C-hops.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:49 AM

All of the above.

This.

I like Amarillo and Citra together and I like Amarillo with some Simcoe. I like a beer with late all-Citra additions. But sometimes I don't want it fruity... I want it hoppy but I want it cleaner. So late additions of Mt. Hood, Santiam, Glacier, Liberty, Sterling, Saphir, Perle, Ultra, Crystal, Goldings, etc. are employed.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 21 July 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

All of the above.

Same,  it really depends on the mood I am in as to if I want a citrus bomb or something dank.  My next IPA will be dank though.  I just got some comet hops and some VT yeast and plan to pair them up with some Columbus, simcoe and apollo and go for a big old dank IPA.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:57 AM

Same,  it really depends on the mood I am in as to if I want a citrus bomb or something dank.  My next IPA will be dank though.  I just got some comet hops and some VT yeast and plan to pair them up with some Columbus, simcoe and apollo and go for a big old dank IPA.

You're reading my mind drezz. I'm personally predicting that by the time I get half way through the grapefruit batch I have carbing that I'll want something on the "dank" side of brewing. Good word btw... I too have a vial of VT that I MUST use soon. Although I don't want to buy nor do I have any room for more hops, maybe some Columbus is in order....

I know my initial question is very hard to corral....

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

You're reading my mind drezz. I'm personally predicting that by the time I get half way through the grapefruit batch I have carbing that I'll want something on the "dank" side of brewing. Good word btw... I too have a vial of VT that I MUST use soon. Although I don't want to buy nor do I have any room for more hops, maybe some Columbus is in order....

I know my initial question is very hard to corral....

There is always room for more hops!!!

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:06 PM

yeah - Columbus is my favorite dank hop by far.  I should probably make some DC Rye IPA to get my fill.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:06 PM

Fact.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

well - until they soak up half your beer and you don't get to drink it :crybaby:

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:26 PM

I think the best ones are somewhere in between where they have some fruity complexity, but enough resinous pine, dank hops, and bitterness in the flavor and aroma to keep it really interesting. I find the super fruity IPA's to lose my interest as much as the overly dank and bitter ones. I feel like the aroma/flavor should keep you guessing rather than have a laser like focus that hits you in the face.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

I think the best ones are somewhere in between where they have some fruity complexity, but enough resinous pine, dank hops, and bitterness in the flavor and aroma to keep it really interesting. I find the super fruity IPA's to lose my interest as much as the overly dank and bitter ones. I feel like the aroma/flavor should keep you guessing rather than have a laser like focus that hits you in the face.

I think it can be a little more one dimensional and still be okay  if there are other things going on with the beer though (interesting yeast, specialty grains, etc.).  if it's pretty much JUST a hops vehicle than I'd have to agree though.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

I can appreciate your opinion, that's why I mentioned likely losing interest in the IPA I have carbing... A good balance definitely. But IMHO I couldn't see a Columbus/Citra combo for example. I'm sure it's been done and done well? But I can't see it. Columbus/Amarillo? More likely...

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

I can appreciate your opinion, that's why I mentioned likely losing interest in the IPA I have carbing... A good balance definitely. But IMHO I couldn't see a Columbus/Citra combo for example. I'm sure it's been done and done well? But I can't see it. Columbus/Amarillo? More likely...

try Chinook/citra :)

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

B/C I wish to visit the dank side I am placing an order for some Columbus and Chinook very shortly. Any other hop I should consider?

#16 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:31 PM

I think Schwanz hit the nail on the head. Commercially, it oftentimes comes down more to freshness than anything. I can't deal with the disappointment of old IPAs any more. I stopped by Climbing Bines for a pint of their IIPA after work yesterday and it was really a treat to have a great hoppy beer 20 feet from where it was made and only like 2 weeks old. Spectacular.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

It's not necessarily a balance, there can be strong flavors and aromas, but it needs to be complex (the hop schedule isn't necessarily complex) and interesting. As your palate adjusts and changes with every sip you get something you didn't get before and somethings disappear. It makes you want another and it means you'll drink that beer more often.

If you hammer one note on the flavor/aroma profile you'll burn out your senses after a single beer or two. It can be a really good beer to begin with, but the profile will begin to grate on my senses and that makes it less appealing for a session, IMO. I'll often switch styles or build up to IPA when I go to the bar.

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:26 PM

That's a very interesting thought process. With that is there a beer you can mention that makes you wanting for more?

#19 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

I love all hops except fuggles and Summit. Also love hopping lagers all to hell with nobles. Saaz and Spalt Select are fantastic together with a heavy handed IPA style schdule.

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

I love all hops except fuggles and Summit. Also love hopping lagers all to hell with nobles. Saaz and Spalt Select are fantastic together with a heavy handed IPA style schdule.

Ever get heavy handed with Strisselspalt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users