Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

how to motivate myself to use liquid yeast again?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:15 AM

I'm hooked on the dry stuff.  So damn easy.  Also damn easy for me to acquire.  But I also know I'm going to get bored with it soon.  My liquid yeast of choice (wyeast) I have to order or drive out of my way to get.  Need to figure out a way to get past this mental hurdle.

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:19 AM

Because stir plates are cool?

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:43 AM

I'm hooked on the dry stuff.  So damn easy.  Also damn easy for me to acquire.  But I also know I'm going to get bored with it soon.  My liquid yeast of choice (wyeast) I have to order or drive out of my way to get.  Need to figure out a way to get past this mental hurdle.

I use both but with the schedule I have for brewing I like dry because of convenience.  There are a lot of new dry yeasts out there these day to help with the boredom.  The only downside really is that the price of dry has got close to liquid. 

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:05 AM

I use both but with the schedule I have for brewing I like dry because of convenience.  There are a lot of new dry yeasts out there these day to help with the boredom.  The only downside really is that the price of dry has got close to liquid. 

if you can plan to do something like 20 gallons in a short period of time the liquid is a good deal because of reuse (split starters in my case).  for one off beers dry still has a slight edge on price at my house (I know some people mash to make starters but I use DME).  the real advantage to dry like you said is convenience.  I should really branch out to some of the other dry yeasts as well.  what are the non US-05 and S-04 favorites?

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:14 AM

if you can plan to do something like 20 gallons in a short period of time the liquid is a good deal because of reuse (split starters in my case).  for one off beers dry still has a slight edge on price at my house (I know some people mash to make starters but I use DME).  the real advantage to dry like you said is convenience.  I should really branch out to some of the other dry yeasts as well.  what are the non US-05 and S-04 favorites?

I did not think of the starter costs along with the liquid yeast.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:37 AM

I did not think of the starter costs along with the liquid yeast.

adds a couple of bucks usually.  nothing huge.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16632 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:41 AM

If you like what you get with dry why change to liquid? Unless there is a specific yeast character you can't get otherwise stick with the dry. I like liquid because there are yeasts I use that have no dry equivalent and I don't mind making starters and such. 3724, 1469, 1450, 002 (is there a dry Fuller's strain?) are all yeasts I use not too infrequently. I have found that liquid seems to be a bit more predictable FWIW.

Also I don't know how the brewing process works for others but for me I have enough sugars left in my grains after a ~1.065, 60 min boil batch to easily get and additional .75 gal. of 1.035-1.040 wort that I save for starters. Even my lower gravity batches can get me a quart or two of starter wort. I just put my BIAB bag in a bucket with some additional water and hang the bag from the ceiling.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:47 AM

I do like it but it can also get boring using US-05 A LOT!  I just want some yeast derived variety in the beers I'm drinking.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16632 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:49 AM

I do like it but it can also get boring using US-05 A LOT!  I just want some yeast derived variety in the beers I'm drinking.

Do you like english ales? Can't remember you making one but I'm a short timer here.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:52 AM

Do you like english ales? Can't remember you making one but I'm a short timer here.

I have made quite a few in the past but lately I'm on an American hoppy ale kick.  I occasionally use S-04 but that is a case where I really think the liquid options for English ales are better.

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:57 AM

I had been in a dry yeast rut myself but broke out last night. I now have 1007 on the stirplate for a Gose. Maybe just pick out a liquid yeast and plan the next few brews around it and get to work.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:14 AM

What's your process for dry vs. liquid that makes it that much easier?  I haven't used dry since my early extract brewing days when it came in the kit.  I've wanted to give some of the newer dry yeasts a shot, but I'm just so used ot grabbing liquid I usually pass it over.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:21 AM

What's your process for dry vs. liquid that makes it that much easier?  I haven't used dry since my early extract brewing days when it came in the kit.  I've wanted to give some of the newer dry yeasts a shot, but I'm just so used ot grabbing liquid I usually pass it over.

1.Open pack of yeast

2.dump in

3. Wait

4 Wait a bit more

5. Profit ..err .. Drink!

Sometimes I will re-hydrate, most of the times I will not though.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:23 AM

dry:  take 2 packs of yeast out of my fridge (they keep for years) and let sit on counter while I brew and then sprinkle directly into chilled wort

liquid: acquire smack pack at least a week ahead of time (have to order online or go out of my way as my LHBS only carries white labs), make starter (2 steps if lager b/c I need a lot of yeast for 10 gallons), chill and decant a few liters of starter liquid ahead of time, pitch into chilled wort

if I'm planning to reuse the liquid yeast it's def 2 steps of starter so I can save some of the first step for the next use.  if I used it twice I guess it would be 1.5 starters per 10 gallon batch.

really one of the barriers to use is my apprehension to use white labs.  maybe I should start using them every once in a while.  so far I've only used 833 (ayinger strain) and I did enjoy that.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 22 July 2015 - 06:25 AM.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16632 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:27 AM

Why the apprehension to White Labs? 

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:28 AM

really one of the barriers to use is my apprehension to use white labs.  maybe I should start using them every once in a while.  so far I've only used 833 (ayinger strain) and I did enjoy that.

What does that come from?  I have had no issues with White labs, is it because you do not know the viability because the package does not swell?

Thanks for reminding me I had a tube of 833 in the fridge ... :scratch:

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:28 AM

Why the apprehension to White Labs? 

for whatever reason I'm not familiar with their stuff and most people seem to use wyeast.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16632 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:30 AM

for whatever reason I'm not familiar with their stuff and most people seem to use wyeast.

Use White labs. Their stuff is every bit as legit. as Wyeast. They have equivalents of many of the Wyeast strains. 

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:34 AM

any white labs favorites for American/English ales?

this thread reminds that I will be going back to 833 to make a "munich export" this fall.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:40 AM

just scanning their website...

These all sound like potentially good options.  Thoughts?  Others I should consider?

WLP008 East Coast Ale

WLP041 Pacific Ale

WLP051 California Ale V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users