Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

how to motivate myself to use liquid yeast again?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:40 AM

After years of telling myself that 05 was the same, I was astounded by the difference when I did a split batch comparison.

did you do a triangle test?

#42 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:41 AM

Better yet, did he rehydrate?  :devil:

#43 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:44 AM

BOOM!

so anyway - has anyone here used WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast?  I found a few reviews that seemed favorable.  It was mentioned that it was a slow worker but it did get the job done.

#44 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:12 PM

do you mean you were getting different results every time?  I have not experienced that as of late.

now if you mean you just don't like it that makes sense.

Sometimes clean, sometimes fruity, always a very high attenuator. Drez mentioned fermenting it at 62° and my guess is that I was 62-65° and the peach-apricot on a few beers was surprising. If it does what I want, I don't mind it but I don't like not knowing what it's going to do. 1056 or WLP001 never did that to me.

#45 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:17 PM

Morty, try something new, something outside your wheelhouse. I have a pack of 1099 coming today I'm going to employ in a blonde ale. Anyone ever use 1099 in a blonde?

#46 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

Morty, try something new, something outside your wheelhouse. I have a pack of 1099 coming today I'm going to employ in a blonde ale. Anyone ever use 1099 in a blonde?

Used it once in my Simcoe pale.  Sadly I had to dump the batch after I made a very noob mistake cold crashing.  It is on my list to try again. 

Evil - 1318 has been working good for me in a variety of beer, mild, porter and hoppy.

#47 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

Sadly I had to dump the batch after I made a very noob mistake cold crashing.  

Sounds like something I'd do. What happened?

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:27 PM

Sounds like something I'd do. What happened?

I was cold crashing with a better bottle that had a blow off tube.  I should have changed it out to a "s" airlock and instead as it got cold the carboy sucked in 2L's of blow off and sanitizer. 

#49 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

I was cold crashing with a better bottle that had a blow off tube.  I should have changed it out to a "s" airlock and instead as it got cold the carboy sucked in 2L's of blow off and sanitizer. 

Ouch 2L is a lot. If you had used an "s" airlock wouldn't it have sucked in air?

#50 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

Ouch 2L is a lot. If you had used an "s" airlock wouldn't it have sucked in air?

the "S" style will not "Suck Back"

#51 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

Used it once in my Simcoe pale.  Sadly I had to dump the batch after I made a very noob mistake cold crashing.  It is on my list to try again. 

Evil - 1318 has been working good for me in a variety of beer, mild, porter and hoppy.

that is a possibility but I'd have to order it.

#52 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

that is a possibility but I'd have to order it.

My bad, I forgot about that.  I can put some slurry in that box of beer I will be shipping up.

#53 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

maybe not the liquid but it would have to pull some air in at some point to reduce the difference in pressure.

My bad, I forgot about that.  I can put some slurry in that box of beer I will be shipping up.

:lol:  thanks for the offer but I'm a ways off from brewing.  I have a lot of beer on tap right now :cabbagepatch:

#54 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

Like Morty said, those will draw air back into the vessel as the liquid and headspace cool.

#55 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

maybe not the liquid but it would have to pull some air in at some point to reduce the difference in pressure.

At that point I was more concerned about liquid

#56 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:47 PM

At that point I was more concerned about liquid

I bet.  that must have been a said day in your household. 

#57 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:18 PM

I did

I did not

#58 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

I did not

I was wondering how many people who have had problems with US05 had pitched dry.

I have had the peach ester, and I think it always was when I tried to ferment cool (58-60F). I also pitched dry, in those cases. They were also only moderately hoppy beers, which may have allowed the flavor to come through.

#59 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:26 AM

I was wondering how many people who have had problems with US05 had pitched dry.

I have had the peach ester, and I think it always was when I tried to ferment cool (58-60F). I also pitched dry, in those cases. They were also only moderately hoppy beers, which may have allowed the flavor to come through.

or alternatively rehydrated improperly.

lately I've been getting what I think are pretty clean ferments from it.  first few days are at 63F and then I start ramping it up to 68-70F to help things finish off.  I'm looking to get back into to liquid mainly for variety, not b/c I'm unhappy with US-05 performance.

#60 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:56 AM

or alternatively rehydrated improperly.

lately I've been getting what I think are pretty clean ferments from it. first few days are at 63F and then I start ramping it up to 68-70F to help things finish off. I'm looking to get back into to liquid mainly for variety, not b/c I'm unhappy with US-05 performance.

If I could get 002 or Yorkshire in dry, I probably wouldn't by liquid ale yeast, either. I just don't use US05 much because I don't use American Ale yeast much. It was fine for what it is, but I think I might have had trouble when I tried to push it cleaner by fermenting cool, instead of using a Lager yeast.

Edited by Brauer, 23 July 2015 - 09:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users