Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

how to motivate myself to use liquid yeast again?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:43 AM

right now Pacific Ale sounds the best of the 3 to me but maybe I'm wrong.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:00 AM

just scanning their website...

These all sound like potentially good options.  Thoughts?  Others I should consider?

WLP008 East Coast Ale

WLP041 Pacific Ale

WLP051 California Ale V

WLP051 is close to 1272

I have not used WLP008 but it was said to be from Sam Adams at one time?  I have read of attenuation issues with it but not sure how true.

WLP041 sounds interesting, almost a bit like WLP200 from morebeer maybe.

Edited by drez77, 22 July 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

yeah - I'm not looking to make sam adams beer ;)

I recall 1272 being pretty good but not ideal for me.

maybe I'll give 041 a shot then.

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:05 AM

I've never made a bad beer with 1272 or 1450.

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63977 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:08 AM

1.Open pack of yeast

2.dump in

3. Wait

4 Wait a bit more

5. Profit ..err .. Drink!

Sometimes I will re-hydrate, most of the times I will not though.

dry:  take 2 packs of yeast out of my fridge (they keep for years) and let sit on counter while I brew and then sprinkle directly into chilled wort

Interesting.  I had heard that going in dry reduced the viability considerably.  How do you guys determine your viability and ultimate pitch rate?

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:10 AM

Yeah 1272 is good by me

Interesting.  I had heard that going in dry reduced the viability considerably.  How do you guys determine your viability and ultimate pitch rate?

WAG!

Most of my beers that I am using on pack of S-05 are are 1.050 or less and have no had an attenuation issue.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:21 AM

I've only used 1272 once.  it did have the slightly tart finish which I'm undecided on.  works well with some things, maybe not with others.

it apparently does but I can't tell the difference since I stopped rehydrating it.  for my 10 gallon batches I typically pitch 2 packs.  I've gone a little over 1.070 doing this and haven't had an issue.  That big beer finished around 1.009 so def not an attenuation problem.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:32 AM

That East Coast yeast is nasty. Some refer to it as Sam Adam's yeast. Not sure but it's got a sort of tangy, estery thing that I do not care for. I'm sure I could drink a beer that someone made with it but I think I tried it three times and winced every sip.

I would say that you should do what you like and if you get bored, venture out and do some liquid yeast. If I make a standard-sized 5-gallon batch (5% or so), I'll smack a fresh Wyeast pack, let it expand and pitch it into well-oxygenated wort. Ale only and 5% or so. Any bigger or a lager and I would make a starter. You know what? I hate making starters. Hate it. It seems like more work than I want to do and I feel like I can't duplicate lab-like conditions in my kitchen so there's a chance the yeast will be futzed before the batch even begins. All that said, I still do it because I love the liquid strains. My one LHBS only sells Wyeast so if I have White Labs it's because I ordered it... which I do. I have not used dry yeast in many, many years.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 22 July 2015 - 07:33 AM.

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:39 AM

if you really hate starters you should give dry a try again.  maybe a US-05 MLPA?

#30 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:41 AM

I'm hooked on the dry stuff.  So damn easy.  Also damn easy for me to acquire.  But I also know I'm going to get bored with it soon.  My liquid yeast of choice (wyeast) I have to order or drive out of my way to get.  Need to figure out a way to get past this mental hurdle.

This is what I did in your situation.....split a batch of wort and pitch US05 into one half and WY1056 into the other. That was all it took to convince me to go back to liquid. Not to mention Belgian styles and lagers.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:45 AM

for lagers I still use liquid but that's only a couple of beer per year.  perhaps I should go back and try some 1056 again.  I had a good run with it when I first went to liquid yeast.

#32 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

for lagers I still use liquid but that's only a couple of beer per year.  perhaps I should go back and try some 1056 again.  I had a good run with it when I first went to liquid yeast.

After years of telling myself that 05 was the same, I was astounded by the difference when I did a split batch comparison.

#33 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

I have a vial of WLP070 in my fridge, but I've been using Red Star bread yeast for the past 2 months. My last beer finished below 1.000. Kinda tough to justify all that hassles involved with starters after that. 

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:42 AM

I have a vial of WLP070 in my fridge, but I've been using Red Star bread yeast for the past 2 months. My last beer finished below 1.000. Kinda tough to justify all that hassles involved with starters after that. 

If you like the flavor and limitation, no problem.  Just not for me.

#35 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:46 AM

If you like the flavor and limitation, no problem.  Just not for me.

Well, I can't say I've actually drank any of it in beer form. :blush:

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:54 AM

if you really hate starters you should give dry a try again.  maybe a US-05 MLPA?

Yeah, I do not care for 05. It has been very unreliable in terms of how it comes out. I have had it give me peachy-apricot esters and it shouldn't be from warm fermentations because I try to ferment my ales cool.

#37 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

Well, I can't say I've actually drank any of it in beer form. :blush:

Well, that's a different situation.

Yeah, I do not care for 05. It has been very unreliable in terms of how it comes out. I have had it give me peachy-apricot esters and it shouldn't be from warm fermentations because I try to ferment my ales cool.

Supposedly it's cool fermentation that causes those esters with 05.

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

Supposedly it's cool fermentation that causes those esters with 05.

I have heard that too.  I guess I am lucky that I do not get them or I do not notice them and I ferment 05 at about 62.  Or they are there and my hops cover them up.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

I have heard that too.  I guess I am lucky that I do not get them or I do not notice them and I ferment 05 at about 62.  Or they are there and my hops cover them up.

we also ramp up the temp though.  i'm not sure if that is a factor.

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

do you mean you were getting different results every time?  I have not experienced that as of late.

now if you mean you just don't like it that makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users