Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

how to motivate myself to use liquid yeast again?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:34 AM

If I could get 002 or Yorkshire in dry, I probably wouldn't by liquid ale yeast, either. I just don't use US05 much because I don't use American Ale yeast much. It was fine for what it is, but I think I might have had trouble when I tried to push it cleaner by fermenting cool, instead of using a Lager yeast.

I used this recently and liked the results This is also one I would like to try https://www.rebelbre...e-dry-yeast-m03

Edited by drez77, 23 July 2015 - 09:35 AM.

#62 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

would the burton union be good for American styles?

#63 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:08 AM

would the burton union be good for American styles?

Worked out good for me in the Chinook/Citra APA.

#64 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

Worked out good for me in the Chinook/Citra APA.

I'll have to see if the LHBS carries it.

now that I see "M79" I remember you talking about this.

#65 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:14 AM

lots of complaints in one HBT thread I'm reading but I tend to take that stuff with a giant grain of salt.

#66 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:16 AM

lots of complaints in one HBT thread I'm reading but I tend to take that stuff with a giant grain of salt.

It can be slow to start, I knew that going in.  It is a decent alternative to have around.  I would also like to try M07 that is comparable to English Dry or WLP007

#67 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:36 AM

Lots of complaints other places, too

#68 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

Lots of complaints other places, too

In the end the best way to find out for yourself is to try it and see if it works for you.  As I said it works for me. 

#69 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:52 AM

It can be slow to start, I knew that going in. It is a decent alternative to have around. I would also like to try M07 that is comparable to English Dry or WLP007

I'm not thrilled with M07 in my EIPA. Not much character and the hops seem muted. I semi drauflassed it on brewday. Spun 1 gal of the wort on the plate for 5 hrs while the bulk of the wort got to pitching temps. It started bubbling and I stopped spinning then pitched it. It rocked out like Iggy Pop. Vigorous fermentation.

Edited by chils, 23 July 2015 - 10:54 AM.

#70 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

I'm not thrilled with M07 in my EIPA. Not much character and the hops seem muted. I semi drauflassed it on brewday. Spun 1 gal of the wort on the plate for 5 hrs while the bulk of the wort got to pitching temps. It started bubbling and I stopped spinning then pitched it. It rocked out like Iggy Pop. Vigorous fermentation.

Not what I would expect from something that is said to be like 007.  Thanks.

Have you tried any of their other yeasts?

#71 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

Not what I would expect from something that is said to be like 007. Thanks.

Have you tried any of their other yeasts?

Yep, the M84 Czech lager. It behaved as if the cell count was low. Wouldn't start when 2 packs were rehydrated and pitched at 50f. After 3 days I raised temp to 57 and it started a couple days later. Made a fantastic Svetly and repitched batches started at 50f and finished quickly. I said I'd always treat it like liquid with 50b cells per pack after that. Next time I will pitch 1 pack in a drauflassen starter and spin it till it starts at 50f, stop the stirplate, then let it sit overnight before pitching.

Edited by chils, 23 July 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#72 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

Yep, the M84 Czech lager. It behaved as if the cell count was low. Wouldn't start when 2 packs were rehydrated and pitched at 50f. After 3 days I raised temp to 57 and it started a couple days later. Made a fantastic Svetly and repitched batches started at 50f and finished quickly. I said I'd always treat it like liquid with 50b cells per pack after that. Next time I will pitch 1 pack in a drauflassen starter and spin it till it starts at 50f, stop the stirplate, then let it sit overnight before pitching.

I have to look it up but I think that is one downside also.  For a proper pitch 2 packs may be needed. 

#73 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:16 AM

I have to look it up but I think that is one downside also.  For a proper pitch 2 packs may be needed.

Usually yes, but not so much with the spun up drauflassen. I'm beginning to notice that actively fermenting starters ferment more quickly and clean than huge ones.

It could be iffy with 1 pack of this yeast but I'm willin to experiment. W34/70 does great with 1 pack pitched to drauflassen overnight. Better than 2 packs pitched rehydrated.

#74 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:23 AM

In the end the best way to find out for yourself is to try it and see if it works for you.  As I said it works for me. 

I always advocate that approach!

#75 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

If I could get 002 or Yorkshire in dry, I probably wouldn't by liquid ale yeast, either. I just don't use US05 much because I don't use American Ale yeast much. It was fine for what it is, but I think I might have had trouble when I tried to push it cleaner by fermenting cool, instead of using a Lager yeast.

have you tried the 3 Mangrove Jacks brit yeasts?

#76 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

It can be slow to start, I knew that going in.  It is a decent alternative to have around.  I would also like to try M07 that is comparable to English Dry or WLP007

it's a strong worker, good floccer, not 002 good, but good, leaves a dry minerally finish, but still lets malt show

edit I have only used it in dark beers, nothing hoppy, makes a good stout

Edited by miccullen, 23 July 2015 - 02:28 PM.

#77 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

have you tried the 3 Mangrove Jacks brit yeasts?

I used this recently and liked the results This is also one I would like to try https://www.rebelbre...e-dry-yeast-m03

I haven't tried them. I would like to if I ever see them around. 

#78 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:29 AM

I found  2 packs of M07 that I must have thrown onto an order earlier this year.  I guess I will give it a try and see if I have the same results as you.

#79 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:45 AM

so I'm reading now that the WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast might be the redhook yeast.  that kind of chills my excitement about trying it out -_-

#80 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

sort of related - has anyone read this blog entry?

httpss://whitepointerbrewery.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/searching-for-a-house-yeast-conan-vs-wyeast-1318-london-ale-iii/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users